Magic the Gathering

aaront222

Anyone else play Magic the Gathering out there?
General Magic the Gathering discussion.

Also- How's my deck look?
[b]Lands[/b][list]
[*]Forest x15
[*]Plains x5
[/list]
[b]Creatures[/b] [i](this is mostly an elf deck with the intent of overrunning the opponent)[/i][list]
[*][i][u]"Big" Creatures[/u][/i]
[*][i]Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger[/i]
[*][i]Spearbreaker Behemoth [i](gives stuff with 5+ power indestructible)[/i][/i]
[*][i]Drove of Elves x2 [i](not quite strong early game but it becomes amazing late game)[/i][/i]
[*][i][i][u]Other Creatures[/u][/i][/i]
[*][i]Llanowar Elves x2[/i]
[*][i]Elvish Eulogist x2[/i]
[*][i]Farhaven Elf x3[/i]
[*][i]Elivish Archdruid[/i]
[*][i]Tel-Jilad Fallen x2[/i]
[*][i]Viridian Corrupter[/i]
[*][i]Glistener Elf[/i]
[*][i]Viridian Emissary x3[/i]
[*][i]Sylvan Ranger[/i]
[*][i]Frontier Guide[/i]
[*][i]Darksteel Myr [i](equip with lure)[/i][/i]
[*][i][i]Soul's Attendant [i](gives me life and this deck is heavy on tokens)[/i][/i][/i]
[/list]
[i][i][i][b]Non-Creature Spells[/b][/i][/i][/i][list]
[*][i][i][i][i][u]Token Givers[/u][/i][/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Gilt-Leaf Ambush x2[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Presence of Gond x3[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i][i][u]Creature Powerups[/u][/i][/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Giant Growth x2[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Blanchwood Armor x2[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Untamed Might[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i][i][u]"Recovery" Spells[/u][/i][/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Blunt the Assault[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Nature's Spiral[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i][i][u]"Counter" Spells[/u][/i][/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Naturalize[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][i]Arrest x2[/i][/i][/i]
[*][i][i][u][u]Misc.[/u][/u][/i][/i]
[*][i]Lure (Equip this on Darksteel Myr)[/i]
[/list]
What do you think of that deck?
Should total 60 cards but I might have not mentioned multiple cards.

Edited by aaront222

I used to play a lot of magic. We have a hobby shop down here without much else to do, so I would compete in tournaments and such. I would suggest changing your deck to mono-green, mainly because control isn't what you're aiming for with a ramp/overrun deck, and there are more valuable spells to put in there.

Also, I think you should run around 21-23 land, rather than the base twenty. I find that even in a green deck, it's okay to run 23 mana. Instead of aiming for a "big" creature end-game, I would suggest -Spearbreaker, -infect junk, -sylvan ranger, -frontier guide, +global ramp spells, +cheap elves.

Also, get your hands on some wellwishers and capitalize on your elves. More elves like Imperious perfect and ezuri would be great if you decide to run elves as the majority. Vorinclex is pretty great, though. :) I see a pretty solid deck here, so remember that these are just suggestions.

You can take some advice and leave the rest of it, or go in a completely different direction. Oh, one afterthought: Do you have any Garruks? He's a pretty cheap planeswalker... and a reusable overrun.

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul

For a big creature deck, try getting overwhelming stampede and perhaps throwing in protean hydra as well.

Or perhaps that's just me being terrible at deck-building, but from what I've seen both are very good cards to go in a green deck.

I play MTG when I get the chance, but unfortunately there aren't all that many people in my hometown who play. I have a friend who's in town during the summer, though, and we always end up meeting regularly to play and exchange cards.

I wonder if there are any spells that give a creature Infect? That would be really awesome with a big creature deck, especially if you threw overwhelming stampede in while having a lot of creatures in play.

[quote name='J-D' timestamp='1327706903' post='102654']
I wonder if there are any spells that give a creature Infect? That would be really awesome with a big creature deck, especially if you threw overwhelming stampede in while having a lot of creatures in play.
[/quote]
It's called Triumph of the hordes, and it's great. :D It gives all of your creatures +1/+1 and infect. coupled with an overrun-like effect, it's lethal.

Edit: there are some others that target single creatures, but... I'm suggesting a small creature/overrun type deck.

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul

Garruk would definitely be something I would add to this deck if I could. The main reason I have Vorinclex is nostalgia. I open my first pack of cards and I see Vorinclex, I read him, and because he is really fun against mana intensive decks, and his massive manaboost goes well with Untamed Might when I attack with a 1/1 Infect.
Also, the lands aren't a problem because this deck does generally lack in mana acceleration but there are LOTS of creatures with land acceleration.
I'm going to a prerelease on Sunday with some friends, I'll probably get a Garruk, a few llanowar elves, and some overrun to replace the plains.

My school's Magic club bans infect and milling decks, says they're too cheap... they would not let me use Triumph of the hordes. Yet somehow we're still allowed to use Slivers and Allies.

They shouldn't ban things like that. What is this, a tournament?

Anyway... we should come up with some way to start a club for people who play MagicDuel and MTG. For obvious reasons, we wouldn't be able to meet in person, but maybe we could use Magic Workstation or something like that? ...

Just an idea, throwing it out to see if anyone's interested.

I read that for playing MTG over the internet Magic Workstation was a good idea, so that was the first program that came to mind, but then I go to the website and my antivirus software says "This website exhibited one or more risky behaviors"?

I am confused.

I installed in and ran a virus scan just for paranoia's sake. As it turns out, while it doesn't like the website, my antivirus program is perfectly okay with the program itself.

And now I've entered all of the cards from my Phyrexia deck.

<insert evil laugh here>

Edited by J-D

You can laugh evilly, apparently it won't let me use my elves because the cards aren't in the database or soemthing...
The deck builder has all the cards but the online play application says my card's don't exist.

Edit: Windows Explorer can't find the decks I made on the deckbuilder. Help?

Edited by aaront222