Calling All Artists

I would like to commission an artist to create a logo for the Festival of Fun. Ideally this will be an image that encapsulates the idea and meaning of the festival.

So here goes.. If you think you could create such an image for me, post your entries on this thread.

[b]The chosen artist will get a gold coin in payment for the image and be retained by me to do any future art work for the festival or my upcoming projects. I will of course pay well for this[/b].

As the artist will be chosen by me alone, the decision will obviously be subjective, so here is a description of my intention for the festival and the reasoning behind it:

I started the first Festival of Fun to remind people, including myself, that despite the problems we may have with each other, individually or land/alliance, what we have in MD is an amazing community made up of intelligent, creative and exceptional people in many ways. Personally, most of my favourite moments in MD over the past 550+ days in MD have been when the ingame chat has been flying with people just forgetting grudges and having FUN! So, for the festival, I decided to combine the elements of what I had been involved in before that had got people interested: Creativity, Competitiveness, Rewards, Gatherings of people and generally the letting down of hair and having Fun [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

[b]Keywords here are: community, competitiveness and (of course XD) fun!

Additional information regarding typical events can be found here: [topic='http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/6541-festival-of-fun-3/']FoF 3[/topic]

Your logo would, ideally, include the words 'Festival of Fun', or the abbreviation I use which is 'FoF' somewhere on the image (big or small).

The medium could be hand-drawn/painted, computer graphic or even photo, but the work MUST be 100% original created by you.

The deadline is March 19th

[/b]Any questions should be sent to me via forum PM

[Artwork posts only on this thread please]

Hello Ailith,

here are some first submissions of myself, I am willing to create a few others if needed or else, I like this creative work :)) and I hope you like it, too.

Simple
[img]http://s4b.directupload.net/images/100301/m2xf5ksj.png[/img]

Funny
[img]http://s3b.directupload.net/images/100301/reaw7nds.png[/img]

more coming...
[img] http://s8b.directupload.net/images/100307/djwk6wy3.gif[/img]

Edited by Blackwoodforest

More coming soon :) If you Ailith need that I edit something of them just ask me.

FESTIVAL OF FUN #14 (PICTURE AND VID)
http://i41.tinypic.com/fuqhid.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/1jq8vq/5

Edited by bfh lighthing

• 2 months later...

Thank you both very much for your work. Now that I have returned from my break, I intend to continue the search for funtimes (lol) I have chosen Blackwood Forest's third entry as the logo for the festival. He has received his gold coin in payment and will be retained for any further artwork I need.

I chose that particular entry as it best encapsulates the spirit of what I intend for the festivals. Well done, Blackwood Forest :D

Mini Festival of Fun on its way.. watch this space!!

(well .. not this space... it will probably be on a different thread XD)

[quote name='Lady Ailith' date='28 May 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1275077013' post='60547']
I have chosen Blackwood Forest's third entry as the logo for the festival.
[/quote]
I am curious whether you, Ailith, or Blackwood Forest are aware of the potential copyright issues that might arise because of several of the created logos.

In Blackwood Forest's second and third offerings, he used artwork to which MagicDuel, and therefore Muratus del Mur, holds the copyright. While the owner might not object to the use of this artwork for the stated intention, it would still be rather rude, not to mention illegal, of either of you to use said artwork without his express permission.

Of course, if permission had been granted or the owner does not care enough to take the issue to court, then there is no problem. Obviously, it would be most prudent to check with him before using it.

[quote name='Watcher' date='29 May 2010 - 03:12 AM' timestamp='1275099127' post='60561']
I am curious whether you, Ailith, or Blackwood Forest are aware of the potential copyright issues that might arise because of several of the created logos.

In Blackwood Forest's second and third offerings, he used artwork to which MagicDuel, and therefore Muratus del Mur, holds the copyright. While the owner might not object to the use of this artwork for the stated intention, it would still be rather rude, not to mention illegal, of either of you to use said artwork without his express permission.

Of course, if permission had been granted or the owner does not care enough to take the issue to court, then there is no problem. Obviously, it would be most prudent to check with him before using it.
[/quote]

Of course, watcher. I had already thought of that. I am awaiting an opportunity to talk to Mur before I use it, if there is a problem I will ask Blackwood to substitute the image of the joker with something else.

As I and many others have used MD images in our quests and other things we have created with the sole purpose of enhancing gameplay within MD. You bring up an interesting point. I will also bring this up with Mur.

(note to readers of this thread: please do not negative rep watcher again. Patronising though he/she may be, he/she does bring up a valid point)

Edited by Guest

from my personal point of view I dont see a big issue here since I use MD graphic for a non-commercial and even md-internal use, it is something so push gameplay and roleplay. Of course, in general you might be right watcher for sure. I will check this as well and we will see.

[quote name='Blackwoodforest' date='29 May 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1275109579' post='60569']
from my personal point of view I dont see a big issue here since I use MD graphic for a non-commercial and even md-internal use, it is something so push gameplay and roleplay. Of course, in general you might be right watcher for sure. I will check this as well and we will see.
[/quote]
I do not know what copyright laws cover in Romania nor Germany, and my knowledge of English copyright law is extremely limited, so this may not be an issue that needs addressing, but the point is that you reproduced material that you do not own the rights to use.

Whether you intend for the object to be used internally or not, you presented the work as part of your own. Copyright laws prohibit the reproduction of works, in whole or in part, that an individual or other legal entity owns. Again, in this case, this particular owner might not care that you are using his image. However, should you wish to present this particular sample, or the other which contains artwork which is not yours to use, as part of a creative portfolio, the owner would no longer have control over what is rightfully his property. There is no way for him to know how you intend to use what you created with his material.

The purpose of these posts are not to simply discourage the use of internal imagery to advertise or hype events which are for the purpose of bringing the community together, but to make all aware of potential problems should others begin to use material from here for their own purposes.

Is prevention not the preferred method when dealing with issues such as these?

Which is why I have already stated that I intended to check with Mur concerning the use of that particular image.

Like with RP, event and quests contests, the idea has always been that we use the tools at hand, in other words, the images have always been considered such a tool. As you may have noticed in my original post in this thread I asked for the work to be 100% the work of the artist which is WHY I had already intended to check with Mur and that Blackwood's offer to change anything about the logo might be called for.

My point being, this is already in hand. You are making points about something which, if it is a problem, would have been rectified even if you had not brought it up. I have told you this already. So please, credit others with a bit of intelligence.

Edited by Guest