Quest: Create the DoB Icon

As many of you are aware...and regularly remind me...the alliance Defenders of Bob lacks an icon.

So following some artistic interest in game, my own laziness, and your collaborative pestering over the years... I thought I'd up the ante.

Bare in mind this doesn't mean the icon will be used, but I have faith your awesome skills may well mean one will be.

Quest Task:

Create an alliance icon for the Defenders of Bob.

Details:

• The icon must be complete. That means it has to be to the relevant specifications required to immediately be uploaded without need of any editing by higher powers.
  • 140x140px, .gif, in or around 3kb
  • It must be a hand-drawn original.
  • It must fit with the other icons - so it needs to be in colour.
  • Be innovative & make it fit what DoB and EH is about.
  • Give a brief bit of blurb with the picture, to explain why you designed it how you did.
  • Remember that the icon gets viewed as really small next to someone's name in chat as well as the bigger version, so when you upload the picture, please upload both sizes for us to look at.
  • You can collaborate - this means if one of you is an artist and the other a techie, one can draw and the other can do the digital manipulation. Or for example, one is an ideas person and the other is a skills person.
  • No more than 2 people can collaborate.
  • You can create more than one design if you want to.
  • By submitting your image to this quest you agree you allow the image to become property of MagicDuel if the higher powers consider it good enough to use as an official icon for the Defenders of Bob alliance.

Reward:

Potential to have your art as part of the game infrastructure - no guarantees there, but its a cool possibility.

A wishpoint to the winner. If two of you did it together, you each get a wishpoint.

A gold coin for second place, if two of you did it together, you each get a gold coin.

5 silver coins for third place, if two of you did it together, you each get 5 silver coins.

Judging: The DoB will be asked & some random picks. Public repping will also come in to it.

Fit to requirements

How well did you achieve your aim

Bobness

How well did you consider the smaller version of the icon

If you want to ask me any questions, either post here or send me a PM.

I'm not putting a time limit up for the moment because it is a bit involved, but at some point I will post again and give you a weeks warning before I close the quest.

Z

Edited by (Zl-eye-f)-nea

Ideally you get someone to design the big one, scale it down, then get a pixel artist to alter the small one. Currently we dont do this, but we could make the small alliance images look so much better if this practice was done.

In Opera Classic for instance, and IE < 7, the downscale for the playerlist icons is done via nearest neighbor, which looks terrible. The other modern browsers (Firefox & Chrome), along with IE >= 8, use bilinear scaling, which doesn't work very well due to the fact we are scaling it almost 6 times smaller than the source image. I could go through the current alliance images and create better quality scaled versions (Fant, as Paint.net labels it) if that's wanted?

Edit to try to bring it a bit more on-topic:

The main image of an alliance is actually 140x140 px. This version is displayed on you're profile page. The version seen in the user details area is 70x70 px. The version displayed in the player list is 12x12 px, but currently uses the 70x70 px version.

Edited by I am Bored

• 2 months later...

Yes they are hand-drawn, I did say this to you. They then get manipulated digitally off the original, not in place of the original.

In case of doubt, I said you could always talk to people who do MD artwork on a regular basis in colour, if they say otherwise, that's something else. I've said more than once it has to be hand-drawn.

Z

• Root Admin

Yes they are hand-drawn, I did say this to you. They then get manipulated digitally off the original, not in place of the original.

In case of doubt, I said you could always talk to people who do MD artwork on a regular basis in colour, if they say otherwise, that's something else. I've said more than once it has to be hand-drawn.

Z

The majority of MD artwork is hard drawn which then has colour overlaid. Things like alliance badges should be hand drawn I believe. Item images and avatars definitely need to be.

• Root Admin

So now it is done exactly as you descibed it Chewett. Little cosmetic changes happened only. I've updated it with round outline. Possible changes in brightness and final look based on feedback.

Its not really using the same process we do. The colours dont bleed through like they should. Look at the clickables and such ingame :)

Thats my professional view, Im not sure what Z wants, eitherway I really like it, looks like an ally logo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok unfortunately the situation is this: I have had a DoB ruling, but it's only made matters worse XD

There is a very clear balance here, half the population like one, half the other, and each time I ask for another opinion....it simply keeps re-balancing itself out. So, I'm going to make a call. The call is  mainly based on my own personal opinion, but I have also taken into consideration the fact that in actuality only one participant is still here prodding me repeatedly about this quest. So without further ado, the winners are Gonzalo and Eagle Eye.

Both Gonz and Dru were really considerate when designing their logos, really careful to want to get the feel right, and that was really appreciated. For me personally, I always envisioned a shield for the logo...the goat is an added humourous twist. I loved Druzik's concept of the god touching man symbology, but I wasn't so fond of the little girl's design.

I'll be discussing the logo with the powers that be and if we're very lucky, that little white square may actually have something in it soon :)

Well done guys, awesome work and I have to also applaud your patience - which has been second to none.

Z