Day of Fear - Collecting entries

AmberRune

It's been a few months since Seigheart's DoF thing happened and we still don't have the entries that were sent in or a score sheet posted.

Since Seigh doesn't seem to want to put them out but I'm still curious about what was sent in, I'm opening this topic to show what I sent in at least and get a score sheet and collection of entries going. I'm starting with scores said in the chat on the topic but I don't know if those were all the scores given.

If anybody else would like to add their score and entry if they still have them, that would be much appreciated.

Scores (out of 10):

Mallos

Tarquinus 4

darkraptor 4

Pothos

Kyphis

DARK DEMON

Ars Alchemy

Koshu Farsight

Death Ray

ignnus

Sunfire

Tipu

tankfans

Windy

Nava 9

Lashtal 6

I am Bored

Numerius Felix

Fang Archbane

*Nimrodel* 6

JadenDew 10

Eagle Eye

Fire Starter

Eara Meraia

Valldore Nal 10

Tal

Seeker White

stavaroiu

rikstar

Dan Planewalker 10

nadrolski

Zyrxae (No score)

AmberRune 10

Syrian 8

[log My entry]

Ne speculum sui imaginem difficulter Veritatis et audi

Google Translate: A mirror image of itself, and not difficult to hear the Truth

The room at the beginning of MD is something like stepping into your mind, so I could assume we start there. Getting prepared to delve into an area of my mind. There is the light going from some place that  I can’t pinpoint but that probably won’t bother me unless it keeps moving, in which case I’ll be unnerved. On edge at least.

There is a door too, it’s dark and worn. There is an intricate door knob, tarnished. Likely is silver but hasn’t been cleaned in a while. The key is already in the door so I guess it is ready to open when I am.

To the mirror: something is in here with me but I can’t seem to see it. I will look around to see if I can catch it a few times before I will get extremely paranoid. Slow down, look ahead and down, and use the periphery vision like you’ve been taught to. Direct doesn’t work so indirect may be the only way. If not, then standing against a wall and looking ahead but down to try the periphery again might help.

So far, I know I’m in some less normal recess of my mind. The thing in the mirror has most of my attention. The door doesn’t bother me much at all for I feel I could easily open it should I need to escape.  Since this is my mind, I will have to acknowledge this door is probably a defense mechanism and knowing myself, it is most likely some escape from reality. Even if the key weren’t already in the door, I would most likely be able to open it given enough time. I have taken the “easy way out” of dealing with what I don’t want to acknowledge, of course the handle would be tarnished with use.

Nava has pointed out that this moving light could be an elusive truth or knowledge. Sadly, when combined with my thought that this box is a section of my mind this seems to indicate that the notion that there is knowledge out there about something doesn’t appear to mean much to me. I must - for whatever reason - just accept that something is true or know it (the truth or the information) is available should I need it. It’s just “white noise” of what my brain is collecting while I’m processing other stuff which could explain why it is on the physical space instead of as the focus of my vision as the brain is the physical which holds the mind.

This leaves me with this mirror and the thing I cannot directly see. This thing that I cannot see seems to be distracting me from looking at the mirror. It comes to my attention when I try to look at the mirror so it must not want me to interact with/on the mirror. The mirror could show me how I am on outside. This could contain my preconceptions about who and how I am and probably influences of what others have commented on my person and character. Knowing from discussion again that the words above the mirror mean “Do not, though difficult, fear the mirror and the image of its truth” and that people do not always say or know what is true about you, it is probably safe to assume that my mind is trying to trick me into believing this overly convenient, too-good-to-be-true idea since it is easier to believe what you hear and cave under peer pressure than to go out on a limb and stick to what you know.

The thing distracting me could be keeping me away from the mirror to keep me from succumbing to this possibly false idea of self and more focused on the surrounding light/truth/knowledge that I already have relatively close to my fingertips. Chasing this thing would make keeping away from the mirror easier than trying to go against the curiosity that would bring me closer to the mirror. It could even be some manifestation of my subconscious recognizing that something is not right with the mirror and trying to save me from falling into the false self image. The consciousness would be what you are aware of by definition while the subconscious takes notice of stuff on/at the edge of what you are immediately aware of.

In summary: the box surrounding is some part of your mind. The surrounding, moving light is the shifting area where information is pouring in from physical things. The door provides a relatively well used, physical option for avoiding mental issues.  The mirror is a way you could find out information –particularly on yourself- with feedback from both within yourself and from outside influences such as friends, associates, etc. And the shifting distraction is your subconscious.[/log]

[log Nimrodel's entry]Since I cannot find any source for the light, I think the light is coming from within myself. I see it as the light of truth, understanding and hope. The DarK room suggests the little corner of your mind where we hide our fears. At the moment, we are inside the room and the door is the only way to go out. The key is in the key hole showing that we are not locked in, but have a way to get out and leave our fears behind or keep them locked in as we choose. Now coming to the mirror, I think its a Black mirror as it shows only me and something else, but nothingelse in the room. Since I turn around and find nothing behind me or next to me, I presume that the 'somethingelse' is a a distorted view of my subconscious fears.The inscription says that the image may be decieving, So maybe its What I think the others percieve me as. The untrue me. But the light coming from my body reminds me that the person in the mirror is not me. I can see myself for what I truely am and what I see in the mirror may not be true.[/log]

[log Syrian's entry] I open my eyes and find myself in this room, the first thing I notice, its small, and its well lit but not bright, I scan the room looking for any sign of a light source but find none, the room has no shadows and the light doesnt seem to be coming from anywhere. The room is a lot like the room I met Marind. Suggesting that its not real,and its all in the mind and we are inside a cube as we were then. A room that may appear real but is only physical because our minds perceive it to be. The light reflects this, as a place in my mind there would be no discernible light source, and the room is just lit.

My eyes fall on a door, its worn which suggests its hard plenty of use, the key is in the lock, wherever I am, im not a prisoner here and im free to leave whenever I feel like it. The door is a heavily tarnished disfigured head, this further strengthens my idea of this room only being physical to my perceptions and not my outside reality.

As my attention shifts to the mirror on the wall I'm distracted by a figure at the edge of my vision, its possible it wants to divert my attention away from the mirror. The reason for this would be to keep me away from looking at myself, seeing myself on the outside. the outside perceptions that others have of me, the perceptions and expectations that are very easy to believe and be trapped by, tricked into thinking they are your own thoughts and ideas. It is easier to follow what people want and expect from you than it is to make up your own mind, it creates a distorted version of yourself, one that if you were to see from the outside you would be disgusted with (the face on the door could be a reminder of this).

As I lean forward I notice a latin phrase which translates to “Do not, though difficult, fear the mirror and the image of its truth” it is easy to fear and accept other peoples perceptions as your own, but you must not be afraid to find your own truth about yourself, free of outside influences, but to do that you must be aware of them, to face up to the expectations and the perceptions of others and realise what it means to be truthful to yourself, despite the fear of negative reactions that may follow were you to change who you are perceived to be. The figure out of your direct vision could be emotion, the distraction that keeps us from seeing the truth, the dark emotions of doubt and fear, the emotions that stop us from seeing clearly. [/log]

(edit 1: messed up on Nim's entry)

(edit 2: Added Vall and Jaden's scores and Syrian's entry)

(edit 3: added all participants names to the score list)

Edited by AmberRune

[log='Dan's Entry']

The situation you (Siegheart) have described is full of hidden meaning. Room itself and everything in it each separately can be interpreted in many different ways. However, putting them together, the following conclusions seem to be the most logical and harmonious amongst them.

I find myself in a small room that shows signs of wear and tear or neglect. I remember seeing something alike before: the Marind’s room. A wise person in this realm once said that everything here has to been taken symbolically. The cube-like wooden room gives a strange familiar feeling. It is old and worn out, but there is only me inside this room. Where is the only place that we can be truly isolated but in the prison of your own mind. The cube-like shape of this room suggests that is man-made. Its borders are artificial, just like our mind: the mind defines itself base on our knowledge, our culture, what we think we know, our way of thinking, ect... But why wood, why not stone? Tree is a living entity while stone is not. With time, tree grows, as our mind does. The room shows signs of wear, of time and of growth. My mind has been through a lot since the first day i arrived in this realm.

Thus, in this room, present four distinct differences from the Mandrin's room. They are the undefined light, the heavy blackened door, the mirror, and the existence of an unknown thing. Those are the keys to the understanding of this room, and will be respectively developed in the four following paragraphs.

THE LIGHT: in the symbolic world, light represents many things: from the power to see, life, knowledge to good, prosperity, joy amongst other concepts. Here, i can see light in this room, or more precisely, i know there is a light source in this room because of the light, but i cannot find it. The only thing in the world man cannot see is himself. Through our eyes, we can see the world, but one person cannot see his own face by himself. I am the light in this room. The "I" inside each of us is what makes a brilliant mind.

THE DOOR: because we cannot find the source of light, we spend time looking for it. In our mind, we are always searching for verity, for the reason of our existence, for the very light that welcomes us to this world. In the search for light, i look at a heavy blackened door. Men learn from history, from events, from the past. The door to the past is heavy and blackened because the past is always a burden to us, it will always influence us in many different ways. Although the key to the past is always there, going there is a fearful idea. Time makes mind grow, as well as fear. As time goes on, the past is forgotten, distorted. However, we cannot avoid the past on the journey to look for truth, we will have to learn from it again and again, drawing lessons from past mistakes.

THE MIRROR: a mirror is a device that let us see the image of ourselves. Without it, a man can see everything in the world, but not himself. A person alone does not know if he is good or bad, he can only know the reflection of the exterior. If the door leads to the past, the mirror is the image of the future, the projection of our past through the presence. It is the window of your soul, opens to the outside world. However, what the mirror shows us is not real, it is only an image, an inverse reflection of ourselves.

THE UNKNOWN: when we try to look into the future, the time yet to come: we will certainly see one thing: the unknown. Whenever there is the light of truth and knowledge, there will be the shadow of the unknown. It is the new Marind. If Marind represents the child inside each of us that we left behind when we join this realm, the unknown represents part of us that we have not discovered yet. That part has a name: fear. There is no greater fear than the fear of the unknown. We are scared of what we do not understand, we are scared of the beast inside that we cannot tame, the part of us that we have no control over.

When we put each and every pieces of the puzzle together, the picture appears clear, concise and understandable. Inside our mind, since we left the little child in us behind to go on a journey in this realm, we have been chasing the meaning to our life, we ask ourselves what our role in this world is. To find it, we try looking into our past, examining our surrounding, imagining the future. But we don’t know it is inside us. But something seems to escape our reach. We cannot seize the meaning of our existence. We cannot define our role because we afraid. Our fear prevents us from knowing the truth like the pitch black night consume light. In order to seek the purpose of our life, we must fight our own fear, we must strengthen our mind, and we must brighten our inner sun.

[/log]

Edited by Dan

[log JadenDew's entry]

Similar to Marind's wooden room, as mentioned in the scenario,  the room is mostly likely a representation of our psychological state. Considering the theme of this event, it is probably closely connected to fear.

In this room, there seem to be at least 3 objects related to fear. The ominous door, the mirror and the unknown presence.

Firstly, the door. Based on the idea first put forward by Nava, from how the door was first noticed when searching for the light, it may represent enlightenment or in another word "truth". However, despite that, the door's appearance is described as "heavy blackened door, scarred and worn, stands ominously in front of you. The door knob is a heavily tarnished disfigured head" which is quite opposite to its association with the light. I imagine that its appearance, at first look, would look as if it would feel dangerous to open it. Although the key is in the lock, meaning it can be opened anytime, one may feel insecure about opening it from its appearance. Thus, I speculate that the fear the door instill is a fear-obstacle that is needed to be overcome to obtain the "truth", enlightenment or further improvement of self. Perhaps the door's appearance, this fear it instill, is there because we are afraid of what would happen if we open it.

Next, the mirror. Examining the transition from the door to the mirror in the scenario, it seems that my attention was diverted because of the mirror's reflection. From the discussion in chat, the inscribed Latin words meant "Do not, though difficult, fear the mirror and the image of its truth" or "The truth in the mirror is the hardest to hear". Here again, seems to be another association with truth. The reflection is " not as you would see with your eyes" and the hint in chat that "You see what others perceive you as". From these and the inscribed words, I draw two possibilities how "truth" can be defined in this context. One being the "relative truth", or what people think you that is true to them whether or not it really is. The second definition being that, within the reflection and relative-truths people have of you, there are real truth of yourself, perhaps flaws that you have overlooked. This ties in to "hardest to hear" as these characteristics you have overlooked may not be something you easily accept and criticisms are more often associated more with hearing them than seeing them in terms language use. (Eg. He doesn't want to hear our opinions about his behavior). This representation of the mirror's reflection and the diversion of attention from the door to mirror also makes me speculates whether if it is a representation of people's (in general) obsession with their appearance to others and perhaps, a fear not making a good impression on others.

Next, in the scenario, my attention is diverted again to the unknown presence in the room.  From the use of exclamation mark in the line "there is something else in here with you!", there seem to be an unconscious insecurity that there is an unknown presence within the room. The first reaction to that is to resolve it and find out what it is. In fact, in chat, many people start discussing on finding ways to unveil its identity. (eg. Put your back against the wall, use the mirror, etc.)  The unknown presence, in my imagination perhaps due to the way it was described, defaulted to a form of a shadow and, in chat, there are some who thought of it as a shade. Both have a negative stigma to them. It appears to me that people are reflexively uncomfortable with uncertainties, especially that which they subconsciously assume is something negative or not good.

Back to how this room is a representation of our psychological state. Considering the speculations I have for the door, mirror and unknown presence. I wonder if this is a room containing fears that commonly are come crossed by majority. There is a way out, although ominous looking, but considering how our attentions are diverted over and over again, I wonder if these three representations are something we have to overcome before we could leave through the door we have found while looking for the light.

[/log]

Edit: Pasted twice >< Fixed now, sorry about that!

Edited by JadenDew

[log='Zyrxae's entry']Like the room in the Wooden Box, this small realm is one of the mind. My actions within it are metaphors, but this makes them no less real; indeed it makes them more so.

The light is present so that I may see, and so that the shadows are not impotent. (There are no shades without light for comparison.) I can’t find its source because it emanates evenly from the room itself; this implies that no particular part of the room is spotlighted or innately deserving of my attention.

The door and its handle together are described as ominous, scarred, disfigured, heavy, blackened, and tarnished. I would beware it for now, as I would any entity bearing these characteristics.

“The mirror on the wall holds your reflection, not as you would see with your eyes.” Your reflection, not as you would see with your eyes…how else to see but with that part of the mind we call the heart? This second reflection of mine, then, reflects my own interior. I hesitate in comparing this quality to shades: though such an analogy may be appropriate here, so many others have made it before me and I feel their manner was crass and disrespectful toward the reality of “personal darkness”. It’s one thing to talk about such things and quite another to live them. That said, certain things can be known about shades. "He who fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster"—so the quote goes, and while shades are not "monsters" per se, they share their ability to induce fear and the notion that those who battle them are ultimately on their side. The Adventure Log's notion of "shades in Marind Bell" reflects this aspect.

The script in the mirror says something to the tune of "The truth in the mirror is the hardest to hear". This seems as trite as it sounds, and yet it holds some truth: those truths which resonate deepest within us—those that deal with our own faults and frailties—are also those that we often prefer not to acknowledge. With this in mind I reexamine the door. Yes, it appears imposing, but it is also my only apparent exit from this place. But first I must deal with that which flits at the edge of my vision…

For a moment I consider keeping my back to the walls and floor so as to eliminate my blind spot. But under no conditions does anyone lack a blind spot; besides, this is an entity of shadow and metaphor, not one bound to the laws of physical space. I opt for honesty and reconsider. If the mirror shows my true reflection, it should also show the true reflection of the thing I can’t look at directly. Like an optical (or other) illusion, the more I look at it, the more it goes away…so I remain facing, eyeing the mirror’s reflection of the flitting shadow and the door itself as I turn the key in the lock and exit through the door.[/log]

Didn't receive a score (did ask).

Thanks to Amber for starting this, and to those who've consented/posted their submissions. These are all fairly similar at first glance (do enclosed crowds such as that in the tunnel correlate with pressure to conform?)..but any serious analysis should probably wait until more of these are in.

Speaking of pressure, apparently some others sent in entries and also didn't get scores; maybe they could also be included in the title post.

Edited by Zyrxae

darkraptor's entry [spoiler]In the room there is a door with key and knob, wich imply free access so you can enter na leave the room when you want.
The existence of the key on the door also implies you can lock the door once you leave.
There is light but you can't define the source.. most probably because you are the source of it, you also are the only solid object in the room and as so no shadows can be cast.
The present mirror seems to be a blackmirror, judging by the inscription (something like: "Do not, though difficult, fear the mirror and the image of its truth")
You also realize there is something else with you in the room, can't seem to be seen so is something you feel.. something that is yours and is kept and handled in this room. Fear.
In result a room where you can freely enter, where you can freely look a the blackmirror and face your fears by facing truth. The handy thing is once you leave you can use the key and lock your fears behind.
[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...

Valldore Nal's entry:

[spoiler]

Here follows my conclusion, as in the course of action i would follow if i got in a situation like the one you describe.But first i need to make some clarifications, since you specifically asked for evidence, which i perceive as arguments for the actions we choose to take , or not take.

I have to admit, all this brainstorming that took place about symbols and what this room and each element that it consists of represents was fun to follow and be part of. But in the end, each one really perceives the room on its own way and reacts to it accordingly (the rp element that you asked as well). Valldore Nal is a character that pretty much acts with logic and perceives things in a more "direct" approach. So my actions would be based on that. That actually means interaction with each important element (important for Valldore and important as to what he could make out of it).

Also , the lack of information we have about the room (the description is quite vague and i believe it was done on purpose) will force me to give you some senarios about possible interactions and effect that those interaction may have (i can't be sure to have covered all possibilities, but i'll do my best)

Last, i will "renarate" the story, cause i think that's the best way to describe my reaction in the given situation in a better way.

So here it goes :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in a small dingy room (the way you start this, and considering the fact that i do remember my past, but i have no idea of how i got here kinda gives me the feeling that i woke up in that room). The room has some light, not too bright but not too dark either.

Valldore Nal: Where the hell am i ? And how did i get here ?

I take a quick look around, unable to spot the source of light

Valldore Nal: Strange ......

But since i can't seem to spot anything , i move to actually examine the room. I sincerely wouldn't notice the similarity to Marinds room on first sight, not too famous about my memory regarding scenes and images. So i wouldn't notice that. But what i notice is a heavy blackened door, scarred and worn.The door knob is a heavily tarnished disfigured head and the key is in the door. The first thought would be to leave the room at once, but my curiosity would lead me to actually give it a better look before moving on.

The mirror on the wall will be the next thing to draw my attention.

Valldore Nal: Seems strange, the reflection is somehow distorted, not like a regular mirror (what comes in mind from this description is a mirror similar to those used in amusement parks that distort the reflection of the watcher in various ways, making him taller, fatter, shorter etc)

I notice a minute script above the mirror, that says "Ne speculum sui imaginem difficulter Veritatis et audi.

Valldore Nal: Wtf is this and what does it mean ? (Valldore doesn't know latin, so i have no idea of the meaning of the words)

While i'm about to examine the mirror more closely, i get a feeling that someone or something is watching me.My eye catches something, but i fail to manage and look at it directly.

Valldore Nal Shouts: Who is there ? Is someone else in here ? Who are you and where the hell am i ? Show yourself !

If whatever that thing is answers (which i doubt) i would try to get a conversation with it. If not (which i find more possible) i would do a couple more tries to see it and figure who or what that is. A chill would come down to my spine, but i'm gonna try to figure out a solution to that.

I'll spend some time thinking of an approach. At this point, i could as well go to the door and leave, but there are 2 reasons i wouldn't. First one is that i would really wanna find out who is there and where am i and second that i wouldn't wanna open a door to an unknown destination, with possible dangers ahead, and leave behind me another possible danger.

The first idea that would come to my mind would be to go a corner and try to spot whoever is with me in there. I assume again that it will fail because the light of 3 candles (which is the amount of light i believe is present, since the room is similar to Marinds one and that room had 3 candles to light it)(you said the difference was that the source cannot be found, but not really that the amount of light is different ) is not enough to brightly light the room and something could easily be hiding in the shadows. Also, if it was that easy to spot it, i assume that i would have already spot it directly. If for by any chance that actions allows me to see it directly, if it is somekind of humanoid i would prob try to get a discussion again and if it's something different(that looks bad in my eyes) i would prob try and leave the room.

Now back to the failure of my first plan. The second thing that would come to mind would be to be as silent as possible, even holding my breath, to try hear that thing,in order to actually verify that there is something else in here. At the same time, i'll try to think a logical way to figure out again what that is, which will lead me to the mirror.

Weither i verify or not by sound if there is something else, the idea has been implanted already. So next action would be to go to the mirror and try various methods (looking directly and checking my back, looking in various angles and try to catch a better glimpse of what's in there) to see what's in there.

I can't be sure that this method will work as well, at which point i'll prob shout again for it to come front and answer my questions. Given the fact that i've already done pretty much whatever i could, and everything has failed, i'll start considering that this thing doesn't want to show itself and i can't force it. I'll take another fast look around the room, mostly to make sure i didn't miss anything of importance and decide to head to the door and leave (assuming ofc that it can be opened and is not stucked or bared from the other side or something, which was the first impression i got about it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i said, that would be a pretty direct approach on the subject (no idea if that's what you really expected from us) but as much as i enjoy theoritical conversations and stuff like that, in my point of view that's a nice subject to discuss from a "safe" place. So in a "real time/real life" situation, i believe that's the way i would have perceived things and acted according to that .

[/spoiler]

Edited by Valldore Nal