reading old threads and scouring MD history and lore

though there are some i don't read intentionally
for fear of encountering spoilers too great it will break the game for me

i've asked a few questions now and then, but prefer to explore on my own
until i hit a blank wall :unsure:

reading some of the old threads and MD lore
i got struck with what i can only call as MD awe
it's something that will be very hard to shake off for everyone else like me
who joined the game at a point when MD is already more than 2 (or is it 3?) years old

it makes me ask the question: how can i, a lonely beginner
ever hope to catch up to a veteran players and hope to make something of myself
and perhaps even become a legend someday?

it's not even simply the fear of being deficient in form and substance
of discovering every secret in the game
it's the fear of having totally missed out on much of the crucial experience in the game
when it was just being birthed, or while it was growing
that is giving me this feeling of inadequacy

for example, even if i do catch up and somehow matches the level of veterans here
i won't be able to say in the future: i was here at the very beginning
when MD was being made - when thrones on each land was just being contemplated
when there was no history before until Mur said the word

i also can't quite escape the feeling of being an outcast
somewhere along the line of MD there formed a clique
of who's who and who's not
and anyone else new coming along
can only either become a worshipper or a follower
but never a pioneer

this is not a rant thread, but simply a way of telling how i feel about MD
from a newbie's perspective

more than feeling inadequate

i feel sad that i have lost a great opportunity to be here when MD started
even though having "lost" an opportunity i never had in the 1st place
since i never knew of MD before as something silly of a concept,
i still feel sad only because now i'll never know
i'll keep on second guessing myself

how did i fail to find MD when it was just starting?

lastly, i feel the task ahead is great and really very daunting
i am tempted to take the short route and spoil everything for me
i am afraid that once i commit to fully enter MD
nothing will suffice except my full devotion

but perhaps the greatest fear i hold
is that everything that might be worth doing
and worth role-playing have already been taken
and done many times over by the veterans
not literally, i know - what i meant was
everything that i like or probably would have done if it hadn't been done before

Well I suppose I can understand how you might feel this way, but the reality is you really shouldn't. Plenty of people who joined the game well after it's creation have found a place for themselves, it's really not so much a matter of having experienced MD from the beginning but of finding a way to express yourself creatively.

There is no chance that all the things you might think of have been done by some veteran before you, there is after all infinite possibilities when you use your imagination (of course I can't promise that the Simpson's won't have done it before :unsure:.

Remember everyone started out with nothing to go on, which goes even more so for the few people who were here at the birth of MD, what got people to where they are was some work, determination, and more than anything they just keep coming back regardless of if they have RPC or PWD status.

And though there may have indeed be events which you may have missed there are logs of may of them lying about (and it sounds as though you are already reading up on those). Besides the future is sure to bring more and more Changes and Interesting things for years to come. Ideas come flowing in from everywhere, perhaps Most from Mur but Many creations and Events in MD have actually come from Players who thought of something to add and put their own effort into creating it.

And Above all else, remember the Journey is it's own Reward. Don't rush yourself into trying to become something, let yourself evolve into that which you already are...

(Ok I may have gotten a bit Cliche at the end there...)

There are many people on the RPC list even that are new, that were not here at the beginning, nor are they MRD. Akasha, for instance, she is a rather new player, just started what? A month or two ago? :unsure:

She has found herself a high powered role in GG, as well as on the RPC list.

*a round of applause for Akasha!&*

I do know she is one of the oldest players in the game...

I don't know how to respond to this other than say I disagree with like 90% of what's said. I myself am

not even yet a month old, and already feel like I am finding a place on this realm. Just stop looking at

the glass from half empty and you will have a much better experience here.

- Gauge

Ahh Fenrir, Akasha has been around since, like, the Beginning of the Game. Check the Old (and I mean OLD) AL's she's in some of the Early chapters. She was just absent for a rather long time.

Still Some of the RPCs that are on the list are relatively new, I've been around about a year myself and there are some RPCs who joined after me.

Edit: And to Watcher, Actually the Order of the list doesn't really have to do with Age, or Length of RPC service.... In Fact I have no Clue what the Order represents. However you are right that Akasha is an Ancient player.

Edited by Bootes

[center]mate, i gotta say that you are the one who molds your own legend... just think about what it is that you enjoy doing, and then find a way to make that into your role, i think that is the best way to become a legend

as far as this

[quote]but perhaps the greatest fear i hold
everything that i like or probably would have done if it hadn't been done before[/quote]

there is so much that hasnt been done. imagination is not just a principle on a piece of paper, there is always a way to accomplish what you desire, if you have the dedication, will, and ability look for a way it's not so hard to forge your idea into a reality, that is part of the beauty of Magic Duel.

Look at it this way, and i hate to use myself as an example, but do you think that there was a strong pirate presense? and i dont know if anyone even considered themself a pirate in MD prior to me, but the idea spread, people saw the dedication and desire and eventually accepted me.

As far as throwing events and things a lot of it just has to do with the ability to think of a way to fulfill a desire... the rest usually just falls into place. Usually if you can do the work, and produce consistant results people will have more faith in your ability, and that is how legends are built, i s'pose.

~Cryxus~[/center]

Edited by cryxus

[quote name='cryxus' post='30164' date='May 4 2009, 03:33 PM'][center]just think about what it is that you enjoy doing, and then find a way to make that into your role, i think that is the best way to become a legend

as far as this

[quote]but perhaps the greatest fear i hold
everything that i like or probably would have done if it hadn't been done before[/quote]

there is so much that hasnt been done. imagination is not just a principle on a piece of paper, there is always a way to accomplish what you desire, if you have the dedication, will, and ability look for a way it's not so hard to forge your idea into a reality, that is part of the beauty of Magic Duel.

Look at it this way, and i hate to use myself as an example, but do you think that there was a strong pirate presense? and i dont know if anyone even considered themself a pirate in MD prior to me, but the idea spread, people saw the dedication and desire and eventually accepted me.

~Cryxus~[/center]
[/quote]

it's exactly that what i'm talking about
as i said, i didn't mean literally everything being done
but only those that i might have liked to do or thought of
if i were here before others thought of them,
you get what i mean?

for example, what if what i'd like to have done is carve myself out
from something someone already did?
it's not that there's nothing else new i can do
there is - i know - the possibilities are endless
but the things i like, the things i believe in and hold dear
those ideas may already have been taken

[quote name='Bootes' post='30150' date='May 4 2009, 12:38 PM']Ok, I apologize, though Now I'm confused what point your post had...[/quote]

i think it has something to do with what we call "sarcasm"

[quote name='Bootes' post='30132' date='May 4 2009, 10:56 AM']There is no chance that all the things you might think of have been done by some veteran before you, there is after all infinite possibilities when you use your imagination (of course I can't promise that the Simpson's won't have done it before :).[/quote]

yeah. good thing i'm not too much into piratey stuff ;)

which leads me to ask, does MD have a hospital?
it's the very 1st thing i thought of when thinking of what i'd like to do here
put up a hospital and an alliance of healers

after all, it's just the natural progression of my RL - me being in the medical profession

and also, healers are always my characters when i play rpg

Edited by Harion

well i suppose you have an idea of what it is you desire, no? perhaps you should explore "why" and i dunno theres a fine line between original and doppleganger, it's a matter of how you portray yourself, and im sure if you act with conviction you can pull off whatever, mate. Just because a path has been walked before doesnt mean it's unusable...

[quote name='cryxus' post='30168' date='May 4 2009, 04:09 PM']well i suppose you have an idea of what it is you desire, no? perhaps you should explore "why" and i dunno theres a fine line between original and doppleganger, it's a matter of how you portray yourself, and im sure if you act with conviction you can pull off whatever, mate. Just because a path has been walked before doesnt mean it's unusable...[/quote]

thanks - that at least allays my fear somewhat

[quote name='Gauge' post='30137' date='May 4 2009, 11:35 AM']I don't know how to respond to this other than say I disagree with like 90% of what's said. I myself am

not even yet a month old, and already feel like I am finding a place on this realm. Just stop looking at

the glass from half empty and you will have a much better experience here.[/quote]

my character is 35 days old if that means anything
and also, i am not saying i'm having an awful experience here
quite the opposite in fact
what i'm talking about is the feeling of inadequacy i feel
the feeling of awe and enormity at how big of a shoe i need to fill if i want to be
at where the others are now

it's not a complaint and nowhere near of whining
i am stating an emotion i feel

it's like being a caveman and then standing in front of the NASA space station
thinking: how do i go from caveman to astronaut?

it's like seeing the pyramids and being in awe of them
the whole place - the whole history daunts me

have you ever felt that?

for example when i read a little bit of history about [spoiler] .wodin ulr and how BigC's
absence caused a big question to appear, and i read about hints of how great of an impact
his character had in the game[/spoiler] - it makes me gape in awe

and say to myself: who am i to think i can accomplish even half as much?
am i even up to the task of being half of half of what the greats had been?

i can't presume too much
and yet i can't also help feeling the desire to presume just as much

does anyone understand me?
have anyone even felt something like that?

yes Harion, i am also new, sort of... only 125 days old...
i must say i like the idea for hospital :)
and dont worry, just work on your role you make up with, and eventually if it suits you well, you'll become a PWR or maybe RPC (great rewards ;)) and there ya go... a legend on sight :)

the RPC list is currently ordered by player ID btw

-----
[quote name='Harion']and say to myself: who am i to think i can accomplish even half as much?
am i even up to the task of being half of half of what the greats had been?[/quote]how do you think ''the greats'' felt when they first started out? do you imagine that they knew they would become great? because i dont imagine they did

we are all noting when we start, it is what we do that makes us great

oh just noticed that grido posted before me that teh rpc list is ordered by player ID. but look at je suis ouefs fous he has an ID just over 100k so he is rather new to the game as well and became rpc.
if such new people can even become rpc that should be proof to you that its not all about being veteran

dont be in awe of others accomplishments that just slows u down. respect what they accomplished but focus on ur goal and where u want to be. everything that is needed to gain a spot under the top players is learnable its nothing u are born with.

Edited by Lifeline