You can gripe at me, lock the topic, do what you'd like with me for posting this.

I know that artists will not have their artwork protected nor will they get recognition for their artwork, but my question is...why?

What harm would it do if there was a small copyright or signature in each of the drawings?

*shrug* Just a question. I've heard there have been problems with this.

Yeaaaahhh, there should be nothin' wrong withy that. at least just a small signature. everybody wants recognition for their hard work y'no. and if there should be special request for some artist, then that's good. It will kinda weed out crappy pictures :unsure: sorry, not to bash an artist. All I am saying is that if your drawing have the potential of becoming a trademark, You will try harder to become respected. so, it will be beneficial for both MD and its players:

I agree with you but I think I can see why Mur might not want that. The avatars represent the players' roles and characters; would you stamp those with another player's signature? It's true that it's a representation created by an artist who might deserve recognition, but it may taint the feeling of absolute possession of the player who buys the avatar. Another thing is the Artisans are considered the artists of the game, not individual persons selling works of art. Do you see signatures on the map drawings? The same reason for why the answer is no could apply to the Artisans' work. The argument of providing incentive is weak in this aspect as well. Players can contribute to the game, but I don't think Mur allows that so that players can gain trademarks that will help their reputation in real life. If the game isn't enough to make you want to try your best already, then it's not like more should be done except improve the game.

I don't particularly take that stance, though. I can see your logic as well, but since there seemed to be a lack of opposition I wanted to portray some possible arguments.

Hey I do understand that too. And I know that the players ... Um artisans, do try their best to make the game alive. That's why we have the whole game map and different places as well, and we all can all say that it looks good. We also can't say that they dont work hard Bcause we do have avatars. But we cant say that all the players are happy with their avatars. Some might take it cause there is nothing else that suits their taste. So all I am saying is that it might not be that bad of an idea if ppl do actually make avatar request, ( if there is nothing like it in the database) based on a specific artist style.
And foremost, we cant say that the avatars are completely without signature. There is a MD signature on all of them ( well let say that I've seen the MD signature on some) . So If I was to be on the team, I would be happy to even get that official MD signature on my work. I is an honor. y'no.

[quote name='lightsage' post='22501' date='Dec 16 2008, 03:40 AM']Maybe every artesian could have a page with all the work they did so far, this way players could have a look at it without having a marking on "their" avatar[/quote]
I actually like the idea. If somebody is real good with art, they can have something of a portfolio of some sort. Everybody'l be happy. And it will be easy to browse to the whole artistic minds of the artisan guild of MD

[quote name='myrrh' post='22473' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:29 PM']I agree with you but I think I can see why Mur might not want that. The avatars represent the players' roles and characters; would you stamp those with another player's signature? It's true that it's a representation created by an artist who might deserve recognition, but it may taint the feeling of absolute possession of the player who buys the avatar. Another thing is the Artisans are considered the artists of the game, not individual persons selling works of art. Do you see signatures on the map drawings? The same reason for why the answer is no could apply to the Artisans' work. The argument of providing incentive is weak in this aspect as well. Players can contribute to the game, but I don't think Mur allows that so that players can gain trademarks that will help their reputation in real life. If the game isn't enough to make you want to try your best already, then it's not like more should be done except improve the game.

I don't particularly take that stance, though. I can see your logic as well, but since there seemed to be a lack of opposition I wanted to portray some possible arguments.[/quote]

That is true, and in that case, I like Lightsage's idea about having a separate page for the artists of MD. :P
__
And Severin, its okay for you to believe that.. but i've had cases where people steal my art and claim it as their own, when it infact is not. I give them no permission to own it, nor do I sell it to them. They just take it, which is wrong. Once you create something that you find to be beautiful and then someone takes your creation from you and alters it... it kind of does start to piss you off. Lol thats kind of the same thing as breaking into another person's house and stealing their computer and altering everything they have on it. *shrug*
__
*shrug*
perhaps I'll suggest lightsage's idea to Mur... it might take the tension away from some of the artisans.

i agree.. if i get a avatar i wouldnt want some1 else signature on it.... maybe while putting the avatars on display for peopel to take it... they can group the avatars according to who drew them? like this

Blackshadow avatars
picture
picture
picture

Furious avatars
picture
picture

etc

this way we know whose the creator of the avatar and both sides are happy.