disable the ability of becoming adept of banned people

Metal Bunny

J Bird, a new mp3 player is adept of another player.
That other player goes by the name of: [spoiler]FUCK YOU[/spoiler]
This is naturally not very great... it's circumventing the profanity/annoyance rule in public area's.
While asking him to change it may or may not have effect, this will still be a potential problem and occurrence in the future.

Therefore I ask that becoming adept of a banned player becomes impossible. It's only natural.

[quote name='Metal Bunny' post='30580' date='May 8 2009, 12:17 PM']J Bird, a new mp3 player is adept of another player.
That other player goes by the name of: [spoiler]FUCK YOU[/spoiler]
This is naturally not very great... it's circumventing the profanity/annoyance rule in public area's.[/quote]

I have the words [spoiler]DICK HEAD, SALUTE HIM![/spoiler] in my PL. That is also circumventing the profanity rule, but there it is.

Are these words actually harming anyone? I mean seriously. It's unpleasant sure, but who cares? It's a word. We all have been exposed to swearing since we were children, what is the point of hiding a word just because you find it unpleasant? The only reason why people consider it unpleasant, is because we hide it. If it was out in the open, noone would be scared of hearing it.

"Oh no, he said the "f" word. *cries*"

I understand that children play this game, well... children shouldn't be playing this game. It is WAY to advanced for them. They are not able to comprehend what is going on, nor are they capable of interacting with others with a level and appropriate dialogue. I get ten year olds constantly in the Paper Cabin. They rarely make it out of the tutorial, because it is to complicated for them to understand the way things work in MD. They have no idea what an "rp" is, so when I try to help them create one, they get frustrated and ask how do I beat the game, or cuss at me.

There are players' RP that would benefit from being able to swear, especially the Crimson Pirates?. They have every right to be able to act like pirates. Stealing, raping, and murdering anyone they want. It is what pirates do.

Of course you will get those idiots who don't have an rp. That don't want to have one, and are only here to cause trouble. I say kick them from the game. They don't want to integrate themselves into the game? So be it. They do not join the game.

For the large majority of those who play, I can definitely say that we are mature enough to handle cussing. I mean come on, I walk in on people having sex three times a week, or those who are in "relationships" with people they have never met. I disapprove of these actions, but do I cry about it when I find it happening? Nope. I deal with it.

I could go on and on and on about why swearing should be allowed, but I have some people to go train. *grabs his whip and heads to the Paper Cabin*

what if i said that all those need to be kicked that play a zero-tolerance role?

kicking those who cuss without RPing is like kicking ... heavily pigmented *sighs*... off the bus imo...

and i'm pretty sure that you wouldn't realize if you interact with an 8-year old or a 40-year old if both are doing equally good/bad RP, fenrir...

all that political correctness and no-swearwords policies are valid as long as anybody who might feel offended is present, and i'm VERY sure that a lot of people here have issues with people swearing in chat, or having sex before marriage etc. etc.

edit: totally forgot to post on-topic because i was annoyed of Fenrir's post LOL

i think MB is right there, for explanation see above

Edited by Burns

• Root Admin

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' post='30590' date='May 8 2009, 03:22 PM']I understand that children play this game, well... children shouldn't be playing this game. It is WAY to advanced for them. They are not able to comprehend what is going on, nor are they capable of interacting with others with a level and appropriate dialogue. I get ten year olds constantly in the Paper Cabin. They rarely make it out of the tutorial, because it is to complicated for them to understand the way things work in MD. They have no idea what an "rp" is, so when I try to help them create one, they get frustrated and ask how do I beat the game, or cuss at me.[/quote]

Need i say elitism?

Fenrir you will be very surprised at the ages of some of the better roleplayers. Some of the better people in my industry have been very young. Age is not a barrier on the internet (look at Kevin Rose) and anyone can do anything. And more often that not children will understand things faster (and better) than adults.

Some Young people are annoying and do not understand the game but surely it doesnt mean that all young people are like that. They may be in the minority but surely they deserve some respect as a whole?

It's called common sense. And it's obtain through education.
All of us swear at some point (it is a way of releasing some of the pressure) but when 3 out of 5 words are swears then something is wrong.
The kids today are already surrounded by bad examples and foul language. Why should we contribute to it?
As for the age? You have no idea how less matters the age.
And one more thing fenrir, if you don't like the rules about the language, why don't you quit? :P There are plenty games out there where swearing is a form of art and the more you swear and the more colors the swears have the more your fame grows :D

Yes, but why is swearing so hated? I don't like the word "discs" it sounds funny. Does that mean I don't want to hear it? Nope. ;)

We were taught NOT to like swearing because someone way back when didn't like hearing people swear. O.o

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I know tonnes of underage RPers. They are awesome people! For instance. Raven. He started out when he was like... 16 or something. Great rper. :)

Edited by Fenrir Greycloth

LOL, Raven has great RP?

oh well, let's not start discussing who's good or bad at roleplaying...

and screw underage, all normal humans who are not attending private schools know more swearwords than me at the age of 10 :lol:

but that's no reason to use swearwords all over the place, knowing them doesn't mean liking them...

the occassional '[spoiler]Fuck you[/spoiler]' doesn't hurt anybody, but if it gets out of hand or becomes part of playernames and other unchangeable stuff, then it's a different case imo

whilst i know a hell of a lot of swear words, i dont like hearing them most of the time, and i rarely ever say them aloud to anyone.
[quote name='Fenrir']We were taught NOT to like swearing because someone way back when didn't like hearing people swear.[/quote]errm, i think you just mucked up your own point there, yes, we might've been *taught* to not like swearing, that doesnt change the fact that we dont like it....

Let me make this clear. A discussion about why a swear word is allowed or not in a public place, even if with moderation and appropriate roleplay, is simply not going to influence anything at all. You should do this in a different topic.

Why?

Because this game is most definitely not a democracy. It's Mur's game and the very few rules that he put in the game, are simply undebateable. Simply because they are up to his discretion. You can debate all you want in that other topic, but right now, in this topic, I am trying to properly enforce those rules.

And if I know Mur, I am 99,99% certain the profanity rule will not change.

What I want to achieve with this topic is that somehow there comes a new way or mechanism or something, like a spell, with which we can remove that profanity, according to the rules.

If the rules change (highly doubtful, but like I said, different topic), then we don't that sort of thing.

Edited by Metal Bunny