The Grizzled Archer

This place is too quiet.

Thus, I bring you this tale.

Loreroot has long fascinated me. The beings that can be found there reflect the nature of Loreroot itself - they are lively and fecund, full of vitality, and yet they grow up in place full of food and water and comfort.

I know a thing they do not know in Loreroot:

I know the ways of the Desert. In the Sands, we do not have an excess of of water and food to make us strong; we do not have shelter to teach us to guard ourselves; we do not have safety at any moment to teach us to be good people. We have only danger and privation and one another.

Thus we are deadly.

What I wondered was whether I could apply the principles of desert training to the most underused of the Lorerootian assets, the Lorerootian Archer, and perhaps bring it up to the standards of strength and discipline needed to compete at high levels.

Hardship breeds the strength to weather it. The King who will conquer first subjugates his people to breed in them the strength they will need to subjugate others. A soldier must come from a savage place where he fights for his life every moment.

Thus, I gathered to me a troupe of these archers and raised them under my hand, raised them in the harsh sun and shifting sands of Necrovion, raised them in danger and peril with never a moment's surcease.

Mostly they could nto survive the harshness of the conditions to which they were subjected. I took their water and put it in my own cistern. But a few survived. A few grew beyond the limits imposed on them by beneficient conditions. These ones, they learned to withstand the sun and the punishing wind. They learned to be AS the wind, shifting and formless.

They learned desert power: mobility is the key to victory. Do not adopt a seige mentality. Have no home, no base, no fortress, no position to attack. Be as the sands, shifting and dangerous and corrosive.

The three that were left I made to battle each other, until only the greatest of them had survived. He was not the strongest, by no means - but strength is not everything. He was the one who was as the wind. And he is the one I will replicate.

Those others that did not survive... they too will have their uses. But that is a tale for another time.

Here: look upon what your Lorerootian Archer has become in my service. Look upon the Grizzled Archer.

[attachment=822:grizzled_archer.jpg]

Lorerootian Archer Grizzled Archer
Vital Energy 2300 Vital Energy 1800
Attack 160 Attack 200
Defence 15 Defense 10
Initiative 4 Initiative 20
Special: immune to
lifesteal

Your Idea has Merit, Khalazdad. Perhaps our creatures are too complacent and comfortable in their own surroundings. Is that 1st Level or Max Grizzled Archer? What are its stats when you sacrifice it? Those will be questions most asked I believe.
I await and will see what the rest of the High Council says. It will be interesting to see Mur's reaction as well.

Your method reminds me of the method I developed for Eden a long time ago, just before his disappearance. The different thing is that we trained them at the cruelty of the Wild Woods instead of the harshness of the desert. The humble loreroot scout has many potential indeed, and your method seems able to bring out his potential. I look forward to seeing the future of this archer.

• 1 month later...

How can an old dude be so powerfull ... I forgot my counting on how many old people I used to "KILL" when I was but just a small brat .... I was going "- BOO! "behind theyr backs and they would go "AAAHHH my heart" ... drop dead ... upsy ... sry gramps

[quote name='Khalazdad' post='26742' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:11 PM']...
Here: look upon what your Lorerootian Archer has become in my service. Look upon the Grizzled Archer.
Lorerootian Archer Grizzled Archer
Vital Energy 2300 Vital Energy 1800
Attack 160 Attack 200
Defence 15 Defense 10
Initiative 4 Initiative 20
Special: immune to
lifesteal[/quote]

hei, I love this special :P it will be perfect for me :P

imagine an archer with 100k ve on it and you are not able to steal it from him :)

I definatly love it :)

yeah, no one named the problem.

tweak: resistant to life steal. it could:
- reduce the % cap for steal life on this creature (from 20% to 10%) [i]and/or[/i]
- require a x times higher power stat to cause the normal effect (example: instead of 1 power = 1 % life steal, 10 power = 1% life steal) [i]and/or[/i]
- add energetic immunity as a def-stat against power to calculate the efficiency of steal life.

Edited by Nex

• 2 months later...

curious, taking those who dwell within the forest, exposing them to a new environment... plucking out those who lack the strength or genetic proficiency to survive, and become apart of the desert.

Fascinating.