Beserkers, Oak tower and LR back entrence Key fix INFORMATION

Chewett

• Root Admin

First, before i start any of this, i will point out something. Im not paid to do what i do, i do it because i find coding and MD exceptionally fun. However there are always things that you have to do which aren't fun.

I spent a good chunk of my time trying to find out how a very large number of accounts got access to a load of secret areas for no apparent reason. I have still not found it and still dont know what has happened. This is the same with the research since it is rendrils area and i did not code it. But it hasnt stopped me spending many hours on it. This is not fun.

There was a choice, between letting many accounts have access to many scenes they shouldnt, or implemented the only fix possible, this one. I discussed with council as to how they wanted but they also did not know what else could have been done.

I have also seen people be offensive towards me, personally, both on the forum and on email about the issue. This is also not fun. I have spent my time trying to fix issues ingame and you, MD, respond as you did? Makes me not want to do anything honestly, its sickening how you seem unable to respond nicely. But here i am still making this topic.

The fix is bad, it should have been done by mur when he did it, but he probably didnt think of resetting access like this. He could not have known that some big key issue would occur. He did not do it to spite you, nor have i.

Previously when you went up a mindpower you lost these keys. Mur originally just refunded all WP's used to buy them, then if you lost them when upgrading a mindpower you could rebuy them. This meant that those who didnt lose them gained a or three free wishpoints. This is why you didnt get refunded WP's now, because you already had been.

[b]There are two options for this thread. Either we can discuss nicely the issue and possible solutions. Offer suggestions as to what can be done now and try and work towards another solution. Or you can be offensive, i shall close the thread, and not attempt to help anyone else regards to the issue. You can deal with council.[/b]

[b]Your choice.[/b]

There seems to be a disconnect because I honestly don't recall any WPs having been refunded, and now I am faced with the loss of access. I'll put it simply: this is not the end of the world to me. Tarq still has a spell to get in Oak Tower, and Necrovion is effectively closed to him at this point, so the loss of access of Berserker's Charge is no big deal. But it's discouraging, you know? I am very much in favor of limiting access to people and I applaud everything you, Chewett, have done. But I'd like to know if there is some way to trace what I spent my WPs on and verify that I did in fact spend "refunded" WPs without knowing I was doing so. If it's a pain in the ass, let it slide for now! This to me is [u]not that important[/u]. But there is a morale factor in it, and I know it has affected Amoran the same way it affected me. I'd just like to think there's some way it can eventually be sorted out. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

[quote name='Tarquinus' timestamp='1362999448' post='133760']
There seems to be a disconnect because I honestly don't recall any WPs having been refunded,
[/quote]

Maybe it's time for you to read the announcements:

[quote][color="#CCCCCC"]Ann. 2041 - [2011-10-01 20:35:05 - Stage 11][/color]
Wishes that grant access to different locations, such as Oak Tower, several Marind Bell places, Loreroot back entrance and Bersekers Charge, were reset. [color=#ff0000][b][u]All that spent wishpoints for them received their wishpoint back.[/u][/b][/color] These wishes are now fixed and won't reset when moving to the next MP level how they did before. In addition, K doc wish was also reset but not part of this bugfix. Those that already have access to those places keep their access, it didnt reset with the wishpoint. This makes the access "for free" and also locks those wishes from being used. It is a side effect of the bigfix but enjoy it.[/quote]

• Root Admin

[quote name='Tarquinus' timestamp='1362999448' post='133760']
There seems to be a disconnect because I honestly don't recall any WPs having been refunded, and now I am faced with the loss of access. I'll put it simply: this is not the end of the world to me. Tarq still has a spell to get in Oak Tower, and Necrovion is effectively closed to him at this point, so the loss of access of Berserker's Charge is no big deal. But it's discouraging, you know? I am very much in favor of limiting access to people and I applaud everything you, Chewett, have done. But I'd like to know if there is some way to trace what I spent my WPs on and verify that I did in fact spend "refunded" WPs without knowing I was doing so. If it's a pain in the ass, let it slide for now! This to me is [u]not that important[/u]. But there is a morale factor in it, and I know it has affected Amoran the same way it affected me. I'd just like to think there's some way it can eventually be sorted out. If I can help in any way, please let me know.
[/quote]

If you are sure that you once did buy the access, and now cannot get it, then it definately was reset and you spent the wishpoints on something else.

I have modified the Current and past WP's page to detail what you have used them for. This should allow people to tally up what they spent.

You and Chewy keep referring me back to that announcement, but I read it at the time and I have no recollection of any WPs having been refunded; and if they had been, I would surely have used them to re-purchase access. Perhaps I am wrong, but simply pointing to an announcement from over a year ago doesn't make the case.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1363000071' post='133763']
I have modified the Current and past WP's page to detail what you have used them for. This should allow people to tally up what they spent.
[/quote]
Thank you.

Edit: Well, it seems that I "blew" the refunded WPs without meaning to, because Oak Tower and Berserker's Charge are back in the Wish Shop for me. The fault, of course, is mine. Apologies, and thanks again for the change to the WPs page.

Edited by Tarquinus

Then it's your fault for not saying something back then if you read the announcement and noticed that you didn't have the WPs. I received all the WPs spent for accessing restricted places and since it was a global reset I doubt Mur added exceptions.

Maybe i'm missing something important here, if so please enlighten me.
Seeing that the WPs 'remember' what they were spent on, wouldn't it be possible to reset them point by point, technically?
Obviously that's not a good idea for everything, like points spent on research points, locations or clickable access, and possibly also for the 'increase VE' thingies (not sure if they record how much that increase was at the time), but maybe it could be possible to the take wishes back that you spent on spells?

For example, if i had spent a wish to get 4 guardian army, and decide that this spell just isn't worth it, i might want to take that wish back and spend it on something else instead, maybe another spell, maybe access to scripting, who knows. That could, for example, be implemented as shop feature somewhere deep down the extra features section, probably 3-5 uses per reset, and each credit spent allows you to, for the lack of better words, relocate a wish.

[This might also help with complaints about spells that work in questionable ways, compared to their description.]

• Root Admin

[quote name='Burns' timestamp='1363003011' post='133769']
Maybe i'm missing something important here, if so please enlighten me.
Seeing that the WPs 'remember' what they were spent on, wouldn't it be possible to reset them point by point, technically?
Obviously that's not a good idea for everything, like points spent on research points, locations or clickable access, and possibly also for the 'increase VE' thingies (not sure if they record how much that increase was at the time), but maybe it could be possible to the take wishes back that you spent on spells?

For example, if i had spent a wish to get 4 guardian army, and decide that this spell just isn't worth it, i might want to take that wish back and spend it on something else instead, maybe another spell, maybe access to scripting, who knows. That could, for example, be implemented as shop feature somewhere deep down the extra features section, probably 3-5 uses per reset, and each credit spent allows you to, for the lack of better words, relocate a wish.

[This might also help with complaints about spells that work in questionable ways, compared to their description.]
[/quote]

council have already asked me the technical viability of this when i was discussing the fix with them, to which my answer was yes it is possible.

A year ago, I had used 3 wishpoints to buy the access to the locations, because the access was more important to me than spells. When Mur made changes back then, we got 3 wishpoints for "free" because we already had the access to the 3 location, so then I spent them on spells. However, spells are not as important to me as the access I had. So now, with the current change, the access is again lost and the case is made that I already spent the wishpoints on something else (spells).

Is there a way to exchange 3 spells for the 3 location access since the access is what I once bought? I don't ask that i should get the spells and the access both. I ask to replace the spells with the access. Afterall, if Mur hadn't done the changes that gave us the free 3 wishpoints, I would currently still have the access to the 3 locations (and not have 3 of my spells).

Or perhaps, as Burns suggests, there should be a reset of what wishpoints were spent on, and everyone gets to repurchase stuff.

Edit: I posted this a bit too late it seems. I'm glad that the coucil thinks a reset could happen. That would solve my issue as well.

Edited by Esmaralda

Burns, I see an issue with being able to reallocate WP's "at will", particularly if you do it via the MD Shop - The more WP's you spend, the deeper your access is, the more options you have available to you. If say you had 5 WP, takes 4 to get to the level you want, then you could buy 4 things you don't want, get the thing you do (which was hidden before), then reset the 4 WP, you'll have artificially gone deeper into the Wish Shop than you are meant to be.

• Root Admin

Good news, council agreed on the option they were discussing.

[quote]

Ann. 2510 - [2013-03-11 17:01:58 - Stage 11]
We have spent some time looking at the possible options and feel that the best solution is to offer everyone that lost access due to the bugfix the ability to "trade in" some of their wishpoints for the access again. This would involve removing something that they had originally purchased. This is to reflect the fact that people may value access to these locations more than things they later purchased.
We are still very sorry that the fix had to be implemented, but want to try and ensure that as few people are affected by this as possible. If you lost access and wish to trade one or multiple of your Wishpoints for access, email us the following (copied from the used WP page) one or more times. Only those who lost access to the locations are able to do this.

WP access: Beserkers Charge

WP to remove:

Playername of wish giver on date:

Reason for WP:

Used for: Locate spell 8 charges, regenerable
[/quote]