Roleplaying

Greetings all,

My name is Alexander Liberius (character name) and I've been playing this game for quite a while now, I must say that this whole experience is very unique from the rest of the browser-type games out there. The complexity and art is astonishing as well as the game mechanics and the friendliness of the people (specially MRF, Aethon, blackshade rider, Ungod, Grido and Syrian) who helped me answer all my questions and occasionally saves me from being stuck in some of the lands everytime I try to explore (high AP requirements)

A few questions about the roleplay system. I browse the forums from time to time looking for more information about the game, and roleplay interests me the most. What is the purpose of it and what's the difference between roleplaying and not roleplaying? Would you still get the same benefits for both? I'm currently reading the adventure logs and I found out they are real characters in MD, so I'm thinking that so far that's the only benefit of roleplaying (roleplay items can be bought from the shop using credits but I'm still not sure how they can be utilized for a role, as far as I've heard they are useless) so bottom line is what do I get out of roleplaying? Is there some kind of difference between roleplaying and not? Any roleplaying model that I can follow if I do roleplay?

Regards,
A. Liberius

If you find people who you enjoy roleplaying with, you get people you can fun with. You don't have to do it and you don't have to be more than just doing trivial stuff but it's perfectly possible to not really roleplay and enjoy yourself or do some roleplay or only roleplay and have a good time.

Basically, you get out what you put in

The adventure log is a chunk of MD's history. It's a record (and more), not a reward for roleplaying.

Roleplaying is, first of all, playing. Having fun, experimenting, learning new things. As for the 'role' part, I think MD allows some 'serious roles', and I don't mean by that dragons, lizards, dragon-slayers, wizards etc. You can play a slave, a servant, a naive person, a liar. Play, experiment, grasp the possibilities and limitations and you'll have people gravitate around your roleplay when it is good.

(the above comes from someone who's not into it. yet. it might be true, though, who knows :)) )

Roleplaying can sometimes get you further. If you play out a role well enough, you can get things to aid you play it, some people have become official game characters as a result of their roleplaying.

Mostly however, people do it for fun, and it makes interacting with others a bit more interesting, as you can portray yourself to be something other than you are in real life (or indeed extend your actual persona into the game.

Utilization you ask....

As with any real multiplayer roleplay game, you have complete freedom of creativity and possibility, limited only by setting of game, in this case MD realm. With such freedom comes system's inability to make decisions in conflicting actions of interaction among players. in other words system can't decide anything (nor it exists) rather, social environment (community of other players that are present at the place of action happening) decides the outcome...

Basically if you are to hit somebody on the head with a bottle you must make it believable that you have the means and ability to do it on your target for all the present observers and action should be accepted or refused/countered in same manner by the victim subject so to speak.

Now all those RP commodities such as items, avatars, spells, tags, "character-establishment" and such come into play because they reinforce that said "reality". As a follow up to above example, if you have avy that looks aggressive, item called head cracking bottle and a tag named head smasher; the above exemplary action would be very likely to be accepted by surrounding players. On other hand if you always force something to happen the way you want it with no regards to your and other player's rp "resources", then you are basically god modding.

The biggest tip I can offer is try to RP according to the world of MD. This might mean you will need a bit of understanding of it, but if you manage to tailor your character specifically to MD (rather than make a generic wizard) you are considerably more likely to be remarked.

Keep it up. Good RPers are always welcome, as far as I'm concerned.