Resources. Thoughts and questions

No one

I promised that I would gather some of the thoughts I've "collected" during this "[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13684-month-of-free-lands/"]Month of Free Lands[/url]" event, but unfortunately it is just a bunch of questions. So here it is:

I've got tired of all the BS some MDers say about resources and I wanted to check if all is correct.

I started from looking for a solution for both useless piles of resources and lack of [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13674-private-gathering-tools-their-trader/"]gathering tools[/url]. Well, it didn't went exactly as expected but it wasn't too far from it.
Another reason for that topic was to gather some feedback on one of the aspects of MD reality: [b]resources[/b].

So, here are some of the feedback I simply reject as they are invalid from start:
A)
[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1359558506' post='131703']
Shared tools are there already
[/quote]
I tried and failed to get some tools during the event without paying for them. So no, they are definitely not shared.

B)
[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1359572924' post='131715']
Having a specific and [color=#ff0000]limited [/color]amount of independent items does mean you are more forced to deal and interact with people, i prefer it this way and [u]with the [color=#ff0000]limited [/color]an set amount of tools you can [color=#ff0000]limit [/color]the amount of resources brought into play.[/u]

I feel the current system works better in terms of controlling supply and demand [u]rather than having a system where everyone is attempting to gather resources and which will most definitely lead to problems.[/u]
[/quote]

You are wrong on both accounts and during the event just proved it :
1. With just about 2-3 items it was managed to keep herbs under control - complete depletion of all herbs in all MD.

[b]Only the will of the players and their wiliness will allow the flow of resources, not the number of items.[/b]

2. do you mean that by doing what I did for that month was good ? because it controls the supply ? what would be your idea of controlling the herbs for 1 full year ? for 2 years ?

I will tell you, as the idea arouse during this event : the real way to do as "desired" is to "[b]LIMIT[/b]". And if anyone denies this, they are lying.
[b]So, ppl are considering to limit the number of tools even if this would limit their freedom. Congratulation.[/b]

C) it hurts land - RPBS
D) it hurts me as I could not gather myself - BS - I know what you feel. I want to gather memory stone myself, not to buy them but I cannot. So I am doing this for you too.

I wrote a list of questions that will help all of us (and me along with you) to understand what MD currently wants.

I will add them shortly in different topics so that they can be discussed separately and I will ask you to stay on topic and to keep it short and free of spam.

[i]Edit 1: [/i]Added links to some questions :
1. [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13855-true-false-1-did-you-ever-tried-to-harvest-resources/"]Did you ever tried to harvest resources ?[/url]
2. [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13857-true-false-2-did-you-managed-to-get-the-resources-you-wanted/"]Did you managed to get the resources you wanted[/url] ?
3. [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13858-true-false-3-did-the-availability-of-resources-bothered-you/"]Did the availability of resources bothered you[/url] ?
4. [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13859-true-false-4-did-the-availability-of-gathering-tools-bothered-you/"]Did the availability of gathering tools bothered you[/url] ?
5. [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13860-true-false-5-did-you-found-that-there-are-enough-resources-in-md/"]Did you found that there are enough resources in MD[/url] ?

Edited by No one
Added links to some questions.

I will add below some quotes I've got from all the fuss from [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13684-month-of-free-lands/"]Month of Free Lands[/url] event:
I consider them "representative" and hopefully constructive .

[quote name='Laphers' timestamp='1361005632' post='132734']
The nice guy in me says that it is nicer to allow all to harvest therefore harvesting only to the level that will allow full regeneration at the next regen time is proper.

But depletion happens so I would like to see a mechanic that allows players to push resource regeneration to a faster level. I think it would allow a different dynamic that could help non-depleters and depleters alike.
[/quote]
[quote name='Pipstickz' timestamp='1361012359' post='132741']
I am all for depleting herbs, because in over a year now, not a single person contacted me regarding this, and I'm fairly sure I've had all four varieties in my inventory since posting this. Plus, people get all worked up because they feel something is being taken from them, even though it never belonged to them in the first place, it's like if somebody insults your favourite TV show: You can defend it all you want but at the end of the day the actors and producers and writers and stuff (similar to herbs in this example) don't care about what you and your friend say to each other about it, they're just gonna do what they do. In my eyes, the only reason not to deplete anything is for efficiency's sake, so that the maximum amount can be harvested, but there is very little demand for herbs, so perhaps if supply goes down far enough for long enough, we will see some change.
[/quote]
[quote name='BFH' timestamp='1360954291' post='132689']
I'm in favor of depleting resources. They are there with the purpose of people discovering another branch of md, or at least it is how i feel it. And... personally it makes me feel that a feature of MD is liked and hence used.

What I dont like is the current situation of shared items where some lands have an advantage over others in terms of which gathering tools they have, but that's an issue that to be fixed will need a lot of planning from council, community, and the coders...

That's what i think, but people might not think like me.. idk
[/quote]
[quote name='Udgard' timestamp='1360946429' post='132685']
Me?
I'm not particularly against resource depletion. Personally I'd rather people not deplete it and leave enough for optimum regeneration because it will lead to more resources usable in the long run.

But when people deplete it, for various reasons (monopoly, prisoner's dilemma of trying to get as much as you can for yourself, RP reasons etc) I'm not going to curse them either.

While I love MD, I'm still sane enough to realize that it is, in the end, just a game and the lands are just pixels. They're not real lands and these are not real resources so I have no reason OOCly to say no to resource harvesting for the sake of "honoring the land" or something.
[/quote]
[quote name='Shemhazaj' timestamp='1360924470' post='132670']
I dislike depletion because I'd much rather see the resources being gathered by people (especially new players) that want to use them for making tea and cakes (or creating "projects" of their own) and run around having fun and exploring MD instead of being hoarded in pockets without any use.

In some places, like Bob or Druids Grove I dislike constant depleting for RP reasons. Occasional depletion (also for RP reasons) is acceptable coz I can do some druidic rites and stuff...
[/quote]
[quote name='Laphers' timestamp='1361005098' post='132733']
Depletion is a tool that some use. No one has a reason for running his contest. I may not agree with it but he has proclaimed it as his current role and he is acting on it. I would like to see a game mechanic introduced that allows a player to "undo" depletion. I know that I would be quite willing to wander the paths of the forest and replant trees, splice branches or whatever that would allow resources to replenish more quickly.
[/quote]
[quote name='Udgard' timestamp='1361013203' post='132742']
I don't see a connection between harvesting and disrespecting the land.
[/quote]
[quote name='Menhir' timestamp='1361031715' post='132753']
I´m not against depleting nor am I in favor of it. I´m in favor for the freedom of everyone to do as he is able to do. As long as "everyone" can choose to leave resources untouched or depleted "noone" should judge the action of others.
[/quote]

Edited by No one

No, keep it, it is a good question.
My reasons : keep it simple and to the point. And I mean :
- I want each and single question to be debated. I don't want ppl focusing on just 1 or 2 question
- questions may arise and will need to be debated separately.

Edited by No one