unfolding map

Perlesvaus

Looking at the map on the menu something pops immediately at the eyes of the player. In the map you can see clearly areas in which you cannot enter at the beginning, like Loreloot and Necrovion, while for example the MDA are not present.

It could be nice, or at least more realistic, if the map has the "fog of unknown", with the inaccessible areas shaded or greyed: you know they are there, but you cannot see the content. Once you find the method to enter, the shade disappears and you can see the details.

Personally I'd find even more fun in exploration, if I don't know what is awaiting for me. And in this way, the inaccessible areas become even more mysterious and intriguing!

Ah, and it could be nice to see the MDA there...

all i can really think to say is that it would require large amounts of space, which in turn would increase lag, for this to work, imagine every single player having an additional bit of information which may be unique to them (depending on how you do it)

the MDA map i think is in work, not entirely sure though, but it isn't completed anyway, i dont think

It wouldn't be that hard to do... Just like the Berzerker's Puzzle or some other thing like that, entrance into Loreroot, Marind's Bell, GG, and Necrovion could open up their map.

Although I suppose you gain the map from the Paper Cabin... and so a past explorer has already found everything before you.

But I really like this idea, it adds an element of mystery.

Awi

i like the idea, dont get me wrong, but if you do it as in you enter Necro and then suddenly the whole area becomes visable on the map then that's just odd if you havent explored it all, and if you do it screen loca making a small area of Necro visible then there's huge amounts of info to store as there's over 100 different locations on the map which might be unique per person

It could be explained that every time you open a door in the Magic Duel world, your scroll shows you the world that lies beyond.

This is a place of magic, why not a magical scroll? It's not as if each of us are creating the maps we keep around. For christ's sake, we get high so we can fight a tree.

Awi

[quote name='Grido' post='24106' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:24 AM']i like the idea, dont get me wrong, but if you do it as in you enter Necro and then suddenly the whole area becomes visable on the map then that's just odd if you havent explored it all, and if you do it screen loca making a small area of Necro visible then there's huge amounts of info to store as there's over 100 different locations on the map which might be unique per person[/quote]

Well, I think opening the whole region when you can enter is still better than now. It's kind of symbolic for the area you can access.

Besides, a player must work in order to enter these regions, it'd be an additional satisfacion (I'd say also a push to do it, in case there's really the need of it :D ) seeing a whole part of the game appear also visually when I get the entrance.

Thanks Awiiya for the support :)

Who says it can't do that? Of course you would be given a map of No Man's Land to begin with.

When you enter Marind's Bell you'll be given Marind's Bell as well.

I can't see any new person getting lost because they don't have a map of GG or Necro to begin with... they just don't need that yet.

Awi

I'm always slow to reply :P

Liberty, the map won't be all black, it will show only the areas that you can actually access.
So an unfolding map would be even more useful to the player, especially the newcomer. In this way it will be immediately evident where they can go and where they can't! :D

And yes, I think many people are waiting the map of the MDA ^^

nah ppl you dont understand, if you can access specific land like marind bell, all players can access only 50% of it, same thing is with other lands too, or its even more worse you can access even less percentage of that land, so it really depends, i can access only 80-90% of lands in marinds bell, other for example can access 50% or the ones who have more locations unlocked in there can access more like 60-70% percent of marinds bell, this is just an example, and btw it would be only interesting to new players for short periods of time, like first weak after that they will want to know how its called that location in there in black field, at least small clue how it looks like etc, also there are technical problems in making this idea to work, and just to remind you all something or to tell something new to ones who didnt knew that, it isnt meant for player to visit all locations, there is 80% of what you see, everybody else does, and rest 20% is unique, well not that much unique, but it depends from player to player based on choices in story line, so actually at your best you wont see more than 70% of game world (well if you are ultra rpc like simplyzero is then you will see more, but otherwise it wont work) and its like 50% or so of game complete game world that we all see, rest 20% percent or so is "unique" from player to player, and 30% or so we never see :P so now you judge if map is useful or not, and how much spam in chat and on pms it will go begging for more infos about black areas on map :)) this map he currently have is at least telling us something, we know something we can imagine how things are, how they look like, etc

btw tell me in real world, would it be fun for you if you never saw map of whole world, whole country, whole region, whole city..... maybe it would when you were a child, but if you are like 20-25 years old, would you like it? no you wouldnt, it would be frustrating :P same thing ingame, coz ppl after time would want knowledge and that could be point that slows them down on theirs work

also i said as well whats the meaning of map, and we all as players arent the ones who makes map :P its work for individual, and we all use his work