Land Structures

Chewett

• Root Admin

So, originally we had a structure of that you talk to your ally leader about getting things, Then talk to your lander leader, who then can forward things onto the right people.

The problem however exists is that not all the land leaders are knowledgable about MD and can actually help you do what you want. I have had a number of cases where a land leader has pointed people in the wrong direction, told them they cant do things when they most certainly can or just plain failed to tell them the right information.

Initially my idea was to just "train them up" but after some discussion it would be a lot harder to do this since its not that they are new to MD, they just plain dont know how it works administratively or know basic MD rules.

Then next idea was "Well why dont you ask a LHO" but again, there are some LHO's that plainly dont know their stuff regarding rules. They work fine in the case of helping new people do basic stuff but there is a complete lack of training (something I have repeatedly raised to grido, with no affect).

So then I open the floor to discussion, does anyone else thing there is a better structure than "ask chewett or ask council"?

I dont mind being asked loads of things, But there must be more people than just me that A) actually knows the rules and B) can point people in the right direction as to who deals with what in MD.

Why does there have to be anybody who points people to right direction? Wouldn't it be simpler to have a detailed list in which everything is explained and said about where and who to turn to if you need X thing? In such case everybody would be able to point out clueless person to that full list and problem would be solved.

Honestly, speaking from just my experience, the best way I learned this type of stuff was from observing others who were older and had dealt with such situations before, learning silently from it, and then doing the same. But then again, not every single rule can be displayed this way.

A 1000+ day LHO wouldn't ask/PM an older LHO about rules, because he'd think he'd look like a newbie and be ashamed.

@Ary: that would further reduce interaction between people and thats always a bad idea. Older people or people in authority should know more and should be able to point their citizens in the right directions (if not them, who?). There cannot be a fixed list because each land would point in different directions, eg: I doubt Loreroot and Necro would deal with a problem in the same way.

Edited by DARK DEMON

It would get things done, people would actually know where to turn and time of important people wouldn't be constantly wasted. Other solution is to train LHOs as Chew said earlier. You need to write that list only once and update it occasionally as new features are added, while you would constantly need to train every new LHO.

then create a detailed list and present it to the people who are in charge of pointing people in the right direction, if interaction is such a big deal. a 1000+ AD LHO should know that if they dont know something then they should find out or point someone in the right direction, if they are giving false information knowingly because they dont want to look like an idiot, then they are not good to be an LHO.

Sy

It would get things done, people would actually know where to turn and time of important people wouldn't be constantly wasted. Other solution is to train LHOs as Chew said earlier. You need to write that list only once and update it occasionally as new features are added, while you would constantly need to train every new LHO.

Like Chewy and myself implied, its difficult to train a 1000+ day LHO who knows how stuff works in general but cannot be very specific in a real situation.

Or maybe you can just convince them that its nothing to be ashamed of

then create a detailed list and present it to the people who are in charge of pointing people in the right direction, if interaction is such a big deal. a 1000+ AD LHO should know that if they dont know something then they should find out or point someone in the right direction, if they are giving false information knowingly because they dont want to look like an idiot, then they are not good to be an LHO.

Sy

This is true. I agree.

Edited by DARK DEMON

• Root Admin

Why does there have to be anybody who points people to right direction? Wouldn't it be simpler to have a detailed list in which everything is explained and said about where and who to turn to if you need X thing? In such case everybody would be able to point out clueless person to that full list and problem would be solved.

Becuase its hard to continually update a list, We had a rules list, that is totally outdated because people dont volunteer to update it and keep it up to date.

Honestly, speaking from just my experience, the best way I learned this type of stuff was from observing others who were older and had dealt with such situations before, learning silently from it, and then doing the same. But then again, not every single rule can be displayed this way.

A 1000+ day LHO wouldn't ask/PM an older LHO about rules, because he'd think he'd look like a newbie and be ashamed.

Thats not a great way, and you have had issues after "learning" from this way.

If a LHO doesnt ask things they dont know we should fire them, they are a horrifyingly bad LHO if they do this.

The problem is that, We dont know what that list needs to contain honestly.

Sy

Agreed with Syrian about the LHO's.

Perhaps I will keep a public list as I am asked things, what do people think?

Becuase its hard to continually update a list, We had a rules list, that is totally outdated because people dont volunteer to update it and keep it up to date.

The problem is that, We dont know what that list needs to contain honestly.

This is a big problem if council doesn't know their own jurisdiction. If they do then there it is, that's what needs to be listed. All stuff that they can and are supposed to do with tools they have, as well as all other more intangible things that Mur entrusted them such as revising rules.

I don't see why it would be problem to update such list if council does it themselves at the moment some change is made, for example new feature is out and council has some role about it or change in rule happened. It's like being forum mod, you moderate while you read forum, you don't moderate after you read it all and then relaxed for two days, you do it instantly. However in here we have distribution problem, Voice of Council would be needed again who would publish this list changes. This sort of approach would be fuss and I consider it a must that Council has editing ability of Rule pages ingame or even new page for all this guidelines. It's Council they are highly capable and organized they know what they can or can't do, what they are supposed to do, what they are authority for as well as who ever is under them. All that's needed is that their job is listed publicly as well as of all those other people with "admin" roles.

Example: For ABC go to Council, for bugs go to Bugs, for avatars go to Avatar Managers, for promotion things go to BFH, for LHO go to Grido, etc.

I really feel that there should be some sort of pinboard through which Council can publish permanently and up to date things important for the game. Announcements are useful for making news and are just not useful as references of how things currently are, they also don't cover full picture. "Pinboard" page for MD hierarchy structure and their role/job. I don't think updating it would be problem if it's done on the spot. When you get your new certificate you go straight to Human Resources, when government agency/institution gets new obligation to fulfill they make it known instantly on their website. Somebody gets new obligation to do in MD, first thing he should do is make it listed under his job description. This pinboard-like page can be some mix between rule page and art page, both are done in nice fashion but lack this update approach.

• Root Admin

This is a big problem if council doesn't know their own jurisdiction. If they do then there it is, that's what needs to be listed. All stuff that they can and are supposed to do with tools they have, as well as all other more intangible things that Mur entrusted them such as revising rules.

Council do _everything_ but some things need to go to others. Its not a question of what they do, but what to tell others they do specifically.

E.g. You cant just say "Council does everything" You need to specifically list those things.

What do people want to know? As I said I can update a list as Im asked things.

Council knows what other people do and list them as primary contact for that X sort of thing, council will takeover that case if that said person forwards it back to council. Same as in justice department IRL, smaller courts deal with small things but sometimes case gets forwarded to higher level court.

Yes council needs to specifically list all that everything, especially the things only they can do, while listing other people who are in charge of those other things, such as avatars. This is called delegation of authority.

People want to know everything, with emphasis on things that only said body and nobody else can do or is in charge of doing. For instance, basic payment stuff, item crafting, account fixes, disputes, etc.

• Root Admin

Council knows what other people do and list them as primary contact for that X sort of thing, council will takeover that case if that said person forwards it back to council. Same as in justice department IRL, smaller courts deal with small things but sometimes case gets forwarded to higher level court.

Yes council needs to specifically list all that everything, especially the things only they can do, while listing other people who are in charge of those other things, such as avatars. This is called delegation of authority.

People want to know everything, with emphasis on things that only said body and nobody else can do or is in charge of doing. For instance, basic payment stuff, item crafting, account fixes, disputes, etc.

But my point is, that list is so large its stupid to try and list it granularly.

Which is why I proposed making the list organically rather than trying to make an exceptionally long list.

Well I actually had idea that this list would be of drop down nature like many FAQs are and it would detail whole thing listing even requirements on what to send for X thing person wants.

Anyway it doesn't matter that much to me how it's done as long as people are informed it matters not to me how it's done. Updated, easily available and comprehend-able are most important traits, if you can shorten the list by making it statements that clearly imply all matters related to it, then do it. :) Nobody will question method as long as it does what it should.