Faeries

dst

They aren't evil, they are just misunderstood. Well some of them are evil, but not all of them are. Some are just annoying, like the sock faeries. I've never understood why they can't go back for the match of the sock they stole, instead of taking another one.

They are all evil. all of them. Look at the sugar faeries. Constantly spitting in my sugar pot just so that the sugar all clumps together. Or what about the money faeries, they SAY they bring you good luck, when in fact they wash all the ink off your receipts so you get no refunds or warranty.

Its quite the threat Firsan gives...Faeries are not to be trifled with.

Z

Ha! Men! They say they are brave and strong but they are afraid of tiny helpless women. Tztztz...Fairies are good! Read the stories! Witches are bad (and not all of them). What kind of stories did your mothers told you 2 when you were kids?

I'm very confused.Some say faeries are good,some say they are evil. [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]
I think they are just...faeries...annyoing,but good little creatures [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img] How is this? xD

[quote name='Lady Renata' date='06 August 2009 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1249583785' post='38869']
I'm very confused.Some say faeries are good,some say they are evil. [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]
I think they are just...faeries...annyoing,but good little creatures [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img] How is this? xD
[/quote]

Dependent upon the culture you are from or wish to observe, the behavior of fairies (or faeries) will differ. In most of Europe, where the term originated, the fae could be anywhere from simply curious or mischievous to outright cruel or malignant. Their behavior had much to do with the behaviors and attitudes of those around them.

There is the tale of the elderly cobbler (one who repairs shoes) who was struggling to finish his work. During the night, elves--one of the many types of fae creatures--would appear during the night and do much of his work for him, allowing him to continue working at much easier pace throughout the rest of his day.
In this instance, when treated with respect, the fairies were helpful.

There is also the myth surrounding circles of mushroom growth, also known as "fairy circles," that were thought to be possible portals to the realm of the fae. It was believed that it was best to avoid entering such circles, especially at night, when the fairies were supposed to dance within them. If one was caught within such a circle, they would be forced to dance with the fairies, leading them to utter exhaustion and death or to be trapped there, aging many years within the span of several hours.
In this instance, when not treated with the respect they deserve, the fairies were far less forgiving or tolerant of humans.

Several types of fae, such as brownies or sprites, are known to have a more mischievous bent to them, playing tricks on travelers, merchants, mothers, or the like. Some of these pranks would be harmless, such as moving a chair that one was about to sit upon or scaring the cat, causing it to spill a glass of milk or water. However, some of the tricks were not so playful, leading some to injury or for travelers to be lost within enchanted woods forever.
If such a creature felt slighted or insulted outright, their pranks could take a dangerous turn, leading one to serious injury or death.

The realm of fae includes a great number of creatures, not all of which are those with wings and sparkles. Some would say goblins, gremlins, and their kin are to be placed within the realm of such fantastic creatures.
However, this is mostly based on Western European mythology, and more specifically, upon the tales of the Celts and related peoples. It would be interesting to hear more about the fae of other cultures, but I believe that should be the basis of an entirely separate topic.

Edited by Watcher

There is no doubt that my explanation was limited in the extreme. I covered in five minutes only a fraction of the legends and myths that have accumulated over the course of centuries, from various peoples and cultures across a continent. Invariably, I would miss many things.

I will agree that while the term "fae" is specific to Europe, I believe there are other creatures within other cultures that could be linked to the realm of the fae with little difficulty. However, as I stated, if others wish for this to continue, a separate topic should be opened. This entire page of posts has remote, if any true, connections to the original purpose of this topic.