[Necrovion]The Wise Words Of Glaistig (Completely Based On Real Facts And Deeds Ingame)

The Glaistig!

So inhuman in strength and beauty

one might think it has

the powerful legs of a knator

and queer torso of a water daimon

hidden under its green robe.

The Glaistig!

While chances are you will find it regally composed

should you anger it, you will find its true face

is not beauteous nor kind in the least,

but that of a human crone

twisted in cruel hatred,

immovable fury like those of shades.

The Glaistig!

While it has no need to,

it shepherds the children of the world,

those new to its ways.

When desperately summoning for help,

it mercifully appears so they can hearken

to its unsurmountable wisdom.

The Glaistig! The Glaistig! The Glaistig!

I am Glaistig. I don't really know the exact meaning of my name, nor does it really mean something special to me; I just became aware that others needed something to call me by, and after searching for inspiration for a bit to no avail, I picked "Glaistig" because it seemed as good as any other.

I'm not pretentious and I won't say that I'm this or that strong, beautiful, wise or kind and my life is dedicated to some sort of admirable cause or another. If you really want to know what directs my actions, I just do whatever strikes my fancy. But--I think it would be very befitting of me if I grew powerful, stunning, astute and indulgent, right? Maybe this is what people would chant:

"The Glaistig!

So unhuman in strength and beauty

one might think it has

The Glaistig!"

Of course, I am entirely human, just like you. But as of now, with nothing better to guide me, that's my quest. I am going to grow powerful beyond imagining, so as to inflict punishment on any who crosses me, and people like you will behold me in awe.

Power doesn't come solely from bashing everyone in sight. Not true power, anyway. Power is the enabling element of the world. If you only know how to get easy wins, you won't last long. Knowledge, in fact, is the fodder for power, as knowing things will enable you to do things. Thus, being of the inquisitive sort, it's only natural that I'm quite suited to power.

Anyway, the only reason why I'm not the most powerful in the world right now is because I'm not in any particular rush. There is no need, when it will happen eventually anyway. Those who think themselves far ahead of me don't know that their seat of glory is quite temporary. If they were wise like me, they would take the quest for power leisurely and let other things distract them. After all, you learn most when you are patient... DON'T question what I say. I can turn you into a frog, if you'd like.

In any case, I've already accomplished a considerable amount. When I had only the mindpower to learn three principles of the world, I was able to get into Loreroot without any fuss at all. I impressed the ferryman so much with the feats of my mind, that he was compelled to take me on a trip. On the same day, the Drachorn Master decided I was worthy of having my own drachorn. I've walked through both the Howling Gates and the Gates of Ages, too. When you think of all that, it isn't surprising that whenever others hear my name, they think they see stars. I've done so much in such an early stage of my quest. I'm sure you're quailing at the thought of how much I can do in the future.

And then, when I am in the position to inflict my wrath on all those who have slighted me thus far, they'll say whisper to each other:

"The Glaistig!

While chances are you will find it regally composed

should you anger it, you will find its true face

is not beauteous nor kind in the least, but that of a human crone

twisted in cruel hatred, immovable fury like those of shades.

The Glaistig!"

That, surely, is wrong, although it's certainly understandable that such imbeciles would think that when my steely glare petrifies them in their fear. However, many know to the contrary. I am very selfless and share from my bountiful knowledge freely with those who are lost and in need of direction. In fact, when enough experience my benevolence, they'll probably say something like this:

"The Glaistig!

While it has no need to,

it shepherds the children of the world,

those new to its ways.

When desperately summoning for help,

it mercifully appears so they can hearken

to its unsurmountable wisdom.

The Glaistig!"

Yess.. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't already being said, though I'm not presumptuous and wouldn't assume it. But, it is likely that they are so awed that they cannot say such things openly, don't you think? Mayhaps that will change in time, when they become aware that the awe is shared.

Hmm.. would you like to listen to the musings of this being who will grow so great it will be beyond your comprehension? This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance; when I reach my aspirations, I will no longer have the time to tell others my ponderings, and you will be able to say that I spoke to you personally. Could you possibly underestimate the effect that will have on the unfortunates? Additionally, there is no doubt that you will find things of interest and use in my anecdotes.

~~~

Once upon a time, a while back, actually, I was actually in favor of Necrovion. I was misled by the shades' endearing nature, and wanted to become their glorious master as they quite struck my fancy. Or what their nature appeared to be, anyway. My disenchantment occurred slowly. It so happened that there was another interested in meeting shades. This short, rotund creature was called Khalazdad.

Yes, this is the same Khalazdad who is now leader of the Necrovion alliance, the chosen of the shades. Doubtless you have heard of his capricious whims.

Back then, he was on a quest for knowledge, which agreed with me. I have, after all, already said that I am of the inquisitive sort and appreciate that power stems from knowledge. In any case, he wanted to learn more about the nature of shades.

I knew him as a congenial fellow, meeting him occasionally whenever the Knator Commander (that annoying beast..) told engaging stories. I had mentioned before that I could enter Necrovion, and knowing this, he confided his wish to me, and said that the most probable way to go about this was to attract the attention of the shades. I would not pass the chance up, and offered to help him. We decided to stand vigil by the Howling Gates and express our desires to meet the shades, offering eggs--nothing of the sort had been done before.

Of course, I could already get into Necrovion, but I only had access to the outer parts. This was more than most people then, but all the same, no shades would appear before me. After all, I could be considered an intruder, I suppose. Well, not really, but no need to talk about that.

Anyway, we spent the first night in the cause alone. On the second day, it was thought advisable to seek others who would help us gather attention, as two is a small amount to do something of the magnitude we were attempting. While he continued to voice his thoughts at the Gates, I began spreading the message. Many hearkened, and asked for more information. This was what Khalazdad told them:

About the mission

Wodin seeks to make war on the shades. Not far from

here he trains an army for this purpose. we attack them

on sight, also, trying to improve our access to parts of

this world and to improve the abilities of the creatures

attached to us. But no measure of understanding is

sought.

We encounter one shade who tries to communicate - it

gives us a small cube into which we are imprisoned; it

seems to carry us to a different version of this place

where the spirits of the dead can talk. Marind speaks

to us then in a fae carnivale.

At no other time do the Shades speak in this realm.

We wonder about the nature of the Shades. Some call

them evil - and yet they have never attacked us

directly. Some call them morally neutral but dangerous

- the Knator Commander is in this camp. Other say they

seek only power and energy. None name them beneficient.

The nature of the shades may reflect our own nature. We

do not know how we came to be in this place; is this the

heaven or hell of another plane? Limbo? Why do we

start formless then gradually develop bodies? If we can

answer questions about the shades, perhaps we will know

more about ourselves.

Thus we stand by the gates of Necrovion, exhorting the

Shades to contact us. We offer them energy - if they

need heat, we have it; if they can feed on eggs, we have

them. Our vigil is steadfast.

In a short amount of time, there was a crowd at the Gates who wanted to be part of the experience. We didn't know, really, if anything would happen at all. I'm sure we probably looked like fools to many others who also heard our call and decided to ignore it. But as you likely know, something did happen. It was a most curious sensation; one moment, we were at the Gates, still clamoring. The next, we were transported into Necrovion, at the Well of Tears. I had already been there before, but the others had not and there was chaos at first. Eventually, things got sorted out and we set off to explore as a group.

After we saw the desolation of the Trial of Agony, the Eternal Toiler, and trekked through the Demented Ascent and saw the House of Tainted Times, we began wondering what to do. Necrovion was a barren land, and there was nothing much to keep our attention; there were no shades to greet us.

We discovered the mutilated C, and it seemed like great figures were joining our party out of nowhere: Wodin Ullr, Mur, RJ, Shoeps, the ferryman and drachorn master. While some wondered at this, I was more concerned about the shades.

We all gathered before the entrance to the Caves of Torment. It would have been unthinkable to enter, but Khalazdad thought that our best bet was to repeat what we had been doing: try to get a shade to appear before us with offerings of eggs and heat, only this time closer to where they lurked.

For a time nothing new occurred. A campfire was built, and within time, people once again raised their voices to consider the next action. However, it was in the midst of this that we noticed someone who hadn't been amongst us before: a dark figure, not completely discernible; humanlike, yet having an aura of something else completely.

It was a shade, of course.

Chaos reoccurred. The shade did not seem especially malevolent, though it demanded an answer as to why we were there. Apparently, it was a force not originating in Necrovion that moved us into the Necrovion territory. Almost everyone was asking questions at once, and I am still surprised to this day that Khalz was able to rein them in as the leader of the mission and get them to speak one at a time.

It goes to say that he had admirable authority. He still does today, although I now question why others think so highly of it.

A Q&A session began. Although we promised to answer any questions the shade, which seemed equally curious about humans as we of them, the questioning was mostly on our part. However, it's not the words that I shall tell you, as they are near irrelevant to me even today. What I did note, with shock, was that the vision of a skull kept on reappearing before me when I looked at the shade.

This felt completely wrong to me. I had believed that shades did not have any bones, and were quite immaterial. It broke the picture of what I had thought them to be, and I immediately felt discouraged from associating with the mission from then on. I still felt disillusioned after the meeting, and openly expressed my dismay. Later, encouraged by Khalz, I asked Wodin about it, and learned that shades in general didn't have skulls, nor the one we met. It was actually a sign of something else, which I do not see the need to go into at the moment.

Nonetheless, the damage was done. I was no longer sure that shades and Necrovion were right for me, in my heart. Outwardly, I reconciled with Khalazdad and the mission, and decided to meditate on the recent events for a week.

When I returned, a lot had occured. Khalazdad seemed greatly changed, and no longer just wanted to learn about the shades and Necrovion. Apparently, the shades had picked him to lead the human army in the upcoming war. While in truth I was slightly jealous of his position, I rejoiced at the opportunity to join the Necrovion side. However:

"I do not know if I want you in my alliance, nor my army. You have shown yourself to be vain and only care about appearances. Can that be called a true believer of the Necrovion might?"

The rejection smarted greatly. I retreated to think on the matter, and returned to tell him that shades appealed to me because of all of their characteristics, their appearance included because it was part of the nature I had been led to believe was theirs. And to this he said:

"I cannot accept what you say to be the truth, not when you have failed previously. You lack conviction; if this were truly so, you would not have wavered in your answer."

Hateful traitor! I am entirely human and sometimes in the heat of things my thoughts get confused and need some sorting. Of course, I didn't say that to him. My thoughts needed some sorting.

In a little time, I heard Necrovion alliance member dst beckon, "Join the dark side! We have cookies and coffee."

Now, does that seem hypocritical? How could Khalazdad refuse those who weren't "true believers" and in the meanwhile allow his own underling try to recruit with bribes? I confronted him once again. And his response:

"Actually, I didn't refuse you because you are an untrue believer, but because of your vacillation. Come back when you have shown you are dedicated to Necrovion."

At this, I was rather confused. Did he not just contradict the words he uttered before? I wondered a great deal if he had simply forgotten what I said to him and his responses, or if he simply didn't care enough to bother thinking about it. He didn't seem at all like the intelligent being I had grown to like.

In any case, frustration became paramount. I didn't want to join an alliance led by someone like this new Khalz, or even help the shades if this was the choice they made, when they could've picked if not myself, someone like me. At the very least, I could not join when my worth was underestimated. Unappreciative bastards like Khalazdad could lose a dedicated supporter for all I cared.

I made my decision: I would exact retribution on Khalazdad and the shades, the former a loser and the latter lame. The only thing next was which alliance I would pick: Golemus or Loreroot. While the first is more active against the shades, I was not very particular to being led by someone like Wodin. He is a proud fool, one who bullied my dear pet when she was only expressing her opinion. After all, his cape and sword are rather silly-looking, are they not?

Nor did I really enjoy the prospect of entering the Loreroot alliance. I had met the Knator Commander before, and he did not seem very pleasant at all—instead, a rash, brutish creature which leaps to conclusions quickly and only likes those who shower him in compliments (although he does have a bit of knowledge you can call on). Honest, his singing can't really be called music; it sounds just like normal noise except the words are all nonsense.

However, I had heard that a nymph would help lead the alliance. I met the Golemus Nymph, and it didn't seem aggravating like either Wodin or the KC. I thought it likely that this Nelya nymph would be similar. The Lorerootian nymph tipped the balance to Loreroot's favor, and they are lucky to have me on their side today. The state of affairs is more or less agreeable, I suppose, as it is really NelyaSetesh holds the alliance together. The KC hardly ever attends to the alliance he formed. In fact, I do not believe he has said a word directly to us as a whole.

Some may think that my desire for revenge is laughable, and consider my position in the Loreroot alliance ridiculous as my first priority isn't protecting the land. They do not know that hate is a powerful motivator, and willpower is the element that brings all things into motion. Hate can inspire love for those who would ally against your enemies, and in this way I love Loreroot. It may not be pure as another love, but with both hate and love I have vast motivation.

Oh, and one more thing: if Khalazdad happens to get wind of this, I would like him to know that I need no reaction from him. All his thus far have been worthless and I don't trust any new ones to be better, so I'll just ignore if he does stupidly bother to dispute anything I've said.

~~~

Still here? My, aren't you just a precocious one. Well, I shall reward you for your display of insight and sense in listening to one great as I. Because logically I'm the best choice, I am the spymaster for Loreroot. Don't gape, or else I'll rethink my judgment of you! It's nothing special, and it means nothing if others know this. All it means is that I oversee the espionage of Loreroot. I can use the precious few people like you who show cunning. If you would like to work for the cause of Loreroot, here is your opportunity; just say so. Discreetly, of course, I'd hope you have enough wit to know that. Dear me, was I mistaken about you? Well hurry about it now!

~~~

Hmm? Oh, I joined Necrovion. Rejoined, rather. Well, it's not like I ever quit. This is what I told the members of Loreroot:

I have sincere words I would like to leave to this alliance which may or may not be useful and interesting; either way, they communicate my true feelings, and I always feel the need to do that.

I am leaving this alliance~ I would like to say that I really liked being a Lorerootian Guardian. I agree with the philosophy of this alliance and I love our community. I know that in the time after I leave this alliance will grow stronger than ever. Loreroot would be my first loyalty and I would stay in this alliance if Necrovion did not have an alliance.

I joined the Guardians of the Root as a Necrovion spy. I could've spied in the Golemus alliance or the Seekers of Enlightenment because they both offered me a spot, but Khalazdad placed me in Loreroot. My duty was to report anything that Loreroot did concerning Necrovion. I found myself spying on other groups more than on the activity of Loreroot. In all my time in the alliance, I never reported anything that could've damaged Loreroot or help Necrovion (greatly)--an attestation to the strength of the guardians which garnered my great respect.

I was planning to stay and become the Master of Spies in the alliance, reporting to Khalazdad information from spies who thought they reported to Loreroot. However, today I was notified that Khalazdad no longer feels the need for a spy to moniter Loreroot. It is a symbol of his faith in any of Loreroot's decisions that may occur in the future. He said I could stay in Loreroot if I wanted--because I might still be of use despite a lack of need--but I could not resist the temptation to be true to all and openly show my devotion to the Necrovion shades now that the opportunity has come.

I hope Necrovion and Loreroot can help each other in the future! icon_cheers.png

And now, I will leave Loreroot in time to escape Nelya's wrath--may she suntan in serenity.

~~~

Well, I suppose I might as well clear up some confusion that may exist. Sure, at one point, I did feel weirded out by the skull-symbol, but once that was cleared up, my devotion and admiration belonged to the shades once more. Khalazdad never once refused me. I would have picked Loreroot instead of Golemus had Khalazdad refused me for the reasons I listed, but the actual reason was that Khalazdad thought he might need me as a spy there more than in other alliances. I think those are the only discrepancies between what happened and what I said.

Shades are cute!~

Okay, end of roleplaying. Everything I wrote is based on ingame events. You may comment if you wish, and no need to be in character, but if you want to I don't care. I'll even reply incharacter if appropriate. That's why I'm putting this in spoiler tags, so as not to ruin the mood.

Edited by Shadowseeker

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the story-thing to reflect current events, if anyone cares. And don't flame me. Everything I wrote was based on real events ingame--like, all that stuff I wrote about Khalazdad refusing me and being a hypocrite? That was what I told others ingame! It is based on ingame deeds, even if it isn't true!

n_n Necrovion~ Shades~

The Glaistig!

So inhuman in strength and beauty

one might think it has

The Glaistig!

..................And now, I will leave Loreroot in time to escape Nelya's wrath--may she suntan in serenity.

Nice Homework, I hope you got an A+ for that :D

I wonder how much time I spent total writing it.. n_n;

One thing: We dont know if shades are inmaterial or not. The skull you saw was only the logo of the alliance. That doesn't mean shades are made of bones, wich i doubt.

Regards,

Braiton

I don't know if shades are completely immaterial and if they have matter or not, but I at least know they're not made out of flesh and bones.

One thing: We dont know if shades are inmaterial or not. The skull you saw was only the logo of the alliance. That doesn't mean shades are made of bones, wich i doubt.

Regards,

Braiton

I think I once saw someone posting somewhere in the forums the head of the Shade Sentinel, who has that exact skull head...

Hum, well, you know, back then alliances still weren't released yet to the public. If it was an alliance, it was named the "Dead Kings" rather than "Necrovion Sentinels." I haven't seen the Sentinel for a while so I don't know if that changed or not.

I think a skull is a pretty bad alliance logo. It's ugly, in contrast to the shade's charm. Why is it our logo anyway? Shades don't have skulls, and we represent the shades. >_>