Responding surroundings through chat

Myth

I've seen a simillar suggestion, but mine is a little less constructive. I was thinking of responces triggered by certain chat lines that can be categorized as passwords (e.g. password: *Player talks into the well*; responce: *bats woosh out of the well, knocking Player on his back*)

This idea has no constructive aspect whatsoever. It's just meant to raise the mood of players that are just curios about what they see in various scenes. I'm thinking such responces would give a player the curiosity to explore more places and try out more of such actions. To not give a player the impression that this is all for nothing in the end, some scenes could generate a random resource from such actions, for example - action: *Player trips over a tree root*; reaction: *Player falls down the small hill, face-first in a herb patch. 1 Herb added to inventory*. This action could also land you in a different scene alltogether.

It's true, not everyone has this urge. I did, though, and I can't believe I'm the only person with such urges. :P Although I could be wrong. A way to let them know that some items respond is to tell them from the start - in the tutorial mode. After that it would be up to them to find a right combination. For better chances at obtaining a reaction, the same object could respond to a number of different actions.

Edit: for example, if the players' chat line contains key words such as "well" and "look", or "root" and "trip" the responce would be triggered.

Edit2: also, to balance the gain of a resource or item from my second example, the player could lose al his current APs (he would need to recover from such a fall) and perhaps gain a temporary handicap in that regard, such as half AP regeneration for 30 minutes, or perhaps a permanent -1 max APs. (wouldn't hurt too much, considering everyone gets +1 every 2 or 3 days, as I've seen it) Depending on the importance of the found item, the temporary or permanent handicap could be enhanced or lowered, to have a sense of balance in the situation.

Edited by Myth

• Root Admin

Edit2: also, to balance the gain of a resource or item from my second example, the player could lose al his current APs (he would need to recover from such a fall) and perhaps gain a temporary handicap in that regard, such as half AP regeneration for 30 minutes, or perhaps a permanent -1 max APs. (wouldn't hurt too much, considering everyone gets +1 every 2 or 3 days, as I've seen it) Depending on the importance of the found item, the temporary or permanent handicap could be enhanced or lowered, to have a sense of balance in the situation.

After about a year this rate of increase drops to prettymuch 0. its linear to about 180 days then goes exponential.

Aha... then the temporary handicap would be prefered. Another posibility could be to regain the permanent loss through a series of actions involving the found item. That could prove difficult for the player, though. Just a thought. :P

For interreactivity on some scene it would be probably better to have it set using either new clicy (old stile) or the ne clicy (object style)

ex.

one find an basket in an scene, clic on it .... the object go in is inventory , in using it it say in chat :" Tom Pouce (put the player name here) see an blue aple, is curious, take it and struck by its wonderfull smell ..:"

and an choice of possible actions is presented to the player: 1 ... 2 ... ate the apple 3 ...

upon chosing the chosen action is echo in chat  "Tom Pouce take an bite and feel wonderfull" (result powerup of 50 temporary action point)

or using old style clicy, clicy of an feature that can be highlight when mouse arrow is in an scene amd that clicy make similar action as above (but cannot be use for other scrip to keep no confusion)

that way you get your interactivity, and some chat action  ... and some powerups as bonus to  get player interested

That's another way, sure.

The reason I went with the 'password in chat' is that I find it more challenging, thus, more rewarding... if not in a material manner (improperly said, but meh) then at least in a spiritual one... I'd feel good about myself if I were to 'stumble' over actions that are well hidden.

The click-and-gain method I see in most games, so I personally find it obvious and a bit boring.