Economics & Government

Blood Prince

Since currency is in place in MD I thought comming up with a weird idea. I want all ya feedback on it.

1. The currency is accepted through out MD. So on issue with that. But what if we come up with currency for each of the lands and their exchange rates and stuff. So it would be intresting and all the currency will have an authenticity. Also this will help individual characters who are glued to their lands.

2. For the above one to work each player should be a permenant resident of a land and in that he should earn a place to live. So at first all land is owned by the government of the respective land and then the individual players is able to buy them from the government for competetive rates. This gives so many possibilities for jobs and way of income for the MD inhabitants and it spreads the wealth.

3. Government of each land should be elected as requested by the citizens of that land. This can be dictator, dynasty, democracy or anything they wish, So all governements report to a MD high council and they are elected by Mur or the people or both.

So this is part of what I have in mind. Please give me feedback whether this thing will work. If so I will post the rest of the ideas i have. Anyway this promotes a citizen life in MD.

1. We already have the silver and gold coin. Until the exchange rate for those stabilizes, I don't think adding more types of currency is a good thing. Furthermore I thought the MD economy was supposed to be a primitive one. The more types of currency involved, the more people that will try to become a bank. And if you think real life banks are criminal, wait until you see the proposed interest rates in MD: starting at 20%

2. What about people that want to be neutral?
What exactly does land ownership offer? If it can offer something to both roleplayers and grinders, it'd be a good money sink and the coins could be redistributed with quests thus accelerating the money flow. But how it creates countless job opportunities I don't see.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Synex' post='32145' date='May 24 2009, 11:37 AM']1. The currency is accepted through out MD. So on issue with that. But what if we come up with currency for each of the lands and their exchange rates and stuff. So it would be intresting and all the currency will have an authenticity. Also this will help individual characters who are glued to their lands.[/quote]

no. i dont like it because then it makes MD seem more like a real economy. It wouldnt really add roleplay values but make it harder to play due to exchange rates and everything

also the econmy of Magicduel was orginally based on bartering. the introduction of coins has changed it dramatically and anymore forms of currency are in my opinion are bad idea.

[quote name='Synex' post='32145' date='May 24 2009, 11:37 AM']2. For the above one to work each player should be a permenant resident of a land and in that he should earn a place to live. So at first all land is owned by the government of the respective land and then the individual players is able to buy them from the government for competetive rates. This gives so many possibilities for jobs and way of income for the MD inhabitants and it spreads the wealth.[/quote]

Jobs? what type of jobs do you propose? I cant think of any at the moment that would fit into the MD world.

[quote name='Synex' post='32145' date='May 24 2009, 11:37 AM']3. Government of each land should be elected as requested by the citizens of that land. This can be dictator, dynasty, democracy or anything they wish, So all governements report to a MD high council and they are elected by Mur or the people or both.[/quote]

Well this is already happening. LR being ruled/govererned/whatever by the HC ... as all lands are governed. But i dont think that this is seen as a government. This again links Magicduel to the "real world" and where there are a lot of govermental problems.

I agree with both Kafu an Chewy...
I don't like MD beeing to much linked to RL... Cause that's jsut the fun in the game...
Like... "Running away" from all the stupid things in RL... (And yes, government is one of them)

I dont like the concept of MD beeing... To... How to say it... Let point it in this way...
I want to be free in MD, not "ruled" or beeing "Pinned" to a government...

Might sound weird, but that my opinion about it

M

So it would not create more misunderstanding: GG and necro has rulers (yrth and peace). Loreroot, Marind Bell, and MDA lands currently has no ruler (and I hope not. Personally I'm not fond of a land being ruled over by players, but that is up to Mur). The current HC is the governing body of the 3 Loreroot alliance (GoTR, savelites, CoE), not the land.

Edit: hey, I guess Marv feels the same as I about governmentship =D

Edited by Udgard