Dojo Staff Phrases

SageWoman

When a staff member is on duty, their purpose is to serve other players. Their main one is to send out a phrase:

[b]*speaks firmly* [/b]This is a Dojo (School). Please get permission First before attacking other players. Click on the black/white sign to your right for more info.

Depending on the Staff member, either the first part will be in [color="#0000FF"]*Blue*[/color] or they will have the whole phrase in Blue. This is meant as an attention getter to those players at the Dojo of the rule. Every time the screen scrolls and the phrase disappears, it is put up again. Annoying as it is, the Staff are required to continuously put it up [b]because new players come in and out of the part every minute[/b]. While players sitting at the Dojo have seen it several times, a new player may walk in (a new mp3 for instance) and attack without warning.

As discussed in a previous thread, when you are attacked in the Dojo you only need to say:

"I have been attacked by <insert players name> without permission"

Dojo staff are trained to send a private message to the player quietly.

[b]Welcome to the Dojo (School) You attacked in the Marble Dale Park without asking first. Please familiarize yourself with the rules there on the little black and white sign to the right as you enter through the gates. We want your game play to be enjoyable as well as other players. Your Public Log (L box) on your profile will be branded as a dojo attacker. If there are no more attacks; all branding by Dojo staff will be removed.[/b]

[b]What is a Branding?[/b] When a player attacks in the dojo, the players Public Log (the L Box) on their profile is opened:

Attacked in the Dojo [date, time, name] Or Repeat Offender

Repeat offenders are then given a second Pm:

[b]You have been accused of attacking without permission in the Dojo. There is no attacking players in Marble Dale Park without asking for and RECEIVING permission from the players you wish to attack. Please learn and abide by the rules posted in the sign in the Dojo. If you attack without permission again, your public log will be branded with the tag: Repeat Dojo Offender and you will be watched. Severe consequences will be applied to you if you continue to attack without permission inside the Dojo.[/b]

Calyx of Isis, *Ibruzu* and I then have a meeting and discuss names of repeat offenders, last time they attacked and who is the worse offender. Most times all it takes is a meeting with the player. However, a new tool has been given to the Dojo that has not yet been used. It is a last resort when all other actions have been taken. It is our hope that through education and community effort that it will stay a last resort.

Hey Sagewoman! I like the dojo phrase and all, but it sometimes takes too much space in the chat log, so it would be good to make it short and concise. I have a self-made phrase in my Comments On Self Page, if you want one. And thanks for what you've done for me like giving me a future in mp4 as a dojo staff, putting a comment in my forum paper, etc. Hehehe.. I put the thanks here coz MD is under maintenence, and I couldn't send it thru PM. :D

• Root Admin

I agree with Fawe. Im constantly ****** off when i go into dojo and see a whole screen of rubbish about the dojo. Where certain members have repeated the dojo messages throughout the screen where there has been a couple of people actually trying to talk.

I know you need to inform people but where some of your "friendly" dojo people are trying to inforce the rules and then it clogs up the entire chat page is very annoying for me.

just a little rant, probably offtopic, probably ban worthy

*We, the dojo staff members, will torch anyone that doesn't follow the rules listed on the signpost. The rules apply to ALL MP Levels. Thank you!*

:P:P:D Short and sweet

But yeah seriously. There isn't much to do if we are required to post that message every time it goes off the chat. Even though people get annoyed by it there isn't much to do about it as long as that rule is there. And it helps :)

Edited by adiomino

[quote name='Fawe' post='35338' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:17 AM']Hey Sagewoman! I like the dojo phrase and all, but it sometimes takes too much space in the chat log, so it would be good to make it short and concise. I have a self-made phrase in my Comments On Self Page, if you want one. And thanks for what you've done for me like giving me a future in mp4 as a dojo staff, putting a comment in my forum paper, etc. Hehehe.. I put the thanks here coz MD is under maintenence, and I couldn't send it thru PM. <_<[/quote]

The 1st phrase does fit in the chat but adjust as you need. It does not have to be word for word. The First and Second warnings really should not be changed. When in doubt, contact Calyx of Isis, Ibruzu or myself.

[quote name='Chewett' post='35429' date='Jun 28 2009, 05:44 AM']I agree with Fawe. Im constantly ****** off when i go into dojo and see a whole screen of rubbish about the dojo. Where certain members have repeated the dojo messages throughout the screen where there has been a couple of people actually trying to talk.

I know you need to inform people but where some of your "friendly" dojo people are trying to inforce the rules and then it clogs up the entire chat page is very annoying for me.

just a little rant, probably offtopic, probably ban worthy[/quote]

I don't think it is Off Topic as it pertains to the topic of phrases. I was trying to get the point across to Staff not to post on the Dojo without first asking if others are there.

why not place the full chat message at all the places surrounding the dojo?
idk how about willow's these days, but all other places are kind of deserted anyway, so the message would stay there for all the 6 hours (?) all by itself...
in the manner of 'hey, if you go on to MDP, you reach a dojo, where following rules blahblah rubbish', and in dojo itself, it would then be sufficient to print *DOJO* into chat when it vanishes...

that way it's easier to have conversations in dojo, as this message only deletes one line instead of 5, AND new members would see some jerk saying the same word over and over again, therefore most likely asking what s/he' meaning with that, instead of thinking 'aha, dojo... rules... bah, not interesting, let's kill something' or, the all time classic 'argh, once again the dojo jerk makes things vanish before i'm done reading them' :lol:

that way, you could warn people before they even enter the location, and get the added bonus of much more comfortable chatting in dojo, with the trainers being reduced from 5 lines of useless crap to one simple line: *DOJO -> SIGNPOST*...
and the trainers should do something after all, so they can really afford to hop from screen to screen every hour to see if the message is still there... and everybody would be warned before even entering the dojo <_<

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Burns' date='29 June 2009 - 07:29 AM' timestamp='1246278585' post='35652']
why not place the full chat message at all the places surrounding the dojo?
idk how about willow's these days, but all other places are kind of deserted anyway, so the message would stay there for all the 6 hours (?) all by itself...
in the manner of 'hey, if you go on to MDP, you reach a dojo, where following rules blahblah rubbish', and in dojo itself, it would then be sufficient to print *DOJO* into chat when it vanishes...

Once again,a BRILLIANT Idea! Want to become a member of Dojo Staff? Since my posting about asking before Staff taking their stations at the dojo and weeding down the Phrase, it has become less cluttered, chat wise. It is not perfect but it is working.

Not everyone stops to read each scene but it is a idea that has merit and I will need to work on a short phrase that gets the point across and then passed on to all Staff and trainees. Thank you so much for your input!

i'm sure that most people who don't know about the dojo would gladly read every scene, just because they hope it might help them...
which is not to say that all who know about the dojo care about the dojo, not at all, but it seems that almost everyone knows about the dojo on their first day of free roam-mode...

thanks for the offer, but i'll rather stay off-staff-helper :D