Hi I'm totally new to this game, found a link to another game site, and thought about getting back in that game. But instead I found this, I've been playing for three days now. But I am still confused about the role playing idea of the game. I'm so used to games giving me a few choices to pick through. So yeah if anyone has helpful tips of being a roleplaying newbie, that would be helpful. Oh, and hi again.

[quote name='MoonTide' timestamp='1299456400' post='80299']
Hi I'm totally new to this game, found a link to another game site, and thought about getting back in that game. But instead I found this, I've been playing for three days now. But I am still confused about the role playing idea of the game. I'm so used to games giving me a few choices to pick through. So yeah if anyone has helpful tips of being a roleplaying newbie, that would be helpful. Oh, and hi again.
[/quote]
Welcome!

There are two general approaches to roleplaying in MD - one is indifferent or organic, and the other is wholly creative.

The first approach, in which I include those who do not believe they are roleplaying at all, presents the character as a marginally (or non-) fictionalized version of the player. "Roleplaying" in this mode can include a belief that those operating in the second mode are delusional, a position that can be funny or irritating depending on your perspective.

The second approach presents the character as someone or something rather different from the player. To give you an idea, my primary account uses the template of an NPC I had developed for another game, in which he was a liche. When he came to MD, he found he was just an ordinary person once more, though attired appropriately to his origins (Etruscan). I like to say that this character, Tarquinus, is my dark side given a life of its own. My secondary account, Keith Moon, is a guy somewhat like me but younger and in better shape. The details of his life have been drawn largely, but not entirely, from my own memories. Neither of these characters is "me".

If you're really into roleplaying, just wander around and observe. You'll spot the avid roleplayers right away. Hope this helps.

To sum up what tarq said:

The first type is playing a [u]role [/u]while keeping the character pretty much yourself (the player). For this type there is no distinction between IC and OOC.

The second one is playing a [u]character[/u], sometimes including different personality as well. This one is what is commonly used in some RP games (play by post, play by email, and tabletops) but as MD didn't start with that kind of approach, you might find some problem at times as the first type doesn't separate IC and OOC and this type does.

But so far the two has been able to coexist to some degree (they haven't started killing each other.. much) so pick whichever suits you best :)

Three types actually.

1) Those whose character is mostly their own personality. Two categories- those who RP and those who see MD as a game. The second ones are mostly considered delusional by roleplayers.

2) Those who's character is a creation but abides to the game principles. (I.e. You play a dumb, strong character in MD, even though you are fairly intelligent, but not really all that fit IRL)

3) Those who create a character that isn't human, or has a background in a fantasy world. And who are considered delusional.