this is serious

The MoM

More MP3s = good. You have a few facts 'wrong' though. Not wrong wrong, just missing a few details which explain things out a bit.

With the hits graph you found, you might want to compare that against what paid advertising was being done at the time, I suspect that there would have been a few weeks worth of it around the time the graph was formed, however there has been little to no paid advertising for a while, as far as I am aware (BFH would know for sure).

[quote]if he/she replies 'for good' then we ask why, not in the way of a text box,but rather, buttons, and we only input options he's seen so far
for example if he quits before story mode it would be something like 'the battle system is too boring' 'the graphics are horrible' 'the gameplay so far is really stupid' and ofcourse 'other'
and then, we do what facebook does to those who are trying to deactivate their account. Whichever option they pick, we tell them why that's NOT true, like 'the battle system is too boring' reply 'if it seems too boring for you, then maybe you have yet to find the creatures which will make it better, or have yet to understand it. Give it some time, and you might like it' then two options 'stay' and 'still leave'...[/quote]Personally I'd get annoyed by that and just completely ignore it, possibly giving me incentive to ~not~ return, but then I'm probably weird. Either way, I doubt a player will write a host of details about their game experience just before leaving it for good - what do they gain from that? (Human nature predilects the desire for gain). Not that it's not worth doing necessarily, just I'm not sure we'll get a large amount of useful data.

With that welcome message thing, could do that fairly easy with LHO if it's felt the messages in chat left for players doesn't do enough - will see about drafting out something between them.

[quote name='The MoM' timestamp='1344239207' post='119395']
finally... I've been searching for this since I first made this thread...

*drumroll* introducing the graph that made me worry :
[attachment=4104:1.png]

I'm not exactly sure, but graphical analysis and logical thinking lead the consensus that this isn't just 'temporary'
in 1 year, MD lost 75% of it's incoming 'hits'...

and now, so I don't get shouted at for only complaining, I have tried to think of what to do...

for one, I thought of making a referral contest, ie, he who refers the most (it would be obvious, an adept at a young age can only be referred) and the referred characters last over 15 days, wins. But I quickly found that silly and discarded it...

I also thought of something else, and better, but for this, I require resources I don't have...
to regulate and fix our 'change' it would be good enough if we simply made sure the MP3s stay here... how?
well, we should monitor their progress, and see at which stage they quit, allow me to exemplify :

first off, we check the number of unique visitors to the site that aren't already player (shouldn't be too hard).
we see how much of them actually sign up, as opposed to not. if about 99% sign up, well then, that's great!
If about 30% sign up, then we have to make the front page more attractive. problem found.

suppose 99% signed up. We check the how much quit right when they see all that reading (it happens) again, if the percentage is high, we have something wrong here to fix,
we continue all the time, creature acquiring, fighting, story mode
and we see, which part of the tutorial scares people away.

I'll be generous and say 70% of all people finish the tutorial and stick around...
we should know how much time they spent there, and on their time, we can deduce what they did/didn't do...
a mean & median for player's ages will also help a lot...

also, for the places we can't really know for sure, a simple pop up should appear for player when he tries to close the window if he is below 5 active days, and asks him if he wants to leave for good or not,
if he/she replies 'for good' then we ask why, not in the way of a text box,but rather, buttons, and we only input options he's seen so far
for example if he quits before story mode it would be something like 'the battle system is too boring' 'the graphics are horrible' 'the gameplay so far is really stupid' and ofcourse 'other'
and then, we do what facebook does to those who are trying to deactivate their account. Whichever option they pick, we tell them why that's NOT true, like 'the battle system is too boring' reply 'if it seems too boring for you, then maybe you have yet to find the creatures which will make it better, or have yet to understand it. Give it some time, and you might like it' then two options 'stay' and 'still leave'...

and one final thing, for those that make it out of the tutorial, an automatically generated random message, but from a player should be sent to the new guys, one like this :

hello, [name], and Welcome to MagicDuel!

in MagicDuel, you'll find all sorts of activities, so whatever you're like, you'll enjoy it..

There's fighting....
would you like to try and battle everyone, and become the supremem and ultimate player?
in our system, even the new player can beat the old one if he thinks well enough...

There's role playing...
are you creative and would like to show the world how unique you are?
magicduel allows you to build your character whichever way you want and then involve him in situations with others just like you!
There are no restrictions! you be anything, and do anything!

There's questing...
do you like to think and be mentally challenged? do you like to solve things?
magicduel is full of quests! anywhere you look, you'll find things that need solving.
I recommend [some tutorial quest starts go here]

There's learning...
if you like to uncover secrets and mysteries, and like to learn about the past and start of this world, then you can too!!

But first off,
before you can fight like a pro, you need more creatures...
before you can role-play, you need a more suitable position...
before you can quest, you have to find them...
before you can learn, you have to find hints...

you can do all that by exploring! so what are you waiting for? Go explore MD, and show it who you are!!

I don't mean to use this, I just mean like it'll help people know what to start doing...
[/quote]

Stats.. Lets see

I'm aware of every single stat of MD since its creation.

Referral contests. Easy and yet hard. Mur and I planned one like lets some months ago. But then I discovered some abuses on a project we started in which we gave away items for some top lists in exchange from gold. If MD community abused that they will abuse referrals, because for someone with knowledge it's extremely easier, for me it would be VERY VERY easy. Still I'm not saying it can't happen since I should have the plans of it somewhere, but surely will happen after tutorial get fixed. (Problem will be finding them on my pc :))

A little fact for those who asked me over time:

Lets say I can bring 20k traffic to MD in just one hour. But... the real question is will it help. Not at all, non quality traffic gets penalized by organic and I won't enter in details of what's organic and such. So at the end it's very bad. Google Penguin killed many many sites MD survived because a it was backlinked with quality sites.

Now speaking of intros, tutorial, or any messages. I'm just waiting for a council answer to start a project related with it. Do not worry that much, soon your options and opinions might become reality.

man MoM, ya got really worried by seeing that graph? that graph is short of few years

ya should check out full graph... forgot where i saw it

compare md in middle of 08 and now :D

tell me if ya survived heart stroke :P cuz back then md had 10 times more unique visitors than it is largest number on yoar lil graph, more over number of singups for md in 08 and early 09 make up half of all md accs, nuff said