Looking for someone to take me under their wing

Harion

i have been playing MD for a month now
i found the game on my own through some link while i was searching for browser games
hence i'm not an adept of anybody
i'm already an MP4 and almost ready to break to MP5
and i just think if someone can really give me great training
then i'll be willing to be their adept

anyone willing to be my teacher, guide, mentor?

state your qualifications
benefits you can give me
strength and role in MD

also, i am interested in being an adept of someone with a very interesting role
and if that role happens to run along the line of what i like
i may decide on that
but i'll also favor heavily someone who knows a lot about fighting
i'm really lost on this aspect of MD
and i just blunder into my wins and losses by chance

post here or pm me

Greetings Harion,

While I am not yet comfortable taking on adepts full-time, I would be more than willing to help you with any questions you have. I am by no means an expert, but I have fought many battles, and likely have answers to many questions and can offer good advice. Helping others, in any area, is something that I enjoy doing.

Since I am not aiming to become your official mentor, I will not stat my qualifications, but you are more than welcome to ask around about me to see what other people think.

Regards,

Willem

[quote name='Willem RedBeard' post='31506' date='May 19 2009, 11:13 AM']Since I am not aiming to become your official mentor, I will not stat my qualifications, but you are more than welcome to ask around about me to see what other people think.[/quote]

Oh oh! I know the answer! Willem is Ticklish! Super Ticklish!!! but he doesn't play fair when it comes to tickle wars.

But.. on topic... I think Will's a pretty nifty person... he does well with the battles and such, and has helped many others...

Just playing the devil's advocate: Why should someone take you under his/her wing especially when you ask for this :
"state your qualifications
benefits you can give me
strength and role in MD"

Shouldn't be the other way around?

Who does it help if he becomes someone's adept? The person who he becomes the adept of. The adept only gains if he takes on a useful master. A master doesn't need qualifications to take an adept, and if you do, don't take him. If you're insulted by the idea of him asking for your qualifications, don't take him.Certainly plenty of people will be interested.

Of course if you've been playing a month you should have some idea of who you want to be your master...

Insulted? I can't care less :P. I am not going to take anyone under my "wings" unless that someone is an extraordinary person (in which case he/she will not need me).
I was asking cause from my point of view it's not the right approach.

Having an adept is different than training one. A single adept on your counter is rather worthless, but the time you spend training one is much more valuable. I don't mean someone who just asks you basic questions and goes on their way, I mean someone you really invest time in.

i say master needs to be someone who knows stuff, if master doesnt knows stuff how will he teach his adept, also on other side of coin, adept needs to be active, same timezone as master, and most important of all he needs his will for learning, exploring, experimenting, also most important of all adpet has to be fast learner

[quote name='Liberty4life' post='31662' date='May 20 2009, 04:35 AM']i say master needs to be someone who knows stuff, if master doesnt knows stuff how will he teach his adept, also on other side of coin, adept needs to be active, same timezone as master, and most important of all he needs his will for learning, exploring, experimenting, also most important of all adpet has to be fast learner[/quote]
actually just same sleep pattern as master cause my sleep pattern doesnt quite fit with my timezone...

[quote name='dst' post='31624' date='May 20 2009, 01:12 PM']Just playing the devil's advocate: Why should someone take you under his/her wing especially when you ask for this :
"state your qualifications
benefits you can give me
strength and role in MD"

Shouldn't be the other way around?[/quote]
it would be the other way around if:
you're a highly sought-after mentor
and you only take one student at a time

then, and only then does the mentor have the right to ask those questions

the way i see it, allowing myself to be an adept of another player in MD
only benefits that player (because for sure he or she will get that extra credits since i am ready to break MP5 anyway)
if i will not learn anything useful beyond what i already have learned by myself in MD from that player
then why the hell would i give those $15 worth of credits to someone who totally doesn't deserve it?

any reasonable student scouts potential schools before they enroll in them
no different from what i am doing here

if you'll have no use aside from being a wallpaper mentor
then, thanks but no thanks, you can stick that snobby mentorship of yours up your...

if you're going to be my teacher
i really need to know you can teach me
otherwise you're just after the free credits i can give

if you're looking for someone worthy to be your students
test them and not ask for their qualifications

@willem, someone who already approached me to be their adept mentioned you as a possible mentor when i asked him if he could recommend someone other than himself.
@jester, i haven't yet decided if i'll be violent and crazy
@intrigue, thanks - we already talked via pm didn't we?

You sure it works that way? 15 credits to whoevers adept you are and not to whoever referred you? Because that would be kinda wrong, imagen you referring someone, that person getting more benefits off becoming someone else's adept and then changing.

oh i misread that yes, it's $15 to the referrer
idk abt adepts then
referral system kind of sucks

i must've referred more than 15 players already to this website
(and they all registered)
but only 2 used my referral link
most just opted to ignore my referral link and register completely fresh
someone even told me they just did it because they're evil and don't want me to get the credit for referring them

back to benefits from getting adepts
still, even without the free credits
adepts still give higher regen per ap

so by and by, the mentor still gets more advantage than the student
so the only way a student can benefit is if the mentor is actually an effective teacher

besides, i have received enough offers to become an adept
offers that are obviously just selfish offers
one even asking me to register a new account and get it to be an adept of his alt
others camp the paper cabin and use their LHO status to farm adepts
i can see a mile away offers which are obviously just ploys to benefit selfishly
and not really an offer to teach

so again - i am not insulting anyone when i ask for qualifications
or when i ask: what can you teach me?

i am really serious when i am saying: i need a teacher
but i need someone that will really do that job
and not just be after me like some meat to be discarded after having been sucked dry

so do you still think it should be the other way around?

you totally and completely failed to see what adepts are good for XD

when a player wants to go for mp6, they need 40 adepts, that's the one big use we make of adepts...
that regen thingy is worthless, as we don't regen our creatures per hand at any time, we just let them fight til they are back on full vit LOL

so, if you search for a teacher, search for a teacher, but there's no point in becoming that persons adept at all, in fact your teacher will most likely tell you to help an mp6 in spe :lol:

[quote name='Burns' post='31807' date='May 21 2009, 11:04 PM']you totally and completely failed to see what adepts are good for XD

when a player wants to go for mp6, they need 40 adepts, that's the one big use we make of adepts...
that regen thingy is worthless, as we don't regen our creatures per hand at any time, we just let them fight til they are back on full vit LOL

so, if you search for a teacher, search for a teacher, but there's no point in becoming that persons adept at all, in fact your teacher will most likely tell you to help an mp6 in spe :lol:[/quote]
thanks
that's one more thing you made more obvious
that i really need a teacher if i don't even know that one single, most knowable fact in MD :)
i am so embarrassed that i totally failed to know that one
happy you had a good laugh at my expense

ahh... now you made me feel bad for laughing about you :P

but, you know, it's really like dst, lib and lightsage told you, for those who know something about MD it's almost a burden to have a bunch of adepts... and the less one knows, the worse it gets -.-

so, in fact you'd need to show what you are already capable of and have a rather good idea on what you still want to learn so you can find the right teacher, there are some who enjoy the basic combat, others who like advanced combat, and even others who will gladly teach you about RP in different aspects, like a mage will teach you about the magic-part of RP, an archivist about the archives stuff and so on :)

and, i offer to become your teacher for MD lore and advanced combat [level 'proper usage of matyrism and upwards'], and maybe i'll even answer some things about basics if you ask very polite, but i'm always getting nervous twitches when people ask me to tell them about healing rits and such... :nea:
and i'm only online for minutes at a time, so expect your questions to go unanswered for about 4-6 hours til i come around again ^^

anyways, i hope you find a way of searching that will suit your case better, gl with finding your teachers

I believe we have finally hit on the crux of the matter and as such I believe it's time for me to play my hand.

1. I am attempting to reach MP6 so I am in need of MP6.
2. I have been around long enough to be able to teach you what you know.
3. Although I am not the greatest fighter in the realm, I am a spy and as such can have ready the information you need when you ask.
4. I do not expect you to become my adept for free, and so I will give you one free heal token, redeemable when I hit MP6.
5. You need a teacher, I can do that for the reasons above.
6. This is a simple case of supply and demand, you demand a teacher, I supply one. I demand an adept, you can supply one.

Simple.
Let me know if you fancy doing business.

Garg.

[quote name='Harion' post='31801' date='May 21 2009, 04:27 PM']you can stick that snobby mentorship of yours up your...[/quote]

Thanks for the nice words. Same to you btw.
And you know what? I earned my right to be snobby so deal with it. :P

You must have been snobby from day 1 then, Watcher.

As for looking for a Mentor, you might be better off finding someone in game you get along with and would like to be taught by. The forum tends to devolve some posts into meaningless arguments.

thank you all for the kind (and unkind) words you gave
and all the advices given have been carefully taken into account and heeded

i have already made my decision.

sorry Gargant, your offer was just a bit too late.

i have already offered to be the adept of lightsage.

@lightsage, i humbly come to you with an open-mind and a willing heart.
may i be a testament to how good a teacher you are.
@Burns, I pray your offer still stands when I emerge from lightsage's training more knowledgeable.
perhaps then i will be more of the student who won't inconvenience you much.

to all those who offered help, thank you very much!
it may be that i've chosen wrongly, and you may be the better choice
for what it's worth, you've gained a friend in me
your kindness will never be forgotten.

i leave the mods now to close this topic.

good day to all.

Edited by Harion