Clickable Items - Clean Up

Peace

All over MD, most if not all of the clickable items are edited ever since they got implamented in the game. There are many items with nothing of value or meaning or purpose written within them. Also there are quests in others that are inactive, testing, old or simple just spam.

My idea is to have a major clean up. All players who have Active quests in the clickies should copy paste their codes and save them, so as to have a huge clean up, meaning delete all the current content in ALL the clickies.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Besides the quests, it would be nice to save all the work some people have put in the clickies which is good for the history of the realm, such as the Book of Ancients.

If I am correct DR, that book DOES exist in the Clash of Ages and it was made by Awiiya? Things like this should stay in the clickable items for new players to see and learn.

Reason for edit: Spelling check.

Edited by DarkPriestess

how about that:
instead of erasing all items every now and then, we should start with erasing the things scripted by people who lost the ability recently, and then delte items as the need comes up?

like in, someone like Chewie or Rendril get the ability to edit all entries and delete things that are _really_ useless? [you need to keep in mind that a lot of scripts out there would look useless if you don't meet the requirements to read them, empty pages are not always empty]

• Root Admin

[quote name='Burns' date='14 November 2009 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1258204273' post='47421']
how about that:
instead of erasing all items every now and then, we should start with erasing the things scripted by people who lost the ability recently, and then delte items as the need comes up?

like in, someone like Chewie or Rendril get the ability to edit all entries and delete things that are _really_ useless? [you need to keep in mind that a lot of scripts out there would look useless if you don't meet the requirements to read them, empty pages are not always empty]
[/quote]

The problem is is that it would involve someone being able to see the code, which is totally wrong. Since the code may contain many things wanted to be hidden.

Perhaps being able to tag each entry with a "comment" so that someone can view that and see if its just random or actually a quest. I see many objects in Necro that are utterly useless

Indeed Chewett, but not only in Necro it is everywhere. I even see quests in the items that are there ever since that ability was implamented in the game. Even if the person is still not here playing, those quests are still there. I am only proposing this to make the items look more organised and remove all the useless text and reform it with all the new one. It could also be a great help to those who do quests with clickies. Just random thoughts.

I mean, yes... there are a lot of unnecesary things...

But on the other hand I think we should be careful. Nothing would really be lost on my side, because every big item I have is an iframe.

But what about the people who aren't here, but are coming back? I don't know, it seems hasty.

Awi

Jay a third cleanup topic!
While it is nice to see people are concerned about cleaning, I think a scheme to facilitate it in the future is needed first. I don't think it is possible to create something foolproof (lazy-bum-proof). At some point the only method to decide if a script is still valuable will be for someone to manually inspect it, because the creator is beyond reach. While it directly violates privacy/secrecy and ownership, imo creating a script for MD implies that you give up copyright on the script. If someone else were to see the code and expands upon it, it is fair for that person to cite your name, but you can't go and sue them. And if you are gone, what use is it to forbid people to look at it?

I assume it is possible to see who wrote a certain script and to determine when that person last logged in? Allowing creators to attach a short comment to their script would help too, but is relying heavily on them not being lazy.

Most of the empty items are not even seen because the requirements are not met by the viewer (usually a password input)
In most cases it is because of the recent update which ended up clearing out many clickable, while someone where never whole to begin with.
Filtering might work to a certain extent, such as if the script is more than 6 months old, but as Kafuuka said, it boils down to the human element to control it.

What about this as a remedy:
Rather than deleting the script, it becomes public domain.
Lets say after some length of time, if the script is not password activated or hasn't been edited (in the case of passwordless scripts) then it is able to be edited by a third party, who will then gain "onwership" of it.
Or perhaps, a script maker can allow who would be given editing rights to their script, or to change the ownership themselves.

Regardless, something I feel would be very useful is a centralised location that lists what script you have running (would also like this for storages)
You might forget about that shorter twig, in the bushes behind third maple tree that you edited a month ago to perform a test, of give an alternate quest route but the quest is now over etc. This would serve as a good management system.

chewett, do you do many quests as it is? if you had access to them it wouldn't change much, as, as far as i know you don't do many quests, and you shouldn't be able to edit other's scripts, but you should be able to view them, and delete them if required, basically acting as a mod of the clickables :D

• Root Admin

[quote name='I am Bored' date='16 November 2009 - 01:12 AM' timestamp='1258333944' post='47589']
chewett, do you do many quests as it is? if you had access to them it wouldn't change much, as, as far as i know you don't do many quests, and you shouldn't be able to edit other's scripts, but you should be able to view them, and delete them if required, basically acting as a mod of the clickables :)
[/quote]

I wasnt the one who suggested being able to edit others scripts, Nor did i suggest me acting as a mod!

But i do have several quests lined up, in full php ready for mdscript...

Although I can understand the impulse to clean things up, I think the idea to delete the content of all clickables by DarkPriestess is totally unacceptable. As someone who makes quests regularly that are all in clickables, I do agree that it is better when there aren't a lot of visible test/garbage entries around, but I think you have overstated the problem. I went through every clickable on MD and 44 of them have something visible set. Only nine of these have non-working or test script entries:

marindroundabout topfn test is broken
marindroundabout wbrick invisible no title no text blank document
gazeebo stone2 there are a few test scripts visible
gazeebo upfronthide has one test script
gazeebo upleftstairs has one test script the way is blocked
mdaeastwall window has chewett test
mdamarindsroom balcony Untitled - does nothing but may be a quest
marindroundabout bigstone test script - you are dead
signpost mb marbledale test - (grido test page)

There are another 15 or locations which have messages set by a single player such as:

Upper Drawer - This one seems to be empty, or does it...

Only one of these seems like blatant spam:

fountlostpath pave spam "Hi"

One other location has very out of date info:

signpost mb sagekeep Newspaper letters wanted & MD University Announcements

And one undisclosed location has the "Transcript of Factions Meeting" which is a very long discussion on factions between Mur and RPC/PWRs.

There may be many many other "hidden" scripts but nobody except Mur should be disturbed by these. Going through and deleting every clickable to fix one broken test script, 8 other visible test scripts and the small handful of other things I detailed above is totally out of scale.

Giving someone (a script moderator) the ability to add a keyword to these types of problem scripts would at least allow them to be hidden so they don't bother people.

As someone who has made many clickable scripts both visible and hidden, and has a bunch of quests both running and no longer in play, I would strongly strongly be against doing any kind of global delete of clickables. That is a very bad idea.

Cheers,

Cutler

• Root Admin

[quote name='cutler121' date='16 November 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1258387293' post='47629']
Giving someone (a script moderator) the ability to add a keyword to these types of problem scripts would at least allow them to be hidden so they don't bother people.

As someone who has made many clickable scripts both visible and hidden, and has a bunch of quests both running and no longer in play, I would strongly strongly be against doing any kind of global delete of clickables. That is a very bad idea.
[/quote]

I agree that a full clean is utterly wrong!

I think we need some script moderators that can A) see who made the script and [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons//cool.gif[/img] who can make some scripts as "hidden" and have the ability to delete scripts.

This would allow them to contact the creators to see if it is being used and also able to hide scripts that they are unsure about