On stupidity

Ungod

I'm gonna share something with you because I am getting old and some stuff that I held to be true before just doesn't make sense anymore. I can't find stupid people in my world :( 

Yesterday I went to do some house viewing and one of the houses was a nice little setup. The story was about two young lovebirds who bought a house and made the necessary arrangements to live in style there, but some years ago things happened and they decided to leave for UK for good. Now the house is empty, but look how beautiful it looks! Everything's new, the location is great, it's a bargain! Everybody would say 'They were stupid to leave all this'.

Regardless, my bullshit radar activated and I need no confirmation to be sure that this was a house bought at half the price they're selling, put in maybe 5k to make it look nice and another 5k to dress it up and expect some huge profit. Hey, there's money to be made in this industry, even if it's dying atm. I chuckled at the bubble bathtub for two people. The marketing is great - it's those young gullible couples who'd bleed their money over it. Stupid? I don't think so, this was all well-planned and executed.

Years ago, I was making a trip that involved crossing a border. That usually took about an hour or so, but what was particularly memorable about the trip was that the driver decided to bring three little kittens with him (they were in the back). Sure, kittens look nice in pics, but once they start pissing and shitting in their cage (because of fear, hunger, car-sickness, I don't know), hehehe, the joke's on you. And the driver...was exceedingly happy that day. From the beginning to the end, he kept chuckling and making jokes. I think many of us feel something is wrong when something IS wrong. I didn't know what was wrong, but soon after the trip I had this weird thought in my mind - was he smuggling cocaine (after sniffling some)? Some reader from the US may say 'Well, duh', but in Europe things are a little different. When there's smuggling, everyone's usually on it - not a lot of freelancing around. 

'Fucking moron, dumbass, cretin, imbecile' are all adjectives we, the passengers, lovingly attributed to the driver. But was he an idiot for transporting the three kittens (given to him by 'an animal loving friend') or was he deterring policemen (and police dogs) from getting at the back? Stupid? I don't think so, he was laughing his ass off.

And I...tried to educate some people around me. I thought 'If I'd explain things to them, they'd get it and we'd all  do something good together'. How wrong I was! In thinking people don't know better (a.k.a. 'are stupid'), I was the only idiot of there. One person in my life drove me crazy, until I realized she wasn't dumb, just didn't want to accept the kind of reality I was looking at. I mean I can't pretend I don't see what I see. I suppose we all ignore some aspects of life - we're not invincible - but some people run from reality far and wide. Stupid? Nah, just weak and wanting protection, not the harsh reality and the obliteration of dreams (I'm *this* close to joining SI).

In any case, the proverbial fool is harder to spot than the Yeti. There have been more sightings of the Loch Ness monster. Sure, stories are using this trope and comedy inevitably has 'a dumb one'. But if you think someone is stupid, and laugh at him/her, you'd better take a look in the mirror. The one who doesn't understand things is you.

(P.S. This is how you kill laughter and create a gloomy world - show people the reality. And... be sure to take away their booze and drugs.)

2 hours ago, Ungod said:

I'm gonna share something with you because I am getting old and some stuff that I held to be true before just doesn't make sense anymore. I can't find stupid people in my world :( 

Yesterday I went to do some house viewing and one of the houses was a nice little setup. The story was about two young lovebirds who bought a house and made the necessary arrangements to live in style there, but some years ago things happened and they decided to leave for UK for good. Now the house is empty, but look how beautiful it looks! Everything's new, the location is great, it's a bargain! Everybody would say 'They were stupid to leave all this'.

Regardless, my bullshit radar activated and I need no confirmation to be sure that this was a house bought at half the price they're selling, put in maybe 5k to make it look nice and another 5k to dress it up and expect some huge profit. Hey, there's money to be made in this industry, even if it's dying atm. I chuckled at the bubble bathtub for two people. The marketing is great - it's those young gullible couples who'd bleed their money over it. Stupid? I don't think so, this was all well-planned and executed.

Years ago, I was making a trip that involved crossing a border. That usually took about an hour or so, but what was particularly memorable about the trip was that the driver decided to bring three little kittens with him (they were in the back). Sure, kittens look nice in pics, but once they start pissing and shitting in their cage (because of fear, hunger, car-sickness, I don't know), hehehe, the joke's on you. And the driver...was exceedingly happy that day. From the beginning to the end, he kept chuckling and making jokes. I think many of us feel something is wrong when something IS wrong. I didn't know what was wrong, but soon after the trip I had this weird thought in my mind - was he smuggling cocaine (after sniffling some)? Some reader from the US may say 'Well, duh', but in Europe things are a little different. When there's smuggling, everyone's usually on it - not a lot of freelancing around. 

'Fucking moron, dumbass, cretin, imbecile' are all adjectives we, the passengers, lovingly attributed to the driver. But was he an idiot for transporting the three kittens (given to him by 'an animal loving friend') or was he deterring policemen (and police dogs) from getting at the back? Stupid? I don't think so, he was laughing his ass off.

And I...tried to educate some people around me. I thought 'If I'd explain things to them, they'd get it and we'd all  do something good together'. How wrong I was! In thinking people don't know better (a.k.a. 'are stupid'), I was the only idiot of there. One person in my life drove me crazy, until I realized she wasn't dumb, just didn't want to accept the kind of reality I was looking at. I mean I can't pretend I don't see what I see. I suppose we all ignore some aspects of life - we're not invincible - but some people run from reality far and wide. Stupid? Nah, just weak and wanting protection, not the harsh reality and the obliteration of dreams (I'm *this* close to joining SI).

In any case, the proverbial fool is harder to spot than the Yeti. There have been more sightings of the Loch Ness monster. Sure, stories are using this trope and comedy inevitably has 'a dumb one'. But if you think someone is stupid, and laugh at him/her, you'd better take a look in the mirror. The one who doesn't understand things is you.

(P.S. This is how you kill laughter and create a gloomy world - show people the reality. And... be sure to take away their booze and drugs.)

Age is teaching you how to be empathic. That is one of the best things you can be in life... Life gets a little easier when you understand what motivates other people, and not just judge by your feelings...