Where this world is going?

Raven

This topic was inspired by chating with Ragnarok OnlineRPG about two hours and talking about issues and problems of modern world. More storms lately, problems with energy (oil prices, alternative energy) etc.

Post here what u think is gonna happen, who is guilty and express ur opinion on it.

Also any wild, bizarre theories u found/heard or u made :lol:

i dont know what i feel about the enviroment. is it getting worse or are we just paying more attention to it?

I think its getting worse since in my country we had 3 really bad storms and also one small tornado (ppl say that it wasn't such storms in last 50 years)

I live in Europe and tornado's are really rare or at least they were

I do believe our actions and pollution affect the environment, but I also think what we are seeing is a part of the natural cycle of things. We may hasten it but it will come in any case.

We all know from high school science that the earth has gone through ice ages....dosn't it seem natural that the opposite would also be true? Heat leaves less geographical evidence than ice does, so it seems natural that heat ages are not mentioned. What made the ice go away though?

These temparate ages (ice ages at least with proof) last hundreds of years...I think what we are experiencing with global warming is seeing the opposite and natural other end of the spectrum.

Are we messing up the environment? yes. Would it happen eventually anyway? yes, I think so.

We're a long way off from a global meltdown. I'm more concerned with the economy. We work ourselves to death just to break even. Companies send business overseas to save money, but they never pass the savings on to anyone. They just keep getting richer, then when we are about to get our retirement we saved up 40 years for, the company goes out of business and takes our money with it.

People come into other countries and work and never spend any money in that country, they just mail their earnings back to their families in other countries and so we wonder why economies keep getting worse.

Companies keep making products out of cheaper materials that break easily, but they keep charging more and more for it. I hardly ever see real wood furniture anymore. It's always made out of pressed wood or plastic dust, and still costs $200-300. What happened to hand carved wood furniture made from real trees?

well u forgot to tell that most of product comes from Asia country's like China etc. that are really cheap.

Making other country's really expensive and hard to sell anything.

As about cheaper materials and same prices. There is a bigger prices for good wood and other pure materials forcing those that are skilled in crafting out of job.

• 3 weeks later...
We're a long way off from a global meltdown. I'm more concerned with the economy. We work ourselves to death just to break even. Companies send business overseas to save money, but they never pass the savings on to anyone. They just keep getting richer, then when we are about to get our retirement we saved up 40 years for, the company goes out of business and takes our money with it.

Those savings are passed directly to consumers. It's one of the reasons that computers cost $400 instead of $2000 like they did in the 90's.

If you look at the profit margins of companies with outsourced manufacturing, take Walmart for example, you'll find that they're dismally low. Companies have to push low cost low profit items in order to remain competitive and establish customer loyalty. It's volume keeping these places afloat and not high profitability, and they simply couldn't push that much volume by shafting you and I, the consumer.

I think you underestimate the benefits of outsourcing and have a misplaced hatred for the all-powerful "Corporation".

People come into other countries and work and never spend any money in that country, they just mail their earnings back to their families in other countries and so we wonder why economies keep getting worse.

That's an issue but if you're talking about US immigration, you'd have to weigh the possible affects of NAFTA into the equation. In the long run, the US economy/GDP is leaps and bounds ahead of Canada and infinitely greater than Mexico's.

Companies keep making products out of cheaper materials that break easily, but they keep charging more and more for it. I hardly ever see real wood furniture anymore. It's always made out of pressed wood or plastic dust, and still costs $200-300. What happened to hand carved wood furniture made from real trees?

I don't know where you're buying your furniture, but my wife and I purchased an entire bedroom set from Target for under $800. That was back in 2004, and we still use all of the pieces today. Now, how many years would we have had to use them in order to make our money back? Say we had bought each piece for $800 instead of spending that total. With two dressers and two nightstands we'd be looking at close to $3000. For that price, we could have afforded to buy new "cheap" furniture every year for three years and still come out ahead. I'd say we are getting our money's worth out of the products we purchased.

Same with the last DVD player we bought. It cost us $35, in contrast to the $100 Sony. At $35, we could have bought 3 for the price of the single Sony unit, and the one we purchased is still working.

Also, we did buy a wooden head and end board set for our bed...you can get real wood furniture, you've just got to shop around for it. It helps if you have an Amish community near by. Now, we live in the suburbs of Cleveland Ohio so when I say nearby I mean within 100 miles :D

I am sure that I will have the pleasure to see the monetar system down. I'm 45!

There will come a day when you gonna have only what you can do by your self, or get by exchange in a tight neighborod.

And then the nature won't be by our side.