Laws of Nature in MD

Kamisha

When continuing to write my ethnography when I was representing the Univercity of Winnipeg (I am no longer) I came to something that I wanted to address but time constraints sort of removed my ability to do so. Now that I am no longer representing the U of W and I wont be constrained by time and I would like to write about it I feel inclined to ask.

When simply observing it is hard for me to actually see this so I am simply going to rely on what you people say since it would take years of observation in order to actually figure this out. I am also going to ask that YOU DO NOT LOOK AT OTHER ANSWERS BEFORE YOU ANSWER (that is really important).

So the question before I start to ramble and lose you intreset is this. Since the world of MD is a blank slate when the very first people entered the laws such as the law of gravity for example was layed out by you. So as an exstreme example that didnt nessarly have to be the case that gravity could have not existed when the first people entered. There is also magic in MD so what are the rules for magic. Could the be everything and anything or is the line drawn at if you die you cant bring them back thats the entire story basically.

So the bottom line is this:
What do you beleve are the basic laws of nature that are followed in MD and why do you think that?
I have some ideas of my own but I want to see what kind of variations people have on these.

I think the basic laws of nature in MD are close to that of RL. We all believe that being good pays for itself in some way. Wether its "heaven" in R/L, or our own self imposing will to be a part of something greater in MD. There are those that believe they can defy the laws of nature and create a 'void' as it were. Evil imposing itself with such great force that it litterally changes the world around us.

Laws of gravity and physics of course do not exist in a 2 deminsional world. MD itself is based on the premise that if you impose your will in the correct manner, it will happen. From 'eating an apple' to 'crashing an airship into the House of Liquid Dust'. So if it is those sort of nature laws you are looking for, there are non to my knowledge.

Any and all laws of any sort seem to mostly be induced by the masses. Mur as 'God' is limited to keep the existance of the game. If he were to take awya everyone's stats, creatures, and told them to start again. He would most likely be a lonley person. Though an interesting idea. So while Mur imposes 'natural laws' of sorts, he is held only as far as the mass will let him go. A rather good topic actually with the current chaos. Or at least thats my personal theory

Hmm... basic laws of nature can be expressed in many ways, i think. The scientific approach, the magical approach (which might include some science), and the "it exists because it is" approach that i just made up.

There are basic laws in magicduel that seem quite different than ours, and yet achieve the same thing. Element principle says water puts out fire, and guess what? It does :) The principles are kinda a way to predict the "basic laws of nature" with no proof - just ideas.

And now i'm blank. That's all i got.

I think the laws of nature in MagicDuel are somewhat similar to those of real life, but only because people think that's the way it is. If the MagicDuel world is an expression of people's minds, then shouldn't its governing properties be decided by those people?

Therefore, the Principles of magic must not be static either, and the idea of the first people entering the world of MagicDuel seems to make very little sense. Wouldn't this mean that the first person to "enter" MagicDuel (Mur) created it within their own mind and then it spread to other people's minds as well when they, in turn, entered/co-created it until it became a sort of wide, shared net of dreams.

And Magic doesn't have a limit or a line drawn... at all. It is what the most powerful collective of will wishes it to be, and if that idea of magic shifts... then magic shifts. The world of MagicDuel is collectively created by those who reside within it, with those who are greater in will having a proportionately greater influence on the way things work.

At least, that's my interpretation of it.

The underlying laws of nature a dictated by interface hardware and software - very arcane stuff indeed -- plus the limitations of human beings and all the cultural baggage that goes with.

Entering this world, we have Mur the creator imposing a layer of order that approximates his vision, but is not a perfect copy of what he conceived, nor is his vision without flaw and complete.

The Mur-layer of laws are mutable and changable by him. And they do change. He has appended Rendril to that effort.

The lesser players have a lesser ability to change the world and culture, creating "laws" and "customs" of a very different order. The social hierarchy is a grand experiment, monitored to an unknown degree by Mur. And he "plays" with us....

Its nice to see an actual at least in a very hazy way a concensus.

[quote name='J-D' timestamp='1326590661' post='100834']
I think the laws of nature in MagicDuel are somewhat similar to those of real life, but only because people think that's the way it is. If the MagicDuel world is an expression of people's minds, then shouldn't its governing properties be decided by those people?
[/quote]

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1326734447' post='100987']
The underlying laws of nature a dictated by interface hardware and software - very arcane stuff indeed -- plus the limitations of human beings and all the cultural baggage that goes with.
[/quote]

I think both Fryd Argentus and J-D hit the nail right on the head at what I was really exspecting would be the answer. That of course isn't to say that there is a correct answer just a hypothesised one. As my spell cheak fails and my clock turns over to 2 am I am going to say I still want to see more answers to compare them to what I already have. Good night and I have seen and understood the great social exsperement mur is letting us participate in.
[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1326734447' post='100987']
The lesser players have a lesser ability to change the world and culture, creating "laws" and "customs" of a very different order. The social hierarchy is a grand experiment, monitored to an unknown degree by Mur. And he "plays" with us....
[/quote]