The transposition principle

• Root Admin

An identity can be associated with every object, action or living creature. The more we get to know of an object’s nature, the clearer its identity becomes. For completely understanding an identity or a mark, we must not take into account time and we must combine all the stages of that object’s existence into one continuous thought. For instance, an action can be condensed to a simple identity, understanding the beginning, the course and the end of that action as a whole. A human can be defined through an identity understanding his existence from his birth until present times and not judging him in a certain situation. Two identical or close identities will behave as if they belonged to the same source, no matter the physical distance that separates them. By reproducing the aforementioned identity in a place, that identity will be connected to all its similar identities. This phenomenon is also to be noticed when a mother feels that her child is in trouble, and also in some rituals like voodoo, when a mere doll has direct influence upon a real character.

The ability to identify and understand these identities is not sufficient; it is also necessary for these to be able to be transposed into various forms, the force of their reproduction resulting in the power of the connection that is created between these identities. This thing can be done with the help of a connection to the initial identity, like hair (or other) for humans. In complex situations, when the identity of an action or of an intangible thing is reproduced, the phenomenon is only mental. Understood and recomposed at a very high level, this identity represents itself the existence of the initial object in this world, therefore, for instance, acknowledging the markidentity of a geographical spot may produce teleportation phenomena or even the materialization of distant objects; reproducing the identity of a feeling may produce telepathy phenomena, or even mental control upon other beings. At a more refined level of perceiving these identities, whole series of events can be acknowledge as a single complex thought, a uniform and clear one that is able to foresee future actions, or by reproducing the identity of an action the mentioned actions may be reproduced, for instance modifying the evolution of a battle and changing the luck as it is said.

Remarkable phenomena occur when complex identities are reproduced and impregnated into less complex objects, like the mark of a victory (a very complex thought) reproduced upon the bladeidentity of a sword, or the identity of a complex technique, let’s say invisibility, reproduced into a coatcloak. Depending on the force and skill that created these things with hybrid identities, these can range in classification from talismans and objects with symbolical proprieties to really magic objects.

• 4 months later...

does this mean then that transposition is the enchanting or relic creating ability ? for example if a mage had say both element principle and transposition principle , he could create a sword with the element of fire , effectively an enchanted weapon that does fire damage on strike ?

• 1 month later...

:D I don't know... I like the idea of combining it with cyclicity or balance: would the sword then fight for you?

Could I sit down with a nice cold beer and watch as my sword did all the work? Fun to find out :P

Ooooh combine transposition with imagination for the ultimate feints :P

I love the principles... they're so much fun :D

here's a curious one for you... if you Transpose Entropy onto a sword could you use it to prevent damage to the sword by transping all impact damage onto the armour your hitting... to do that would you also need to transpose Transposition onto the sword?

brain hurting yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

entropy transposed to a sword will make it decay faster :))))) maybe if you could put in some syntropy to balance it then you could speed up things and make them fall apart faster where you hit.

cyclicity will make the sword hit for more damage incrementaly on every hit.

syntropy without entropy could make the sword do steal life???? idk , never tried :)

balance ...is more powerfull than you think, because it also sais there it can be used in a special way to change the balance, so maibe a 5% chance to turn the outcome of a lost battle in your favor???

• 3 weeks later...

hmm

then current stat of game (using creatures) is transposition ?

and u can forsee outcome of battle (mark of a victory ) when u use x equipment

so u can change something and use transposition again to see what happen this time?

and if u are so powerfull in transposition and time u can reset everything (even acount of another person)

actualy u mean with transposition u can take control of everything with understanding its true identity and reprodue it?

wow i hope i understand it this time beacuse i read it more than 10 time (my poor english ;))

think of it kind of like the magic of true names. knowing what something truly is and how it works gives you power over that thing. in transposition, you understand the intricate details of the universe and the true nature of all things so you have the ability to transpose or shape or alter them as you will.

combine that with something like time and you find that you can weave the very fabric of existence. understanding the true nature of time, compounded with imagination and you create time travel or teleportation or the ability to retrieve items by simply willing them to come to you. the possibilities are boundless.

• Root Admin

principles of the world and principles of magic are the same thing ... or should i say magic is just the part of the world most don't understand?

i think is time for more info ... ? ;) or maybe i let you puzle your mind with the principles more

• 6 months later...

hmm... what if...

darkness + transposition + light (or light + transposition + darkness) = reflecting an attack back on the user (nullify, copy, eject)

And, since it gives you knowledge of identities, transposition + light + darkness (in correct proportion to match net energy output/input) = any attack or spell you can think of? :)

Also, if you did an attack perfectly once, you can forever do it perfectly by just adding transposition to your usual concoction of principles.

... transpose entropy into your opponent... watch his flesh rot off...

Sorry for double-post, but I just reread the principle info and this seems too important to bunch in with the rest of my ideas.

So if an identity is associated with every action, how about the action of using a basic principle? Then, since transposition gives you knowledge of it, you can use ANY principle, and thus any spell through a medley of transpositions. Please tell me I'm wrong.

you're wrong? < what? you asked me to :P kidding

you might be right, though from what i understood of it when i read it, you have to already know the identity, say you've held a wooden box but have lost it, because you've held it and have 'learnt' the identity of the item, you can then being it to you so to speak, if that makes sense anyway.

so you can't just summon another principle becuase you havent learnt it, and therefore dont know the identity of it, without the identity of the object you cant use it. thats my take on it anyway

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, due to the knowledge needed to wield this sort of magic, one would need to take up a lot of research into identities and gaining them may not be easy, and indeed even exhausting.

Although, amongst my enemies a common identity may be apparent, each will still have their own unique identity, a person is made up of many parts, and each part has a unique identity, albeit similar to the previous. To that end, the greatest way to fully hinder an opponent would be to gather his unique identity, either by way of gathering body hair, blood or items they once used.

Now, I'm sure even with a common identity, some form of transposition would be possible, but with the enemies unique identity, much more could be accomplished.

Truly mastering this principle would be a feat in itself, but imagine at the strongest levels, fully mastering every aspect of transposition would effectively allow you to merge objects and creatures. Of course this is quite a task, and would take a lot of power and research into the two parties involved. If one were to simply merge two creatures, without truly understanding every unique identity that makes the creature what it is, you will not create a new creature, but something hideous.

Due to the sheer knowledge required to gain a true and full understanding of this, and indeed to gather truly unique identities, quickly, coupling this principle with time would highly speed the process up.

Of course, by taking other principles, you could merge your enemies with the spells themselves. By combing with imagination, and element you could create a fireball and place it within your enemies heart, or any internal organ effectively burning them from the inside out. Brings a whole new meaning to the term Heartburn. Let's break the principles down for the reasons...

Elements - Let us assume this grants us the ability to control elements, and let us assume fire is one of the said elements. Now, let us assume this grants control, but not the ability to create.

Imagination - Let us assume this grants us the ability to create objects, coupled with transposition one could effectively create anything you know the identity for. Let us create fire, and control the fire with the element principle.

Transposition - By using the identity of our enemy, and the identity of the fire ball you have created, and controlled, you are now able to fuse the two together. Causing severe heartburn.

The mumblings of a madmen? Time shall tell.

• 1 month later...

ok so the way i read it, i think that it could be used this way:
If you can learn the "true name" of an action, why not learn the true name of your opponents attack?
Granted it would take time to master this particular application of the principle, would it not let you be able to... alter certain parts of their strike. for example, changing the target to one of their own, or just changing the hit to a heal.
Im not sure whether actually changing the target would still fall under this principle or whether that is the jurisdiction of another principle. But as this principle is said to have to powers of mind control at higher levels, i dont see why you shouldn't be able to mess with the opponents targets.

I myself have chosen to follow the principles of imiagination, transposition and entropy. I'm thinking that i could find the true name for the opponents mind, or intelligence, and transpose entropy onto it. I'm not sure if that would work, but, if it did, think of the uses of being able to stop your opponent from thinkning.

Also just one worry. If there are so many different spells that can be made by principles, how is the system going to keep up, i mean if someone invents a new spell and tries to use it, will the game be able to identify what the spell is trying to do and give an accurate effect?