Md Archives Issue

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

Situation: i messed it, nothing else to say, ..big time.

Update... i figured out that a full restore on that domain should make things as the were yesterday and i can retry the upgrade this time _READING_ the instructions.I emailed hosting for a recent backup, I hope they have it (they should).

I will keep you informed on the way.

Edited by Muratus del Mur
rearanged topic

Chewett says:
[quote name='Chewett' date='03 December 2009 - 06:25 AM' timestamp='1259785512' post='48958']
And im taking backups of the site every month so we have copies should the worst happen.
[/quote]

In the topic:
[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/5832-calling-all-archivists/"]Calling All Archivists![/url]

If the hosts don't have a backup (which I doubt will be the case) check him :P

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

The last backup i saw in the interface was from october last year, I had no time to make a new one, since someone was messing with my account ...
Hope he has indeed a recent one, or else hope the users still have some copies of the entries.

• Root Admin

I have bad news. Hosting said most "recent" backup is from 5 july O.o

Now i am at the stage where i freak out for their incompetence since i do have a remote backup option with them and i was supposed to have things backed up weekly at least.

Until i see if their change their mind and find a more recent backup somehow by a miracle, the remaining option is to put the old backup and then use one of our bacups to restore content before i attempt a site upgrade again.

So..waiting a bit more. Keep those backups handy.

If you do a google search for 'magicduel archives,' there is an option to click the 'cached' version of the page - which works.

However, you can't navigate through other pages once you do that. You'd have to search for each individual page and then select its cached version in google. Unless there's another way to do this... I'm not too tech savvy

Edited by Phantom Orchid

The "cache" is what you have temporarily downloaded onto your own computer by visiting the site.

True, if everyone has a piece of the site in their cache, it might be possible to recreate md-archives from the pieces.

Edited by apophys

• Root Admin

[quote name='apophys' date='25 February 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1267129697' post='55229']
The "cache" is what you have temporarily downloaded onto your own computer by visiting the site.True, if everyone has a piece of the site in their cache, it might be possible to recreate md-archives from the pieces.
[/quote]

actually she is right, Google Caches all pages that they index, so you can get a lot of stuff from google even if the site has been taken offline

Unless Mur can get a later backup, The latest will be one that i took from December the 2nd since no one was actually assigned to back it up, and my "monthly" backup plan went astray after i got so busy.

So, if you uploaded something after the 2nd december i would definitely start piecing it together if you havent got it all together

• Root Admin

Ok so its like this: Hosting replied with a big stupid grin on their face that there is no other backup and that my payed remote backup feature was actually not working because it was not set up. Nice time to find this out, good that its not MD that needs the backup.

We have a version from july up, so i will need the december backup. I have recovered something that looks like a backup file and is newwer than december, if i can get that working, fine , if not, Chewett pls email me that backup you have.

So technically we lost all the history of md since the December month. Im wondering if anybody who has written for it since then or has an entry in there cache from after December second that was added would be able to send it to a central source like a fourm base. I don't have any cache I always delete on exit so the first person who has a topic that meets the criteria make a topic for that.

• Root Admin

Update is done but i have to move it now in the root. Will do this probably tomorow.
Also I have to do a design, right now, all their templates are crap.

http://md-archives.com/newarchive

The template i picked is suggestive don't you think? :D

Don't worry structure and layout will change too, right now its everything as it was imported from old site.