Storyline affects

Darigan

I've started a storyline adventure that people can get involved with, but before I get too deep into it all just to be told it doesn't matter because all the facts are wrong and it shouldn't be taken seriously I'd like to know what can and can't be done within MD. Obviously messing with Liquid Dust is about as useful for realism as digging for a long lost cube since apparently only Mur truly knows everything about the substance and what it can and can't do. I'll assume that since there is water, and a fair amount of it, a flood is possible even if the scenes can't be changed to reflect that a flood has happened, thats what imagination is for. I'm told to think outside the box but not mess with any game mechanics because I'll just get it wrong and it won't matter in the scheme of things. Which is exactly what I want. I want to create a valid adventure within MD that matters and has some affect on players their roles and has merit without screwing up the big picture.

Any helpful advice that isn't a spoiler is welcome.

Needless to say that I'm not a big fan of such 'story quests', I think you need to reorganize your approach completely.

You base all of the happenings off of a flood that I have yet to witness, and the 'sludge' will most probably turn out to be liquid dust as i read it so far.
I doubt not that you have many ideas how and why a flood might run over Loreroot, but I also have many ideas why my cellar could be flooded and it doesn't happen.
Furthermore, that liquid dust has to come from somewhere, and for that part, I do seriously doubt that it could turn up my Loreroot. I don't claim to be an expert on that matter, but it just seems very farfetched to witness Dust so far outside the walls.

Personally, I do find the idea of a flood acceptable at best, but I'd be more intrigued by some parasite approach, like Mya plays out.
Liquid dust coming from the lake of Loreroot, though, seems absurd. If you found a better approach to that, be it magic mud, water daimon blood, or Raven's tears for all i bother, it would turn out as a much more satisfying solution imo. And it would avoid crossing with the pictures of liquid dust, because, seriously, if you go that way, you can only go wrong.

(posted while Burns was posting, so his hit first..)
My advice in cliche quotes:

Effects is the result and change of something. Affects is the active verb. (ok, "grammer-police off [sic])

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men.
Don't dream it, be it.
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
I can believe anything provided it is incredible.
The quality of the imagination is to flow and not to freeze

So while I can't speak to the limitations of game-mechanics, the foundation of any Improvisation acting is to repeat, to anything you hear: "Yes, and..."
However, I do think Liquid Dust is a rather important concept, not to be trifled with wantonly, without a thumbs-up from the Powers That Be, or Land Kings. *shrugs*

Edited by Maebius

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Darigan

Firstly, this is not your story line!! Get that straight. This is something that Mya and myself started playing around with. Sharazhad caused a flood in Loreroot with spells that backfired, Mya noticed the sludge and was the first to react to it. . How this plays out will not be determined by you!! The idea was to create something that needed fixing, and as base to start all kinds of spin off role play. A flood to me sounded realistic instead of dementors being released from the Gazebo of Chaos. (this is just an example, there really was no idea to release dementors from Gazebo of chaos)[/i][/color][color="#2e8b57"][i]The sludge is a remnant from the flood[/i]
[/color][color="#0000ff"][i][color="#2e8b57"]
I would really like people (who can get into to Loreroot) to examine the sludge. Liquid Dust was merely hypothesized, doesnt mean it is. And as far as I know I have not messed with game mechanics.
[/color]
[color="#2e8b57"]I will post in the open forums about what the story line is thus far. (RL keeps me a tad busy so pardon me if it is a bit late)

[color="#0000ff"]Edited: Ive created two posts: one for a story line and another discussion. Please use them accordingly.[/color][/color]
[color="#2e8b57"]
Burns:
Just because you didnt see the flood, doesnt mean it didnt happen.[/color]

Edited for grammar etc.
[/i][/color]

Edited by Sharazhad

[quote]Obviously messing with Liquid Dust is about as useful for realism as digging for a long lost cube since apparently only Mur truly knows everything about the substance and what it can and can't do.[/quote]

Exactly, so you don't use it. Simple. There are lots of other things that are much more mundane that can be used. Even non mundane things.

Just to specify, in case anyone didn't understand this the first time. There has been no labeling that the black substance is liquid dust or black water, it is simply something that would bring those two substances to mind.

Darigan to my knowledge did not start this story quest, and does not control the storyline any more than I or any other quester does.