mercenary alliance

sanguinious

in a war there are many tactics, secret intelligence, assassinations ,sabotage but also mercenaries, which is why a alliance in nomans land should be dedicated to training mercenaries.

I know this idea may have popped up quite regularly, but I seek support on this matter.

thank you

sanguinious/abaddun

I can think of numerous ways, but the most sensible would be to trade a member of the alliance that needs help.
he/she can stay in his/her original alliance but must come to the aid of the mercenary alliance, this will make alliance leaders think carefully if they need the support of the mercenary alliance because over use of this advantage will eventually shrink the alliance in a war.

Using wish points as currency is not a good method. This will encourage cheating for the quests (it is done even now but it's something more...underground) and also will make alliances accept members who have a certain number of wish points. This will lead to a wish points frenzy gathering and I'm sure that the RPCs will "love it". Even more it can lead to impossible quests....

My 3 cents...

Credits.

Then, at the end of a period (say a month) the alliance takes it credits and distributes it to it's members (after 10% tax!).

So, let's say Mr Anonymous is a mercenary, and for whatever reason MRD decides he needs some more cannon fodder for his upcoming war. (Events completely fictitious!) He gives the Mercenary alliance 1 credit and that mercenary then appears in the MRD Fraternity for 24 hours. This happens, say 20 times in a month between various people & alliances. Come the end of the month, 2 credits would be deducted for tax, and the remaining 18 distributed between the mercenaries team.

Thus increasing the people amount wanting to be in said alliance, and as such, increasing the difficulty of actually getting into it, and indeed the selection process taken by the leader.

If possible, at the end of the 24 hour period, a list of alliance battles fought should be presented to the person who hired the mercenary. The mercenary should also remain anonymous, his name should remain in the mercenaries alliance list, but a fake name ought to appear during combat and what not (when he is fighting for a client). The person who hired the mercenary shouldn't be made aware of the persons real identity either, only the leader and the mercenary should know the true identity.

Also, when not in a clients alliance, No Mans Land ought to be their homeland. Lastly, it would open some great RP opportunities... "In a dark alleyway, two robed exchange items silently. The taller of the two passes to the other some coins, while the other hands over a scrap of paper. "His demise is at hand, consider it done" They nod at each other and depart in separate directions, never revealing the face under the robes to the other." (Obviously better written).

Or indeed...
"Smashing through a throng of guards and henchmen, Mr Anonymous wades through with force, men fall before him. Heads rolls and blood drips from the ceiling, the carnage left in his wake is... unfathomable. His determination is like no other, arrows pierce his armor, axes fly past his head and his blood trickles from every orifice... and yet he continues onwards, as though possessed by some incredible power. Eventually, he comes to the end of the room, brining his axes squarely into the chest of the final guard he looks up at their leader. "If you will not pay... you will pay DEARLY!" The leader grimacing, takes up his sword and lunges at the mercenary, grinning Mr Anonymous brings around his axe parrying the leaders blow and kicks him in the chins, bringing him to his feet. "Your end is at hand" The axe comes thundering down into the head of the leader with such force that the head, neck and chest are ripped open, blood gushing from the massive impact, Mr Anonymous grins and walks off to seek a doctor."

OK.. too long... I got carried away... and that also needs cleaning up... but you see the AL possibilities no?

Might be a bit much, not sure...

[quote name='dst' post='18066' date='Oct 9 2008, 01:32 AM']Using wish points as currency is not a good method. This will encourage cheating for the quests (it is done even now but it's something more...underground) and also will make alliances accept members who have a certain number of wish points. This will lead to a wish points frenzy gathering and I'm sure that the RPCs will "love it". Even more it can lead to impossible quests....

My 3 cents...[/quote]

Uh... yeah. I've seen at least one instance of a pretty hard quest with a non-logical amount of winners..

Neutral or not. Morals or not. Pay-to-hire or not. How many times does it have to be pointed out that No Man's Land is NO Man's Land? Cut throats or saints. Doesn't matter. Bodda bing, bodda boom. It's not a place that those things happen. Alliances give territory bonuses. No Man's Land is NOT a territory. It's completely neutral. When Alliance members walk on that land, they don't feel any influence at all. Not healing or damaging of VE or VP.

Didn't mean to try and slaughter this idea...just saying that placing it in No Man's Land is a big no no. The idea itself is...interesting...though, I don't think it's really all that new of a concept. This is essentially a call for an alliance centered on ome. Problem is, now people want to get actual payments instead of RPed payments...this is a roleplaying game you know? You don't have to get wishpoints or credits or RP points to say you were paid... If you want something, ask them for it, and maybe they can get it. Other than that...I kind of agree with dst...it would become chaos..

i am not suggesting that no mans land be for a type of people, more like that's were they tend to meet, this also means that mercenarys wont be damaged on other alliances ground.

payment is an problem as well, maybe go down to the basics and have payment as a certain amount of VP taken from the payer and split between the members, as a permanent boost, this is the most basic thing there is but what about the payer deciding what they should be given and the mercenarys deciding if that is good enough.

dst, that's their own fault. False info is thrown out there all the time. I recently discovered a very very large chunk of false info that is circulating the MD world as almost common knowledge. But, someone doesn't have to ask for info as payment. They could ask for something like finding a way to kill someone. *cough cough* ;)

If they give false info, well, consider tthat they're defaulting their payment =b
It happens in RL a lot with paid assassins I think... (or, maybe not RL, but those movies...). They will probably be get on the you-don't-have-to-pay-us-for-killing-them list for the merc alliance =b

as we are talking about tactics and warfare here i assume you know some of the classics
so, i'll do some name-dropping to jazz-up my statement :D
machiavelli has made a good point about mercenaries as part of your forces. considering them as short-time ressources or spies, they'll be of sun tzus forth category.

so... payment really isn't that much of a question, is it? :D

• 3 weeks later...