Roles, roleplaying ect.

Vaul

I have to give in that i'm quite lazy when it comes to roleplaying, but i think that a real role should be really deep...
i don't think that talking about rl sometimes is bad, there should be a mix of serious roleplaying and normal "getting-to-know-people" in chat as glai suggests. I don't think that it's really interesting in the long run to talk about the AL all the time, nor do i think that some shallow roleplaying like "hi, i'm the strong warrior, leave me alone or you'll die" is enough for this game.
I rather think that an elaborated role is like a real personality and can have bad days, can be really pissed off for any reasons, no matter whether in- or out-game, and can sometimes feel lonely, dizzy, ocified or any other emotional state you know^^

Only that mix can make a good role, and in that mix, some shallow chatting and maybe some rl issues can have a place :P

I have to say I find myself agreeing with Glaistig the games atmosphere has definitely changed since the festival. Most of the old hardcore power players left a long time ago (dst is not that old) but now I have noticed that even the softer varieties aren't around that much (whatever happened to SmartAlekRJ he is even an RPC). Maybe Manu would prefer it that way still when even social butterflies like Glastig leave you know things are changing and maybe not for the better.

It isn't all that surprising when you consider the combat system hasn't advanced much lately, not any new puzzles or places to explore (unless you have special access), game interface still pretty limited and when is chapter 3 going to come out?! I have been looking forward to what happens in the story for a year now. Still I can understand Manu is busy and has other things to do. I have been getting tried of the game lately and have been keeping myself busy by helping new players get into Loreroot and hopefully get adepts in the process :P

Also I have become a PWR though more because of my time in the game and the fact I built a very nice simple role around my avatar which mirrors how I act in the game rather then trying to create a role and then act it out. I too don't much care for the *doing this* trend in the game chat though I can understand why people would use it now, it is interesting what they write sometimes and does add I liveliness to the game. I myself don't use it sticking with talk and my new spells (I know not everyone has those) for now both because I'm not to keen on it and because I'm a rather slow and methodical thinker and even slower typer so I would never be able to keep up in chat typing up actions. Chat to me has always been about communication. Still like Glaistig I try to keep within the game scenario in a low key way.

I guess I haven't said all that much since I have mixed feelings about all of this. The game has gone from a simple adventure game to more of a true role playing with the player base reflecting that or at least adapting to it.

Sorry to see to see you go Glastig (since your my adept I know you haven't been active lately, was wondering why) and Lulu too, game won't be the same without you :D

[quote name='Vaul' post='17654' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:51 AM']My question is about the "roles". Obviously this involves creating a fictional identity for your account. My interest is how exactly does one manifest this identity ingame?

I myself have written a story about my character, Vaul, in form of the "comments on self" document. In accordance with this, I have chosen certain story options as well as magic principles that would coincide with my character, to that extent as it is possible given the game "limitations", or should I say "given oprions". I rarely get involved with a lot of chating on locations, but as I said, I'm very new to the game, I have no doubt that I will develop certain relationships with gamers over time...

But is a statement on one's identity (and progressing through the story and building up the stats in accordance with it) enough, or is the "playing" part crucial? By "playing" I mean mainly the chat, as I see little alternative for inter-player interaction, short of battle.[/quote]
This section of your post has been addressed numerous times, but I will recap: there are two basic methods of approach. One more or less disregards the "role" aspect of the game altogether; the other assumes the role in varying degrees of seriousness and skill. Neither is mandated by the game's system, though in recent weeks dedicated roleplayers have been rewarded for taking the latter approach.

[quote]I don't have to say how this chating is conducted, it involves the : : and the "blabla" in between, and I have found that most players have fun with this in ways that are hardly in accordance with any profile that could exist in the MD world, such as it is. For example: "hi everyone :sits down, has an ale:" ... "you'll pay for your treachery! :fries your head with lightning from eyes:"
The first one I can cooperate with, but the second one (which is clearly quite prevalent with a vast majority of players) is absurd, given the nature of the fictional world we're all in (lightning from one's eyes? I think not).[/quote]
You are hardly alone in feeling this way. I wrote a post in the Loreroot forums for the purposes of discussing what I consider to be constructive or noteworthy roleplay and why. I note that I have probably made few if any friends by expressing these views, not least because I criticized the popular "pub" in Wind's Sanctuary, and I have no illusions that I will increase my fan-base by mentioning it again here.

It is a long post, and I will summarize it for ease of discussion. In my view, successful roleplay in MagicDuel has four elements:
[list=1]
[*][b]Fun[/b] - Are you having fun? If not, to quote icanhascheezburger.com, UR DOOIN IT WRONG.
[*][b]Engagement[/b] - This is tricky for a lot of players, but it's something that any GM will enjoy, and Manu is no exception. Similarly, other experienced roleplayers will appreciate it, too. In MD, this has two subsidiary elements: mastery of the system and engagement with the setting. Learn the system: become a talented duelist and learn spells that work in the game engine rather than between asterisks. Engage the setting: don't overwrite it, but take inspiration from it. Learn the history of the setting. Get involved with the world. You've got a story? Great. Now show how you fit in. When people do silly things between asterisks, they're not engaging the setting, but being self-indulgent. There's a place for that, but otherwise it detracts from the atmosphere.
[*][b]Presence[/b] - Portray a character who really believes s/he is in this world. Limit your conversation to IC (in character) as much as you can stand it. If people need help or find you annoying, drop it - that's just common courtesy. Otherwise, BE in the setting, and you help to bring it to life.
[*][b]Imagination[/b] - This is really crucial, because it often goes waaaay out of control. If you're a superbeing who can do anything EXCEPT affect the game events around you, you simply seem insane. The key to imagination in presenting a character lies in restraining the imagination enough to present something compelling. She's a goddess, but she's lost her power. He's a werewolf, but he can't seem to find anything to eat, and he's never seen the moon here. She's greedy, but gold in this world seems to breed itself and vanish periodically into the void, so she has learned to hoard something of [b]real[/b][u][/u] value: information. And so on.
[/list]
[quote]I apologize for the length of my post, I rarely express myself in few words. But given all the things I have said here, is involving with this kind of chat crucial to roleplay in this game, and is the chat important AT ALL to that effect?[/quote]
If you are portraying a character with presence, it's absolutely essential. It takes patience sometimes to deal with the fact that so many people are being self-indulgent in chat, and discipline to chat IC in response to someone else's asterisk-mandated behavior.

[quote]I'll repeat my question: [b]Is the CHAT [u]absolutely necessary[/u] for acting one's role?[/b][/quote]
No; but it really helps. Without chat presence, you're an interesting cipher on the forum or a mysterious stranger. Such characters ARE playable, however.

[quote]The "old guard" have their stories, their jokes, they seem to know each other's whereabouts at all times (as every second question is "where is XX?", and every second answer is "he's over at the paper house", or something similar)[/quote]
You would do well to learn how they know this. It's important.

[quote]and I'm not going to repeat the quality of the "RP", which I think is very poor. But be that as it may - it is dominant, it is established, it is a system that new players must conform to, under threat of being ignored completely. Sure, you'll get an answer or to, a few reactions, if you're persistent with your comments - but if you don't play along with the current scene...you get the picture.[/quote]
Sort of. It is possible to play hard against the scene and make an impression. Do you have the guts, the determination? Is it fun? If not... what are you doing?

[quote]I myself really don't want to participate in the chat - such as it is. I will have fun, and communicate, but my RP is unfortunately quite unwelcome in the current "system" of chatting. What am I supposed to do then?[/quote]
This is where I tend to lose my patience and say nasty things. So I will simply repeat what others have said: find the players who play in a way that is acceptable to you. You will NOT find the bulk of them in the pandemonium of Wind's Sanctuary.

[quote name='Red Dragon Lady' post='17795' date='Oct 3 2008, 05:30 PM']As you can see I'm new here too and I have to agree with Vaul, it's very difficult to anticipate for a new player.
Would be great if the older players just invited new players in and tell them what's going on inthere, even if they have to tell it over and over again.
I also think they could help new players get a role in the story by asking them what they are doing here and where they come from, so they can get their own role in the game.

It took me a while to find out you could see their story in the papers, didn't know it wasn't there to attack or something, so tell new players where to look for it, it will help them to get into the game.[/quote]
Many people are impolite in the game and worse, unhelpful. It helps to have a very strong conception of your character and a determination to present it. If you don't, you will likely fall by the wayside.

If you do, you might well carve out part of the setting for yourself.

[quote name='Glaistig' post='17804' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:39 PM']First things first, [b]no asterisks or double-colons or anything used to denote actions you want others to visualize by themselves[/b], except in light play. You cannot depend on explanations to characterize your role. You must communicate your personality through your words, or else the only thing you imprint in the mind of the other is third-person narration. Also, it ruins the atmosphere and credibility because you're demanding a person to work on your part, making them imagine rather than establishing things yourself. Honestly, if you're a good roleplayer, you don't need to magically make things happen with asterisks.[/quote]
I understand why you feel that way, but setting-dissociated RP is also known as "weak" RP. I understand why it drives people away; I myself only play the game for the chance to interact with a very small number of other players.... but the quality of that interaction is superb. And I am among the snootier roleplayers you will ever meet. By the same token, though, there is no way to emote in MD chat, and I submit to you that there is a huge difference betweeen *sets Tassadar's tunic on fire with his eyes* and *bows to Tassadar in greeting*.

In summary, and in response to all three of you, it is incumbent upon the strong roleplayers to lead by example. The duality you posit, Glaistig, I have managed to circumvent. And yeah, I annoy the daylights out of some people in chat, but it's my right to present a full and plausible character who is deeply engaged in the setting and to filter all extraneous data through the prism of that character's point of view. To Lucius Tarquinus, the asteriskers are mad, which makes perfect sense in a world where everyone was kidnapped by a godlike being, but now everyone has a magic purse, no one can really die, no one seems to get hungry, and the only thing to smoke is nightshade.

Hi again, here's a little update... :D

For several days I relocated myself to the fenth's press sanctuary... It seems to be the place where more of the non-english speaking players tend to hang out, and chat is usually minimal. However from time to time there have been considerable chat concentrations, shall I say :P

In one such occurrence, one person, who is a seasoned player to say in the least, has come to the sanctuary to clearly sacrifice some of his creatures... During that time he has used the chat to do some roleplaying, in form of invoking the gods to accept his sacrifice. I have recognized this as an opportunity to do some roleplaying of my own, and I have decided to cut in on his little sacrifice ritual :) I proceeded to explain that it's just a machine and that it performs its function without any touch of the divine... During this, I have emphasized that I am in fact playing my role, and had hoped to squeeze out some cooperation from a player that has clearly put some effort into his own role... Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The player took only brief notice of my comments, and has explained that I have my own theory of the press, and that he has his. This was the last second he alone wasted on me, and has proceeded to talk with other old players who happened to be at the same place and talked about different beverages one might be able to buy in those "fictional pubs" that the old guard created seemingly for ALL the sanctuary areas, and in which only them seem to participate. And then they proceeded to ask each other where are the other players that are known to participate in this pub scene of theirs...

So as you can see, despite the best of my efforts, MD is a very very bad place for even trying to cut in on any form of roleplay that already exists in it, let alone starting a trend of your own. Sorry new players, you just do battle and walk the Earth, and do what you will, but play your roles you shall not :) signed: the old guard

--- Tarquinus: I enjoyed your post very much, and you have said many interesting things, but your argument is basically this (pardon me if I misunderstood) - "have fun. the system is there. if it's not fun for you, what are you doing here?". Again, excuse me if I turned your message into some kind of a radical variant, but one can't help escape get this kind of message :)

Also, you emphasize the depth of one's character, and that you alone have to immerse yourself into your role and this world and that that's the only thing you really have to worry about. I disagree completely.

I'm not sure if you read all the post since my initial question, but I have taken great pains to portray the very atmosphere of the MD world, one that not only makes it hard to play one's role, but is downright overwhelmingly inhibitive to even think about being absorbed into the "system" of RP

[quote name='Vaul' post='18012' date='Oct 7 2008, 07:36 AM']In one such occurrence, one person, who is a seasoned player to say in the least, has come to the sanctuary to clearly sacrifice some of his creatures... During that time he has used the chat to do some roleplaying, in form of invoking the gods to accept his sacrifice. I have recognized this as an opportunity to do some roleplaying of my own, and I have decided to cut in on his little sacrifice ritual :P I proceeded to explain that it's just a machine and that it performs its function without any touch of the divine... During this, I have emphasized that I am in fact playing my role, and had hoped to squeeze out some cooperation from a player that has clearly put some effort into his own role... Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The player took only brief notice of my comments, and has explained that I have my own theory of the press, and that he has his. This was the last second he alone wasted on me, and has proceeded to talk with other old players who happened to be at the same place and talked about different beverages one might be able to buy in those "fictional pubs" that the old guard created seemingly for ALL the sanctuary areas, and in which only them seem to participate. And then they proceeded to ask each other where are the other players that are known to participate in this pub scene of theirs...[/quote]
First, that's really depressing.

Second, it's not the old guard, but the midgard (pardon the pun). My entire problem with the pubs is that they introduce an element of mundanity that seems starkly out of place in the MD setting. In most cases, I do not indulge other players in their "drinking" any more than they indulge my character's contempt ("Why do you pretend to hold glasses and drink air?"). See also SoulTear's posts above and elsewhere.

[quote]So as you can see, despite the best of my efforts, MD is a very very bad place for even trying to cut in on any form of roleplay that already exists in it, let alone starting a trend of your own. Sorry new players, you just do battle and walk the Earth, and do what you will, but play your roles you shall not :D signed: the old guard[/quote]
I understand why you feel that way, but I hope, before you go, you will try to find players who take the effort to have presence and engage the setting: Khalazdad, BlackThorn, and Renavoid, just to name a few.

[quote]--- Tarquinus: I enjoyed your post very much, and you have said many interesting things, but your argument is basically this (pardon me if I misunderstood) - "have fun. the system is there. if it's not fun for you, what are you doing here?". Again, excuse me if I turned your message into some kind of a radical variant, but one can't help escape get this kind of message :)[/quote]
That is the essence of what I said. I agree that the majority of the playing community is cliquish and self-indulgent in the extreme, but I wanted you to hear that not everybody is happy about that. Some of us are comfortable being on the fringe, if we must, and if that is what it takes to care who Helen Wasp was (for example).

But SoulTear's character is a superb example of one who has achieved an astonishing level of power without really trying to RP in a way that the player doesn't enjoy.

[quote]Also, you emphasize the depth of one's character, and that you alone have to immerse yourself into your role and this world and that that's the only thing you really have to worry about. I disagree completely.

I'm not sure if you read all the post since my initial question, but I have taken great pains to portray the very atmosphere of the MD world, one that not only makes it hard to play one's role, but is downright overwhelmingly inhibitive to even think about being absorbed into the "system" of RP[/quote]
Don't conflate the system and the setting. They do not in all ways complement each other.

The setting doesn't make it hard to play your role; the player community does. It is a cavil, but it is still a distinction... and if you look for players who want to engage you, you will find them. Don't assume an MP6 is a good roleplayer or an MP3 is a bad one; if you stay with the game, keep an eye out for characters who have something to say about the parts of the game that interest you. You might be surprised to find that there are more than you think.

I have to agree with Tarqunis quite a bit. And he benefits from not responding at a time when Sleep will not come and is dreading the Onset of the next Tired day...

Try to find Khalazdad, he's one of the better Role players in the game, and one I wish many more would take example of. There is far too many who simply get involved with the idea of "*'s denote actions, and I use them for RP"

Denoting Action like that should only be done to Enrich the scene being created, or to note something special. And it should always be reasonable and feasible.

The festival gave the ingame RP an almost overwhelming sense of Carnivalism, and one that will likely stay for some time. This is unfortunate and means that you will just have to roll with some punches on this...

There are many people who stive very hard to play a Role, and play it well. I made a dedicated effort for sometime, and sometime during the Festival lost interest. Fortunately I've just gotten involved with Battling and idle chatter for the time being, which suits me well for now as I'm rather Busy in RL, and prefer to use MD to unwind a bit. Still I'm an RPC and when approached regarding my Role I make the effort to play that Role as best as I can (sometimes much to the dismay of those I speak to...)

The fact that some like to play Roles in a totally fanciful way just shows that they are missing some of the deeper elements of this game, and those that try to RP at this deeper level are affected in many ways, mostly Presently.

Perhaps in time the finished game might provide a more serious atmosphere to the game concept, which might prove a positive influence on the RP wannabes :P

Perhaps not... :P

Obviously, if one wants to do some serious RP* right NOW, the first step should be identification of similarly minded players. Perhaps a new forum category...? Opinions?

*by serious RP I mean making elaborate character stories and modifying them "by the MD book" - for example, there can be no mages because there is yet no magic, etc... (open for discussion)

I'd like to voice my own opinions about some of the things said here.

First of all, there's the whole "filter everything through the character's perception" thing.
As much as that is admirable, from a role play point of view, I have to disagree with it.
I'm not sure how committed to this you are, Tarquinus, but if a person asks you how to attack other players, and your answer is "concentrate, and your creatures will appear before you and attack", because that's how your characters sees it, then you are doing that (probably new) player an even bigger disservice then the mad asterisk wavers you are so derisive of.

Second, since we have come to the topic of asterisk-waving, I am of an opinion similar to Tarquinus'.
asterisks do make it incredibly easy to godmode (*launching a lightning bolt that fries you* and such), but they are also necessary for deeper role playing.
In real life, the words we say are only one part of the means we use to communicate.
The same words, used in a different tone and accompanied with different facial expressions and hand gestures, can have vastly different meanings.
If I say "good luck" with a nasty grin, then I'm saying an entirely different things then if I said the same words while shaking your hand solemnly, or raising an (even imaginary) wineglass cheerfully in your direction.
In chat, the only thing we have to convey that sort of thing is emoting. and since emoting is only weakly supported by the game engine, we use the asterisks, or whatever else the person who does it likes to use.

You make a good point. Perhaps you would like to address the question of balance? Let's imagine a compromise between you and tarquinus, is the balance of the RP styles important? I thing that the asterisks are overwhelmingly dominant, to such an extent that it decreases the quality of the gaming atmosphere (for some, and seemingly more and more, players)

Balance is something that we [b]must[/b] maintain.
That's one of the things I was trying to say in my earlier post.
If I'm playing a character, then I should be speaking with the character's voice.
But my character's voice is worse then useless if I'm trying to help new players to understand the game. I've never gotten into the habit of using special markers for out of character talking, like some people do. I tend to shift back and forth whenever needed, and there were a few times when I found myself having 3 or 4 simultaneous conversations, 1 of them in character and the others out.

What I'm saying is that there is a place for out of character talking, and that we have to balance that against the need to remain in character.

The issue is even more important when it comes to asterisk-waving (I wonder. If I ever do become an LHO, will I be waving my asterisks around all the time? never mind. that's just me being silly).
Anyway, people have already made the distinction between "good" asterisk-waving and "bad".
and while I'm sure that there are people who disagree with that, in both directions, I'm going to go with that basic assumption.
For the purpose of this discussion, I'll split emoting to 3 categories.
the first is godmodding.
This is clearly in the realm of "bad" emoting, and shouldn't be used at all that is not to say that a character base on the ability to use lightning magic should never emote a lightning.
There is a place for magic wielding characters, and to play that character properly a person would have to use his powers.
he shouldn't, however, use it all the time to do anything he wants.

This brings us to the next category, which is the "action" emoting.
My character carries a pipe. he smokes that pipe. this isn't essential to the character, but it does bear mentioning. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but our characters are not standing in front of each other doing nothing and talking emotionlessly. they move around, they sit down, they gesture with their hands and with whatever is held in their hands, etc.

The last category is the "detail" emoting, which I mentioned in the earlier post.
This category is the emoted used to add details to the conversation, to differentiate tones, etc.
This, to me, is the one category that is really needed for good role play.

However, even the "good" emoting (acceptable actions and detail emoting), should never be allowed to get out of hand, because too much emoting makes people drown in the details and lose the conversation.

I agree completely with you, on all accounts.

But I think you'll agree with me that all that is subject only to individual control of the players. It's hard to imagine a RP authority that polices the chat-sites... :P

We should agree on the matter, produce a program and advertise it. Dare I call it a "movement"? :D

Unlikely, however... :P

Hmmm...are you people crazy? Learning how to act? In this game? No way! You even do it or you don't. It's not something that you can lean. You either can do it or not. It's something that has to come from the player. If you don't like to act you'll never be a good player. If you like you'll find your own way of acting. This is what makes acting special:everyone does it in his/her own way. The more interesting the better.

I have to agree with dst, Role playing cannot be "taught".

However it would be helpful to suggests ideas similar to whats been discussed here, Good RP vs Bad RP.

You really cannot say "This is how you Play a character..." or "To show you are doing some thing type...." that just doesn't work, and would also take originality in RP out.

However discussing Avoiding Overuse of Action/Emoticon text, when to stay in character and when to fall out, and using the game as a basis, are all things that could be discussed. I think that is a point for the "classes" it shouldn't be one person telling everyone what to do, but a Discussion with people asking questions.

Also I find that most times people Understand that you have to break character a little to answer Mechanics and Interface questions. When explaining how to view the Inner Spell Documents I often say something along the lines of "Refresh your awareness of the Realm, then you should look near the Adventure Log for the Spell Page" and that is as far as I'm willing to go to RP something like that (generally people understand, but I still often get, "Refresh my Awareness?" as a response).

[quote name='Tremir' post='18128' date='Oct 9 2008, 07:25 AM']First of all, there's the whole "filter everything through the character's perception" thing.
As much as that is admirable, from a role play point of view, I have to disagree with it.
I'm not sure how committed to this you are, Tarquinus, but if a person asks you how to attack other players, and your answer is "concentrate, and your creatures will appear before you and attack", because that's how your characters sees it, then you are doing that (probably new) player an even bigger disservice then the mad asterisk wavers you are so derisive of.[/quote]
I did not make that clear, and I apologize - staying "in character all the time" [b][u]must[/u][/b] (for me) follow the bounds of courtesy and common sense. When someone is asking me for "meta" advice, eg how the system works, how to heal creatures, etc., I speak plainly. Lucius Tarquinus can sometimes be seen hanging around the n00b zone offering advice and encouragement. I, Sebastian, the player, am speaking there, not Lucius. I, Sebastian, want people to enjoy this game as much as possible, because I love it so very much and want it to succeed. Whenever someone in need of advice stumbles across Lucius Tarquinus and his "apprentice" Penelope LightMoon, s/he will find that we are prepared to drop our roles immediately to answer questions plainly and be as helpful as we can, even if we are neck-deep in "serious" dramatic roleplay. A thoughtful and considerate player should understand how to prioritize. As humorous as your example is, it is not something I would ever say, even though that is almost precisely how Lucius perceives the in-game "reality".

Similarly, I will drop my role if I find it is causing distress to other players. I take no joy from being obnoxious for the sake of obnoxiousness; rather, I try to provide an example of someone deeply in character reacting to the "game reality". I am no genius, but I am no idiot either, and I can tell when my role is getting in the way of communication in a harmful way. I try not to do that. Courtesy, common sense, and similar principles advance the fun of other players - and as you can see, I think fun ought to be the point of any game! ;)

Hello all,

Please allow me to write down my thoughts in respect with the matter in hand.

From where I stand, all the above posts contain segments of truth, but they also contain some minor points of exaggeration, too. It all begun when dear Vaul complained about the dominant atmosphere of the MD, which she believes is moulded by the older players; that is true, and it is also true that said atmosphere may sometimes seem overwhelming or at least strange for a fresh player - and for a somewhat older one, too: I am an MP4 and still unaccustomed to the pandemonium in Wind's Sanctuary, in which I never participate due to the very same reasons that make many others not to participate, either. So, yes, that particular atmosphere can sometimes be annoying, as many people have already stated in the present thread, but at the same time it can be interesting as a way of expression between likeminded people. Let us just say that these people have found their place to express themselves this way. I accept that. I can live with that. I do not think that it does the slightest damage to the game or role-playing in general. It just does not suit me – at this point of my presence in the game, at least. After all, it is only natural that older community members shape such community's customs and habits. It is like school, like college, like any work place we have ever found ourselves in. The old leaves its mark. The new must find its way. If it's stronger than the old, if the community embraces it, the old dies. Simple as that.

And the map is big, as we all know. Personally, I have found my place: I spend much time in the Marind Bell Dojo which I think is perhaps the most pleasant spot on the map (especially if we pretend that the various regular offenders are not there). I duel and chat in the Dojo, and help others whenever I can; sometimes I shout in Capitals to the offenders, and sometimes I swear because I am a noble with a hot Mediterranean temper and I can't really help it. I like the Dojo and maybe the Dojo likes me too, since I always meet interesting people there. I have made friends there. This is my place. Let others have theirs.

[b]Point one:[/b] The map has a place for all. Let us all find ours, where we can express ourselves, and allow others to find theirs.

[b]Point two:[/b] Let us accept the pluralism and welcome it as a fundamental element of the MD. After all, a browser game is not that different than the real world. It is not the real world of course, as anyone could argue, but the people who participate are 'real people' and they cannot undress their personalities just because they log in. Plus, if we (the people) could be the ideal beings some of us dream of, it is highly probable that none of us would play online role-playing games since our lives would be much happier in the real, happier, ideal world, with our 'real' personalities.

[b]Point three: [/b]New people register all the time. Being a fresh player myself, I acknowledge the fact that others have been here long before me and inevitably made the rules I am now following. Perhaps it would be better if we all tried to integrate ourselves, in our way, up to the point where integrating doesn't become a burden. And always keep in mind what the greater benefit is if there is any. Consider this: Would any of us quit college if we disagreed with the tradition of societies and fraternities that others have established before us? Probably not. We would just distance ourselves from said tradition. And if the price to pay was our social differentiation, we would think that our Bachelor would greatly outweigh it.

Another grand issue in the present thread has to do with the notion of quality role-playing. Personally, I disagree with the idea that role-playing can be identified as 'good' or 'bad', since I cannot disconnect role-playing from the human personality behind it. I used to act when I was younger, and even played in a couple of films, and what I most certainly know is that [b]there is [/b]such thing as 'roles that suit/don't suit the actor'. The best performances are usually achieved when the role relates to the actor's qualities, because in this case the actor can delve into their own personal resources and find the elements to dress their role with. And, usually, script writers and directors search for the actors who share similar qualities with the role they are called to play. If this constitutes the common practice in the professional 'role-playing' world (call for similarities between the actor's nature and the role's traits), I really cannot see why we should deny the same privilege to the participants of a browser game. Especially if we keep in mind that, when it comes to a game, there are no external forces to confine the players in any pre-determined kind of 'role-playing' (like in the theatre or the cinema); on the contrary, people are free to choose their part, and in this case it goes without saying that the connection between the actual character and the role will be even deeper, to the point that they will become one.

What I am trying to say is that in a free 'role-playing' environment, like the MD, personalities make the roles and subsequently the type of role-playing. Some role-play like this, others like that, always according to their true nature. It is only inevitable. And all of us do just that, no matter whether we realize it or not. The real issue here in my opinion has to do with a) our tolerance towards pluralism, as I already stated above, and b ) the ability one may or may not have to role-play in the first place. Just like acting: some can act, others can't. Most of the times acting can't be taught from scratch; it can only be cultivated and evolved because one either have the talent or not. And, yes, I agree with the person who said in this thread that role-playing, like another form of acting, cannot be taught. I would also add that role-playing cannot be confined in any etiquette, either, for the sake of those who cannot role-play. It is like saying that acting should be transformed in order to facilitate those who would like to act, but unfortunately are not made for it. Or, and this is even worse in my opinion, that other people who [b]do not [/b]actually harm us should change what they are because we cannot cope with it.

Furthermore, one may be able to role-play, but one would like another part for themselves. Could this be possible? I think not, following my own arguments regarding the connection between the nature of the player and the role itself. We all may desire the shiny first part, but not all could have it, mostly because they are not made for it. And why should they? Sometimes, the 'quieter' roles turn out to be the most influential ones and, anyway, they too have their position in the wider script. There are the flamboyant types who make all the amusing fuss in the chats and elsewhere, and there are all the elegant, sophisticated characters that 'whisper instead of shouting' and traverse the map in style. I judge not; I like them all (OK, not ALL, but the vast majority of both kinds). So, really, what is all the discord about?

And a final comment. Dear Vaul wrote:

[quote name='Vaul' post='18012' date='Oct 7 2008, 03:36 PM']Hi again, here's a little update... :)

For several days I relocated myself to the fenth's press sanctuary... It seems to be the place where more of the non-english speaking players tend to hang out, and chat is usually minimal. However from time to time there have been considerable chat concentrations, shall I say ;)

In one such occurrence, one person, who is a seasoned player to say in the least, has come to the sanctuary to clearly sacrifice some of his creatures... During that time he has used the chat to do some roleplaying, in form of invoking the gods to accept his sacrifice. I have recognized this as an opportunity to do some roleplaying of my own, and I have decided to cut in on his little sacrifice ritual :) I proceeded to explain that it's just a machine and that it performs its function without any touch of the divine... During this, I have emphasized that I am in fact playing my role, and had hoped to squeeze out some cooperation from a player that has clearly put some effort into his own role... Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The player took only brief notice of my comments, and has explained that I have my own theory of the press, and that he has his. This was the last second he alone wasted on me, and has proceeded to talk with other old players who happened to be at the same place and talked about different beverages one might be able to buy in those "fictional pubs" that the old guard created seemingly for ALL the sanctuary areas, and in which only them seem to participate. And then they proceeded to ask each other where are the other players that are known to participate in this pub scene of theirs...

So as you can see, [b]despite the best of my efforts[/b], MD is a very very bad place for even trying to cut in on any form of roleplay that already exists in it, let alone starting a trend of your own. Sorry new players, you just do battle and walk the Earth, and do what you will, but play your roles you shall not :) signed: the old guard[/quote]

Dear Vaul, please do not take this the wrong way, but I dare say that a single comment in the chat is not what I would call [i][b]'the best of my efforts'[/b], [/i]especially when the chat is crammed with old acquaintances who start chatting between them (I do not see why this is either strange or sad). Why not introduce yourself, why not try again with another comment, or a question, or something? And what is most important, why try to familiarize yourself with the game the hard way? If you find it hard to interact with older players, why not let them aside for the time being and start looking for your peers? If the older community members seem a little distant (which is not always the case), why not start building your network with fresh players like yourself? And why push it? Give it time. Socializing is a slow process.

Thank you all. If you have taken the pain to stay this long, you are really patient readers!

Lady Isolda

Actually I wrote ".[i]..The player took only brief notice of my [b]comments[/b]...[/i]", and you wrote [i]"...but I dare say that a [u]single[/u] [b]comment[/b] in the chat..."[/i].

Singular/plural. You can easily get confused ;)

[quote name='Vaul' post='18178' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:55 AM']Actually I wrote ".[i]..The player took only brief notice of my [b]comments[/b]...[/i]", and you wrote [i]"...but I dare say that a [u]single[/u] [b]comment[/b] in the chat..."[/i].

Singular/plural. You can easily get confused ;)[/quote]

I dare say that it is not me who gets confused neither by numbers or by anything else, but I shall gladly correct it to a [b]single [/b][b]effort[/b], 'single' being used in a broader sense (i.e., limited).

I insist, dear Vaul: If you like the game, give it some time. You'll find both your way and comrades (100,000 registered accounts, and counting).

All the best,

Lady Isolda