Items idea

Jubaris

maybe this isn't new, but haven't seen the idea on forums so i want to share some thoughts... :P

items players posses don't do anything, they help out just role play, well, i'm interested in making items that can do something, like spells, but instead these items can be traded or scripted to use by everyone
for example character named, lets say, John, posses an orb of fire, he can boost everyone's heat in the same place for 1k in exchange of max AP (just an example)
or lets say staff of the Oak Fort, summon 5 adult knators if the item owner is near Loreroot

or maybe an item not in possesion of players, clickable on the map, but you will have to have some requirements to use its effects... (example: you need to have 100 elemental principle)

what do you think? of course im hoping that you people will update my idea or similar :D

maybe something like Palantirs (from Lord of the Rings)

Edited by dst
Merging posts

We share the same thought =D Well, I just thought of a more modest uasge of items, but it would be even greater if it can be as various in usage as your idea has stated. It's probably gonna take some time before (if) it gets implemented though..

I think quantity is the bigger issue with items. Having witnessed part of the auctions yesterday, I admit there was more activity than I originally expected, but I still think items are mostly a collector thing. If the quality/power of items is increased, it will increase their collection value. My understanding is that characters in MD aren't supposed to be equal, that there is room for legendary ones, but I consider the following offer an abuse of power:
"Trade you my Spell Doc (rare) for your iron nails'
Such is not an equal trade. The spell doc is not lost to the one that offered the deal; the same deal can be offered again and again, while people that have an item can only trade it once. I hope this is not how a legendary collector will be born.

Quality wise the suggestions are rather powerful, how about some weaker versions? An item could have a limited number of uses, after which it ceases to exist. I have nothing against artifacts with unlimited uses, but right now there shouldn't be anyone with enough coins and wish points to buy one.

i agree Kafuuka, like i said, i want you people to "fix" my idea :D
limited number of uses sounds good

also, like i said, i would want clickable objects with requirements for their usage with unlimited number of uses, but they would drain your action points to zero to prevent you from doing same thing again and again... something like that
i just have to come up with a good idea for that kind of item for MD (or wait till someone posts it here :P

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

[quote name='Kafuuka' post='29825' date='May 1 2009, 06:17 AM']. . . but I consider the following offer an abuse of power:
"Trade you my Spell Doc (rare) for your iron nails'. . .[/quote]

I didn't attend the auction yesterday, so I didn't witness this firsthand, but I am appalled that someone would trade their spell document for an item.

[quote name='Willem RedBeard' post='29841' date='May 1 2009, 11:27 AM']I didn't attend the auction yesterday, so I didn't witness this firsthand, but I am appalled that someone would trade their spell document for an item.[/quote]

[spoiler]*coughsjuniordiditcoughs*[/spoiler]and of couse refuses to trade which is really hurting me doing a quest from kragel to create a item

All one has to do is to look at the top person on the Item Owners list to know exactly who is offering his spell document in trade for items. The trade is incredibly lopsided and I feel only a modicum of pity for anyone who fell for such a dubious trade.

Furthermore, this individual's role, which was questionable to begin with, has nothing to do with collecting and hoarding items. He, and collectors like him, completely neutralize the point of items. They were introduced to enhance one’s role.

I would like to see "disposable items" or something similar. Something that has no more value beyond the other items, but of which there are more copies in circulation and that have a chance of degrading or breaking, but are renewable in some manner.
Perhaps there could be several spells which PWRs could use which would create these temporary items, perhaps allowing them to set a time frame over which they degrade and eventually break.

Actually, I am planning something like this with Kragel (well, I have yet to speak more about it with him, but we've talked about the early idea). While there is no direct method of destroying an item right now, Kragel and I will collect 'raw materials' items, such as metals etc as a required ingredient when requesting custom-made items, and then we will throw the item away to an alt named dumpster or something (well, you get the idea) so it will practically be used up. Of course, the item will be returned to the game's circulation periodically, most probably through quests that give raw materials as rewards.
Actually, I'm thinking of proposing the same method to help regulate silver (and later gold) coin flows in the market. World bank anyone?

Not necessarily lots and lots of quests. You can do let's say one quest and the first 5 get an item.
Or a mega quest which ends when all the items are gone. Then gather another x items and do another mega quests. There are solutions...now we need RPCs eager to work :D