Opinions please...

Simple yes or no  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='awiiya' post='30378' date='May 5 2009, 06:08 PM']Here is my opinion on silver:

For now, it should be absolutely useless, but isn't. However, that could change very quickly.

Economies work like this: There is a valued commodity, one that people want. In order to trade this commodity, they use a representation of wealth, something that can eventually be turned in for money. Using a RL example, for the first centuries of paper money, it was ALWAYS backed by gold or silver, so that if someone wanted, they could trade in their paper money at any time and get equal value in gold. Nowadays that is not true, and I think because of it our economy could collapse at any moment, but that's a conversation for another time.

The problem with MD's economy in my opinion, and the reason that silver prices will fluctuate, is that there is no backing to the Silver. Their value is purely symbolic, and as a result... their worth is determined by the population. If we as a group decide silver is worthless, it will be worthless.

A solution you ask? Just something interesting to think about, what if you could trade silver back for credits? This is interesting because then you could pay just one MD credit instead of the gift of 5 or 20 all at once. This would back the silver, and then silver would ALWAYS be worth 1 MD credit.

Of course, I doubt this will happen, because Mur is probably curious to see how we treat silver, and how we value something that is only purely symbolic, which to be honest, I am curious about as well.

Awi[/quote]

After reading this I'd really like to know what the community thinks. I honestly think its a GREAT idea

and would think it would definitely HELP the economy that we are trying to build here on MD. What do

you all think?

- Gauge

[quote name='SageWoman' post='30385' date='May 5 2009, 07:00 PM']Your theory is interesting. How much would the Gold Coins be then to your thinking? I have only one so far.[/quote]

Honestly Sage right now it's not even about what the coins would be WORTH, only that the IDEA is

sound. That's what really matters at this point, the rest is just details. And when it comes to details I

think Mur would be the one who needs to work that out. For now let's just let him know that the

community as a whole (or very close) thinks it would be a good idea.

- Gauge

you post a loaded question for your poll especially when no one wants to agree on how much a silver is worth

some say 50 cents some say a buck during the auction i treated the silver as if it was worth 2 bucks or credits

so honestly everyone or almost everyone will vote yes for this and you knew they would when you posted it ...

so lets see where this goes and sage thing about is this way you can get what 40+ silvers per reset and only 5 golds and most wont get them often because most don't do resets much honestly with silvers already in the game too that makes the gold worth even more

this will all depend on trade ans how it goes

this is my 2c
Kragel
The Metal Mage

[quote name='Kragel' post='30387' date='May 5 2009, 07:06 PM']you post a loaded question for your poll especially when no one wants to agree on how much a silver is worth

some say 50 cents some say a buck during the auction i treated the silver as if it was worth 2 bucks or credits

so honestly everyone or almost everyone will vote yes for this and you knew they would when you posted it ...

so lets see where this goes and sage thing about is this way you can get what 40+ silvers per reset and only 5 golds and most wont get them often because most don't do resets much honestly with silvers already in the game too that makes the gold worth even more

this will all depend on trade ans how it goes

this is my 2c
Kragel
The Metal Mage[/quote]

Kragel, I'll reiterate for you. It doesn't really matter if people think the silver is worth different things,

because right now (and this is part of the problem) we don't have a backing for that silver, as awiiya so

eloquently put it. If everyone thinks its a good idea, and Mur DOES decide to implement this, then he

will be able to set a price for the silver, whether it be one dollar, half a dollar, or whatever, then we will

know what each silver peice will be worth. And that can only stimulate this economy we are trying to

build.

P.S. And if you were really marking one silver equal to two dollars, then you were charging an insanse

amount. Heck you had a max joker going for 25 silver (ie: 50 dollars) Be glad noone else thought along

those same lines, or else the auction prolly wouldnt have worked as well. But, thats neither here nor

there.

- Gauge

That would be the point, actually, Fenrir. It allows people to buy MD Shop items without actually paying for credits.

That's not to say that MD doesn't get money. Whatever you buy from the MD Shop is payed for when a player buys silver, and then is cashed in when the person gives the silver back.

So it works like this:

You buy one silver coin for 1 credit. You can take that silver and get 1 credit back. Has your balance changed? No. There is no way for you to buy silver, then turn it back in, and somehow gain 1 dollar.

A problem I foresee: abuse with multiple accounts, and I mean this seriously. That's not to say that it isn't already done... but if you have 10 alts, you could gain 2 credits a day (10 days for 2 credits via free credits x 10=20 credits in 10 days=2 credits a day). So, you would need to make giving silver difficult. Perhaps an age requirement of 100 days to give silver at all, or some honor or AP cost, or you can't do it all the time, or something similar to that.

Awi

woudln't that cause a problem with the items that give a silver coin?
like, newbie trades a coin he got for a buck, and then buys the valueable orb, the toxic potion or some of those things that ive minor-stat-boosts and a coin right now...

all he'd need is one silver coin/10 days of free-crediting to gather all those items :/

so you'd have to disable gettign coins for those who trade in coins for creds, wouldn't you?

If you pay one dollar for one credit for one silver coin, which comes sort of as a freebie to something you buy in the shop....and then...you can re-upload that silver for a credit (which is worth one dollar) to buy something in the shop...It seems counter intuitive to me - and it's for this reason I belive that the value of the silver coin actually does have an impact here- as Kragel says.

I don't like the idea, not just for the reason of money spent, value, and all that, but in the main also because this is going to make people want to "cash in" their silver coins rather than use them as an in game currency for in game things. It becomes more like a way to give out free credits to people than a way for people to use an in game currency for in game items etc.

Z

i will tell you what will happen, if coins are exchangeable for creds, alt owners will get more motivated to win hc spend creds on coins, give them to main and huh they have credits :) and mur disabled credits transfer just becoz of that, also another problem is that silver will be exchanged for credits, nobody would keep silver/gold, everybody will exchange it for credits resulting in credits inflation which already exists and you wont have money to trade with, you will get back to item/creat for item/creat trade

[quote name='(Zl-eye-f)-nea' post='30431' date='May 6 2009, 05:59 AM']I belive that the value of the silver coin actually does have an impact here- as Kragel says.

I don't like the idea, not just for the reason of money spent, value, and all that, but in the main also because this is going to make people want to "cash in" their silver coins rather than use them as an in game currency for in game things. It becomes more like a way to give out free credits to people than a way for people to use an in game currency for in game items etc.

Z[/quote]

I agree, MDS should be use only inside the game, that way their value and legitimacy as a regular currency will be in our hands. I believe that will be far more fun and interesting.

K

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

and if we could change MDS into credits that would increase the value of the coins, and you would be getting money back after buying something from the shop for the coin, and it would also decrease the amount of money the shop brings in, and make it harder to get ahold of a coin.

• 2 months later...