Creation Of Knowledge

Asterdai

Whilst researching about memories, and how we remember/percieve things all seperately i came accross an interesting website. Makes me think about MD and its purpose and how it works. For me.

http://www.anti-knowledge.com/index.html
(more files in the headings are much more interesting)
Please Read and nod an agreement or whatever, i cannot expect you to actually comment on it as its mostly WAY over my head. Very interesting and readable format though, thats why i thought it would be useful
(i would say that this post is directed to MUR but i also know others may find it interesting, just a different way to imagine and explain things you probalby already know, but dont know you do :P)

Edited by Asterdai

In my own opinion, the source of all knowledge is curiosity. We as humans always seek something of interest, and we are always able to find ways to gain information about a specific thing whether it is abstract or concrete.

Knowledge is everywhere, it could be in your room, your office, your book, or even under your pants. But one cannot have the ultimate knowledge of all things when talking about evolution of our knowledge, you can't have knowledge of all things on different infinite dimensions and realms that are existing right at this moment, every tick of time on your wristwatch holds a different number of events in different places, planes and times. Knowledge about past, present and future are pure infinity, and all the things beyond our plane of understanding is pure randomness. The very minute spurr of our curiosity triggers the creation of knowledge, thus I must say, we ourselves are the creators of our own knowledge and perception of all things that surrounds us. Knowing [b]all[/b] things could make one insane, even a very huge capacity hard disk that can hold decillions and decillions of terabytes of informations about all the existing and non-existing things cannnot withstand the vastness of all knowledge.

The website talks about creation. Creation to me is the taking of what exists and adding a part, be it tiny or large. I've found myself sometimes struggling for something entirely original, but I realize that it's impossible or in the very least improbable. No one works in a void, and it's impossible to influenced by things around us, whether we try and avoid it or accept it.

Also, I'm not sure why the author of the website is spending so much time diagramming and attempting to put into words and equations "knowledge." Not that I think it's a total waste of time, but surely this time could be better spent creating said knowledge?

Awi

[quote name='awiiya' date='14 December 2009 - 03:16 AM' timestamp='1260760616' post='49813']
Also, I'm not sure why the author of the website is spending so much time diagramming and attempting to put into words and equations "knowledge." Not that I think it's a total waste of time, but surely this time could be better spent creating said knowledge?

Awi
[/quote]

sooo funny you know that ;)

Reading the pages last night, it made me think about MD. The whole medium, and the tools which have been created allowing us to ask questions, and all congregate together to be able to do so. I could read through it all and pick out many points where i see similaritys between what is talked about things which musta have been taken into account in the creation of MD, but im not going to because it would be boring, for me and for you :)
thanks for your replys its really interesting for me to see x

ok, so what is the guy saying, that knowledge is created through questions?

Q: What is he selling?
A: His book, and implicitly his "new" gimmick, which is just a fancy way of brainstorming/mindmapping/whatever. Possibly "innovation" services/trainings for corporations, especially if he manages to create enough interest to get published anywhere good like the Harvard Business Review. That's what marketers do, mate. 2 years down the line he'll be selling another "system" and doing the whole "CEO training circuit" again.

There, I created some knowledge myself! Though it's prolly "known" already. Then again maybe the big ol' corporate world made me too cynical :)

later edit - FFS, he even has a powerpoint presentation! ;)

Edited by Totenkopf

[quote name='Totenkopf' date='14 December 2009 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1260788633' post='49858']
ok, so what is the guy saying, that knowledge is created through questions?

Q: What is he selling?
A: His book, and implicitly his "new" gimmick, which is just a fancy way of brainstorming/mindmapping/whatever. Possibly "innovation" services/trainings for corporations, especially if he manages to create enough interest to get published anywhere good like the Harvard Business Review. That's what marketers do, mate. 2 years down the line he'll be selling another "system" and doing the whole "CEO training circuit" again.

There, I created some knowledge myself! Though it's prolly "known" already. Then again maybe the big ol' corporate world made me too cynical :P

later edit - FFS, he even has a powerpoint presentation! :))
[/quote]

lol i had Exactly the same thought, WTF is this ALL about, i mean WHY bother and then i saw the book and all that, very clever of him i must say. But did you not feel you gained anything from reading it?(the one i enjoyed the most was the one entitled Sphere as it is interesting to Picture how we all work together, much like we are doing in MD)

(plus, in a way, Isnt MD a way to "make" money, on a real base level, it wouldnt be able to exist without it. But is that really a problem? as long as both parties are happy... dont answer this i dont wanna go off topic!)

Edited by Asterdai

[quote name='Asterdai' date='14 December 2009 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1260789409' post='49860']
lol i had Exactly the same thought, WTF is this ALL about, i mean WHY bother and then i saw the book and all that, very clever of him i must say. But did you not feel you gained anything from reading it?(the one i enjoyed the most was the one entitled Sphere as it is interesting to Picture how we all work together, much like we are doing in MD)

(plus, in a way, Isnt MD a way to "make" money, on a real base level, it wouldnt be able to exist without it. But is that really a problem? as long as both parties are happy... dont answer this i dont wanna go off topic!)
[/quote]

I didn't get to the sphere one, i got till the "detailed example" (http://www.anti-knowledge.com/ExhaustQuestion.htm) and remembered i've seen it before in a few similar formats (e.g. in my organization we do it with sticky notes on a white board in a 4-quadrant kind of thing, inspired by the Lean-based Value Stream Mapping which we mix up with Six Sigma and like a good "cutting edge" corporation we also "love" doing for everything possible, especially services, which means we're avant-garde or somesuch), and if you look at the "innovations" in red, it's basically form without content, a glorified mind-map/brainstorming-capture-format, that doesn't even look that good if you ask me.

Now I went ahead and had a quick glance at the sphere one (I didn't have the patience to read more than a few paragraphs - this guy probably never actually reached the "training executives" level, since it's just waaay too much info, even in the ppt - 52 slides?! - they should have a quick exec summary on the beginning of each page of the site and 3-4 slides max in the ppt :D), and to me it sounds rather more like Wikipedia than MD, but hey, whatever lights your buttons! :))

it's as good a starting point as any for a discussion on this topic, and in that regard, i'll make a nice gesture and actually stop complaining for a bit and agree with the guy when he says we're moving from the information age of digitizing and storing information to a new age where we'll start thinking about it differently. the first steps are already there with the whole web 2.0, wikis and accent on user contribution and so on.

I would even venture a wild comparison that we're heading more and more from rigid storing of information towards how our brains actually store and access information, dynamically, by context, ever changing and ever evolving into more complex patterns of random bits (and not just text but images sounds and so on). I'd even go so far as saying that when trying to remember something our brains prolly act just like that wikipedia game where you're given two articles and are supposed to get from one two the other in the shortest amount of jumps (except the brain does it really really fast and not just one-dimensional jumps :P)

• 3 months later...