Rebirth

Ungod

Reading Rhaegar s post, I remembered about a thought process that happened some months ago. You see, in the Christian religion we have this idea that somehow, someone - a holy being - died and was ressurected. This idea is very powerful.

Now, game makers in the world adopted this idea without giving much thought. It helps serve a very important purpouse - that of saving a character progress, so that a player does not lose ”himself” when he/she dies. In this way, the idea of death can be implemented in a game and sucha n idea is inherently interesting - because it embodies our greatest fear. A game where you can die, but ressurect, appeals to us greatly - and it is a cultural thing, as well, as I will explain.

We have death and ressurection (with a dark variant - necromancy). But if we look at the source of this idea, we will probably find the closest one in the phoenix bird - the creature that dies and from its ashes a new egg appears. A creature that ”revives”, but in cush a way that it can be called immortal.

Lets go even further...how come the human being came up with this idea of something that re-creates itself? Any species, through mating, creates a ”copy” in each new living thing - a unique ”copy”. In this way, a species (humans, too) can be seen as immortal. We live through our children, the same way our parents live through us. This is, in my opinion, the way the idea of ressurection was born.

Kingdoms are reborn, ideas are reborn - but only in spirit. The vessel is always different.

So, why this long explanation? Because the idea of ressurection, used in all games, goes too far from its original source, which saw the spirit eternal, not the vessal. Rebirth is actually more befitting to a ”sane” thinking than ressurection and this should be implemented, just like a creature transferred to another player returns to its ”egg”. So, what i propose is that players killed have all their personal heat eliminated and they return to mp3. Once there, they will have to regain the heat to advance, but...they will be most likely unable to use most of their creatures. The idea of a rebirth, in which you start anew, in a way, speaks about death in a more...coherent way, although this is very distant to us, culturally speaking. I dont know if revival items could be used in such an occasion; maybe an other tool.

(3 things to add: I used the terms ”rebirth”, ”ressurection” and ”revival” loosely, I shouldnt have, but I wrote this on the spot;

this is a rather delicat subject in that I dont know if something essential changes in terms of game mechanics, its more of a philosophic thing;

currently, there are bonuses in story mode, so the idea would only work if story mode is removed)

Sounds awesome. I can already see marketing for this. "MP5 too hard for you? Worry not, we will kill you and then you will have your drachs and stats so you can beat on noobs"

[end-of-sarcasm]

Lets start with how easy it is to get killed, it's really just a click away.

Lets continue with: do you suggest this should replace the current resurrection mechanics? Or does it build on Princ's idea, or what?

Then I must say it's very unfair if people go back to MP3 with their stats and without their creatures being reset. If you reset their creatures it's a bit more fair but still a problem. Moreover if you do this wins would go poof and you will have very pissed players who lost 10k+ wins on 20 of their creatures. You will have pissed off noobs who get killed with millions of damage in their first day.

Getting back people to MP3 isn't an option. Resetting their creats and stats isn't either. Especially not since they can't prevent from getting killed, not even sitting in sanctuary prevents use of kill item and it's quite easy to get killed.

The way I read it, it's nice story, but horrible implementation idea.

I like the conclusions very much on the research level. In practice it would be very hard to pull it off, due to availability of kill weapons, chaos it can create to the gameplay and work effort of years killed in a moment.

There were numerous starting ideas from Mur on how should MD work but that didn't go in that direction because of very hard implementation.

For this to be actual, appearance of death should be very very rare.  

@No One:
I was an MP3 when I joined the Legend Speakers. 

Are you speaking mechanically wise, or morally wise, when you say no MP3 can join Alliances?

edit: Granted, things may have changed, hence why I ask for clarification.

Edited by Curiose

Hmm...I dont mean resetting everything, just the mind power and the personal heat. Creatures dont get reset. I thought that you wouldnt be able to use most of your crits, since the powerful ones, maxed, cant be used in rituals and you would have to go acquire new ones. Isnt this the case?

As for alliances, this is a hard one. For one, death means the vessel is gone, but the spirit of it remains, somewhere in another plain. So, this would mean that staying in an alliance shoould be allowed. I repeat, I didnt propose resetting everything.

The problem of this idea is another one:) (althought there are some other important ones)

Edit: the situation wouldnt change much in some aspects. if you die, the present ”vessel” is gone, so your spirit would be incapacitated until it finds a new one (the new one has the same name, because it bears the same spirit - your spirit). the period of incapacitation is what right now is the period when you are a ”ghost” and the tool of revival would be a tool that directs the spirit into a new vessel

Edited by TheRichMerchant

No it's not the case, antifreeze! It would have many many problems if you reset their MP level and heat. In addition to those problems I mentioned in first post. People would go through story mode again, in order to get back to MP5. You know that MP3/4 story mode are percentage based boosts? If darky repeats storymode in MP3, ALL of his stats would get boosted by 2000%.(I don't know the exact end percentage, my point with 2k% boost is that boost would be huge) It's 8% boost per page if you wait 24h, if not then it's 4%. Boost is cumulative, meaning second page is actually boost higher than 8% since it uses new boosted stat value as base. Just like every sequential shop purchase gives you more and more stats. This means in just one repeated cycle, Darky/Eon would brake DB because numbers would be so huge. Everybody would want to get killed in order to multiply their stats. Grinding would become obsolete, because all you need to do is keep dying.

In short this would brake the game on so many levels.

MP5 - If the Heat Tolerance bellow  4200000 drop tp MP4 and lossing % of principles

MP4- If the Heat Tolerance bellow 380000 drop to MP3 and lossing % of principles

Tasks for MP3 To advance to next MindPower

• To advance to the next mindpower level and replay the story to gain more skills you need to win 100 fights.
  • You are also required to LOSE 100 fights.

You cannot change/choose another principles because you already finish the STORY MODE

If you drop to mp3 you must go through story mode to advance to mp4 and then mp5. When you drop to mp3 your lowest principal would go away. It would effectively allow you to change two principles per drop...

Overall this spell benefits the target more then it hurts them from a mechanical standpoint. The time spent in story mode would be the biggest "hindrance"

Edited by Rophs

I dont want to spoil your fun, but http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/15703-r-c-in-relation-to-removal-of-story/?hl=%2Bstory+%2Bmode

Story mode is not the issue here.

There is nothing to spoil for me. But I will spoil your fun: did Mur mentioned when will that happen ? It is not even mentioned the (MD) "soon". So, I will not bother with it until it really gets implemented.

Indeed, the story more is not the issue but the "flat voice"/"presentation style" of EE's comment :

[spoiler]

MP5 - If the Heat Tolerance bellow  4200000 drop tp MP4 and lossing % of principles

MP4- If the Heat Tolerance bellow 380000 drop to MP3 and lossing % of principles

Tasks for MP3 To advance to next MindPower

• To advance to the next mindpower level and replay the story to gain more skills you need to win 100 fights.
  • You are also required to LOSE 100 fights.

You cannot change/choose another principles because you already finish the STORY MODE

[/spoiler]

Some noobs  might take this "information" for real fact.

What I understand from his post ( I will not comment on why I disagree with it ) is that is sure fact that if you lose the heat you can change MP level ... from MP5 to MP4 and then to MP3.

But I know as a fact that this is false.

As for jumping through MP levels, up and down, I guess he is an expert in getting to MP6 and back.

But we still lack ppl who jumped back to lower MP levels.

There is nothing to spoil for me. But I will spoil your fun: did Mur mentioned when will that happen ? It is not even mentioned the (MD) "soon". So, I will not bother with it until it really gets implemented.

Indeed, the story more is not the issue but the "flat voice"/"presentation style" of EE's comment :

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Some noobs  might take this "information" for real fact.

What I understand from his post ( I will not comment on why I disagree with it ) is that is sure fact that if you lose the heat you can change MP level ... from MP5 to MP4 and then to MP3.

But I know as a fact that this is false.

As for jumping through MP levels, up and down, I guess he is an expert in getting to MP6 and back.

But we still lack ppl who jumped back to lower MP levels.

I do believe it is a suggestion, not a statement of the current system.