Character Costume Contests

This is a contest to encourage people to build up their character's depth (to mix my metaphors).

Below are sets of Role Play Items each of which go together in a theme. 

Your job is to write an essay explaining why the items in a particular theme fit your own character.  (Alts okay, but specify which you are writing about).  One point for each valid point in your argument, and one point for each complementary RP Item you already have, and for each corresponding element in your Avy.

The number of prizes awarded for each theme will be square root of the number of serious submissions (FRD).  Top prize is - you get the collection of RP Items.

Contest ends theme by theme when I arbitrarily close down a given theme and award prizes for it.

#1 Wrangler has:

Cowboy Hat

Worn Boots

Used Rope

Bridle

Saddle

Stirrups

Knator Essence Aftershave

#2 Explorer

Unfinished Treasure Map

Cracked Barometer Broken Compass (Unless you'd rather....)

Pinhole Camera

Butterfly Net

Scarab Beetle Fossil

Fossilized Leaf

Fishing Pole

Fly Lure

#3 Undercover Detective

Unaddressed Ransom Note

Dead Man's Whisper

Bloody Veil

Bloody Handkerchief

Grassan Footprint

Children's Detective Set

Curly Wig

Fake White Beard

Fake mustache and nose

Edited by Fyrd Argentus
Adding more themes

• Fyrd Argentus changed the title to Character Costume Contests
On 2/10/2023 at 5:05 AM, Fyrd Argentus said:

#2 Explorer

Unfinished Treasure Map

Cracked Barometer Broken Compass (Unless you'd rather....)

Pinhole Camera

Butterfly Net

Scarab Beetle Fossil

Fossilized Leaf

Fishing Pole

Fly Lure

Theme: Explorer Archivist
Account: Kyphis

Spoiler

It is fascinating to me how a given collection of artefacts may to one person suggest a particular thing, yet when viewed by another a completely different interpretation presents itself. This, in itself, is one of the key reasons that presenting such things for review is such an admirable and commendable thing to do. Everyone has their own unique perspective, and while it may be true to say that some perspectives are more valid than others it is, assuming good faith, rarely appropriate to regard such a thing as incorrect.
Certainly, when someone authors a work they have a particular motivation in mind for what they intend to convey - but in the act of showing it to the public it invites personal interpretation beyond ones original intent. Should viewpoints different to the original authors be ignored as invalid? I say no, let them stand on their own merits. No two witnesses truly see the same events; no memory is ever a true account.
This catalogue of items has been presented as an example of the gear an explorer may possess, yet in my viewing it speaks to me not as an explorer, but an archivist. Yet, it would not be true to me to say that archivists, especially The Archivists, are not explorers. By preserving the past, we hold up a lens with which to measure the present and inform the future.
As per the prescribed task, I shall review the collected artefacts as catalogued.

Article K5471; an Unfinished Treasure Map.
This type of record is an invaluable source of information about the past. Whilst it would certainly be more informative had the author (or authors?) completed their account, the missing details don't diminish the value of this artefact. Indeed, the information which is missing or otherwise unable to be cross referenced carries its own value. The article forms a valuable footprint on history which requires active preservation and research.
Article Y4932; a Broken Compass.
Rather an unusual find not for it's rarity but rather it's lack thereof - what has caused the alarming regularity of instances of broken compasses? While the navigational applications of such a device are somewhat limited, as a data point in potential further investigations it is hard to understate its value. Yes, there may be many similarly broken compasses, but it is only through rigorous analysis that we can not only formulate the most plausible hypothesis, but also test those same theories and form valuable conclusions.
Article P2503; a Pinhole Camera.
Also known as a Camera Obscura, these often simple devices are none the less surprisingly useful in both artistic applications and historic reviews. Certainly more "reliable" results can be obtained through the application of magic, however it is important to recognize the elegance of this device and the contribution it has played in our understanding of how light and vision works. The actual practical applications of operating a camera obscura, albeit straightforward, do also have considerable merit for educating initiates in these fields as it provides a practical and repeatable example of how to manipulate light to project complex images; quite useful in allowing varied instruction of illusion magic.
Article H3069; a Butterfly Net.
Sometimes a devices more practicable application is the most relevant factor, and this appears the case in this instance. Although there is certainly an argument to be made for analysing the construction methodologies of such nets by region and desired specimen selection, I find it more suitable to submit my own artefact as evidence for the utility of this article - that being this book I possess of pressed butterfly wings. As can be seen, these specimens are incredibly delicate and must be handled as minimally as possible. Such a device as Article H3069 allows for minimal damage in the specimen collection stage, affording optimal conditions for preservation and future study.
Article I5833; a Scarab Beetle Fossil.
Although it is relatively common practice to make counterfeit fossils for study - and perfectly valid, if done correctly - having access to the authentic article is very useful for verifying hypothesises that a model cannot reliably answer. This said, while scarab fossils tend to be relatively common place it is always best to avoid potentially damaging examinations where possible. You can never be certain when a new development may open the door to alternative examinations that provide information which could only be theorized previously.
Article S4979; a Fossilized Leaf.
In contrast to Article I5833, fossilized leaves are always highly unique specimens. Although the instances of leaves fossilizing aren't, broadly speaking, rare, the rich diversity of historic floral means that it irregular to find a high number of similar fossils. This same diversity of specimen can also be demonstrated within the traits of an artefact I am currently reviewing, that being a petrified starfish. Comparison of the properties of the preserved specimen when cross referenced against previously identified potential modern descendants has help to magic principle alterations to the related environments, as well as provide improved insights into how the heat veins of the land once functioned.
Article E1161; a Fishing Pole.
Whilst the design of such relics can provide a lot of insight into the practices it was applied for - what environments it was used in, what targets were desired, how it was stored etcetera - this particular specimen has the added property of having actually been used during Legend Speaker solo operations. Although it doesn't appear to have been assigned to a particular individual, not uncommon for supplies provided to initiates, the emblem is clearly visible on the reel seat and, when compared to this fish skeleton that I have retained from my own time as a journeyman Legend Speaker, it can be seem that the hook was of substantively similar design, that being one that is designed to break under the right conditions. After all, fishing tales are almost always about the one that got away.
Article S2972; a Fly Lure.
This particular example is rather unusual as it is a Lorerootian design, but constructed using Golemus Golemicarum originating materials. I've actually had occasion to "study" Article S2972 and found it to be quite a functional device, more than capable of minimizing contamination of specimens that are potentially more attractive to flies otherwise. It has come especially handy in performing controlled pollination studies on floral specimens, as Article S2972 has helped limit the instance of undesired fly based pollination beyond the control group. As an added bonus, when tuned correctly the lure can also cause certain species of flies wings to detach without otherwise harming the fly, and this has resulted in my collecting jars of fly wings, which are a useful reagent in certain spells.

In summary, although I do see the argument that these articles are representative of an explorer, as previously stated from my personal perspective these would seem more suggestive of the personage of an Archivist, such as myself.

(Also I just wrote this as a lark; it is a serious entry but if I win I would like to donate my prize to the first entry that did not otherwise win a prize)