Update needed

Kriskah Arcanu

[quote name='Kriskah Arcanu' post='32547' date='Jun 2 2009, 04:05 AM']Please an update is needed so new players don't get confused

[attachment=927:items.jpg][/quote]

Right right - I only hear about trading silver all the time!

why update it? it's quite clear: trading items is not related to trading money at all...

silver coins are no money, but a sort of item, while money is, as mur (/whoever else wrote that) states, an idea that is not used in his realms...

it's just a coincidence that the silver coins are called silver coins like in silver dollars or such, if they were pink ribbons, they'd have the same value -> no 'money' (like the thing that is used here, with bank notes and little nickels and such) involved, more a trade-based currency comparable to rare shells or teeth and whatever else people used back then :)

so, i think that it's perfectly right the way it is, and changing it to 'money is involved' would only make people think that they have to buy items for dollars...

hmm...
I still believe it is confusing.
:)
Maybe is just me but... what are gold and silver coins if not a type of currency=money for the realm?
If no update is needed at leat a market reference does
K

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

Originally there wasn't going to be a currency and even now most people trade without using the coins. They aren't exactly a practical currency anyway, since it takes a lot of effort to trade them in large quantities and it is impossible to trade half a coin. Right now their value is subjective and unstable... Some people might treat it as just an item.
On the other hand, some people are already planning to become a bank or a loan shark. Which is far from the primitive economy.
What exactly are the coins then? I look at them as the early stages of currency. Some people believe in them, but others will refuse to trade for them. They are supposed to be made of precious ores, not flimsy paper, making them more tangible. It would actually be fun if you could melt a stack of coins into a bar of silver. (without spending a WP)

True, because money is the one thing (disregarding the relative decrease of value over quantity due to natural risk averseness and satiation of humans) that holds a fixed value (disregarding prices and inflation).
When I asked in a poll what everyone thought a silver coin was worth in dollars, there were different opinions about it. If silver coins were money, there would be a fixed rate of exchange (imposed by mur (such as the current Chinese Yen)). But since this not (yet) the case, it's not money yet.

[quote name='Kriskah Arcanu' post='32737' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:33 AM']*sighs*
This all means I have the hardest job on the Realm, a merchant in a Land where money does not exist :P[/quote]

Are you saying that 'merchants' did not exist before the advent of currency?
Perhaps you should consider yourself a "trader," then?

[quote name='Watcher' post='32743' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:22 AM']Are you saying that 'merchants' did not exist before the advent of currency?
Perhaps you should consider yourself a "trader," then?[/quote]

Yes, I know trading is older then currency :lol:

Anyways, I been using MDS for months now so this discussion doesnt change my point of view. If people wants to get an item for me they know exactly what to use.

K

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu