March Madness Fishing Tournament

cutler121

[b]March Madness Fishing Tournament[/b]

The interactive fishing system has been released as the Month of March Madness Fishing Tournament.

On the first of March, the Bait and Tackle shop became available in the MB (real and astral) Willows shop and the Loreroot astral Defensive Quarters. The bait and tackle shop has many fishing related items for sale.

There are 5 different fishing poles which can be purchased with proceeds from selling the fish you catch. Each improved rod will change the fishing game play and make it possible to catch better fish. There are also 19 different lures and each one also changes the game play and rewards depending on the level of the lure and the type of location at which people fish (ponds, lakes, streams, ocean) using the astral interactive inventory.

Everyone who wants to compete will be able to buy a tournament pass (for free) in the extra section of the bait and tackle. This will reset your tournament fishing stats as well as give access to the Loreroot astral plane.

The fishing system is based loosely on minesweeper with a few twists. :-)

This month long tournament will have several rewards for the people who are able to earn the most money catching fish including WP's and creatures. (Money spent on fishing items doesn't reduce your total earnings.)

This quest / system was developed in cooperation with Capital who also drew all the new artwork for the fishing related items. Nice work Capital!!!

A Few Suggestions:

If you buy a new lure use the astral interactive inventory option "combine" to add the new lure to your pole. The old lure on the pole will be returned to your inventory. It is possible to sell used lures back to the bait and tackle store for a reduced price (50% off).

There are additional items (bait) which can be combined with the pole which help catch fish (change the play style).

Once you join the tournament by buying the tournament pass, you can check your winning rank by clicking the Tournament Rankings link in the bait and tackle. In a few weeks, I will post the rewards for the top ranking fishing positions. The player positions can change and you will be able to track how well you are doing.

Once you have a pole and lure combined all you need to do is find a location somewhere in MD which has a stream, pond, lake or ocean. (Big Hint: just for those who read all the way here different lures work better or worse at different locations. Try new lures at several types of locations to see where it works the best)

To get the best rewards from fishing you want to have the most fish correctly located (by right clicking). If you click a square containing a fish, that fish will escape and no longer reside on the board (changing the surrounding numbers). There is no time limit and you can take a chance at catching one of the fish you marked by clicking the "Reel in Line" or clicking away all of the water squares.

Good Luck and Happy Fishing !!!

PS. If there are any bugs which pop up please PM me in game and I will check it right away. I am usually idling in the Paper Cabin.

[quote name='Yoshi' date='01 March 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1267446020' post='55549']
Will certain lures catch certain fish better, or only certain type of fish per lure?
[/quote]

Yes, the biggest effect is with upgraded poles, but it takes some time to earn enough money to buy one of those.

If you look closely at the lures there are 7 different "levels" of lure and a few different types within each level. As you upgrade to different levels the chance of catching rarer fish improves.

The main difference within level is how quickly the water refills and changes for each lure at different types of fishing locations from more quickly to more slowly.

Cheers,

Cutler

[quote name='cutler121' date='01 March 2010 - 07:42 AM' timestamp='1267447338' post='55555']
The main difference within level is how quickly the water refills and changes for each lure at different types of fishing locations from more quickly to more slowly.
[/quote]

Oh GOOD! The water refilling is quite annoying to say the least.

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='01 March 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1267450755' post='55561']
Hm.. So it costs coins? Not going to bother then, since I don't have any.

If you give a few free ones to try it out, I would though.
[/quote]

Shadowseeker, you need to read a little bit more carefully.

You earn coins by selling the fish you catch. You can then use those coins to buy things like improved poles and lures. Improved poles and lures enable you to catch more expensive fish thereby letting you earn more money. Your fishing score is based on how many coins you earn.

(100 pennies = 1 copper coin)

Cutler

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='01 March 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1267454280' post='55566']
Well, all nice and true..but I have 0 coins in the astral. How am I supposed to start without a rod, or any bait, because I cannot afford any?
[/quote]

I love to see you beat the hardest battle or quest, and starting so lovley goofy around this :) Take it with fun! :)

[quote name='ladytwin' date='01 March 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1267479745' post='55589']
lol iam so bad at this game i a have -2 copper and few cents :)

*wonders if culter will ask rent for being in the red*
[/quote]

Hi,

If you could PM me what you did to get the minus copper, I will go fix that.

It looks like people are beginning to catch some rare fish, that's great.

If you are having difficulty catching fish all the time, the main thing to focus on is marking as many fish correctly as you can. There is no need to rush (except for the refilling water). If you mark a fish incorrectly that subtracts one from the correctly marked fish. The more fish you mark correctly the higher the probability is you will catch something.

Cheers,

Cutler

So people have had a few days to go fishing and at least a handful of you have been able to upgrade your fishing lures and poles a time or two.

Any suggestions or ideas for improvements to the fishing system?
( No the water refilling won't be done away with :) )

At present the following three people are in the lead:

(Contestant)(Money Earned)(Times Went Fishing)

Aelis 672 219
*burns* 379 184
Pazur 115 414

Cheers,

Cutler

Two things:

1. Right-click, hold down, and click a number square to uncover all unmarked squares around it, if the number of surrounding marked squares equals the number on the square. (you could simplify this to simply right-clicking a number square)

2. When uncovering an empty (0) square, all surrounding squares are immediately revealed. (they should still get covered by returning water)

These two aspects of minesweeper make it much easier and more fun to play. A lack of them in this fishing has annoyed me to no end. :)
I play MD on a laptop, and using the touchpad is slow, so I'd love to save time by reducing clicks.

Edited by apophys

maybe you should increase the chance of catching stuff for beginners - i get how the system should work, i've tried in several fishing places several times, i've even done a "perfect" game once, marking everything correctly (although usually I only mark 4-6 correctly), and it still says i didn't catch anything :blink:
ps - using the free stuff (combined them) and attempted prolly 12-15 games or so

[quote name='Totenkopf' date='03 March 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1267631249' post='55680']
maybe you should increase the chance of catching stuff for beginners - i get how the system should work, i've tried in several fishing places several times, i've even done a "perfect" game once, marking everything correctly (although usually I only mark 4-6 correctly), and it still says i didn't catch anything :blink:
ps - using the free stuff (combined them) and attempted prolly 12-15 games or so
[/quote]

Actually the chance has been increased greatly for beginners already. If you are only marking 4-6 fish correctly then you are incorrectly clicking 5-10 fish which is why you aren't catching anything. This is a game of skill which requires you to not let the fish get away. If you mark all of the fish correctly you will catch something, each time you incorrectly click a fish and let it get away your chance of catching a fish drops. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get a handle of what you have to do to play, the game play style changes alot as you progress (for your enjoyment). It does require you to use logic though otherwise you wont be able to catch anything.

Cheers,

Cutler

It's not a big thing... but what if once you caught a rare fish its image would remain in the page even after you sold it?Sort of to show that you've already seen that fish. (right now the image goes back to Rare Fish once you sell it, right?)

Other than that I think the game is great the way it is :blink:

~Aelis

[quote name='Aelis' date='04 March 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1267661761' post='55703']
It's not a big thing... but what if once you caught a rare fish its image would remain in the page even after you sold it?Sort of to show that you've already seen that fish. (right now the image goes back to Rare Fish once you sell it, right?)

Other than that I think the game is great the way it is :blink:

~Aelis
[/quote]

Nice idea,

Done.

Cutler

Yeah, I uh got the -2 copper aswell, somehow I was able to buy the fly fishing rod. I then used it, realised that the stupid water fills in faster :blink: So I sold it and am now -1 copper 30 Pennies, not sure if the pennies will go up or down if i catch and sell a fish though. Tried buying the fly fishing rod again but to no avail.

[quote name='Yoshi' date='04 March 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1267664867' post='55706']
Yeah, I uh got the -2 copper aswell, somehow I was able to buy the fly fishing rod. I then used it, realised that the stupid water fills in faster :blink: So I sold it and am now -1 copper 30 Pennies, not sure if the pennies will go up or down if i catch and sell a fish though. Tried buying the fly fishing rod again but to no avail.
[/quote]

I found the bug, thanks for letting me know exactly how it happened that helped alot.

This bug let you buy a fly fishing pole with less money than it required which is why your copper is now in the negative.

I found that this problem affected ladytwin, yoshi, and pazur and reset your copper and item status back to normal. You should be all set.

If any other bugs or suggestions pop up please post them here so I can get them fixed right away.

Cheers,

Cutler

If you go into the astral plane from the GGG, and then the equipment box for the bait shop, then click on any of the pages, when you go to leave to the astral plane, it takes you to Willow's shop.

Oh, and when you reset the account, you took my striped lure away :blink:

Edited by Yoshi