Item Limited Use Feature

Jubaris

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would like to suggest a feature that allows me to transfer an usable item to somebody else for period of time or limited number of uses (so for example nobody crosses me over when I transfer Lorerootian Pass papers to someone for one-time use)

What do you guys think?

here's the Pool, vote! :D

(wait, I just need to set the Pool somehow, uno momento! :D)

Edited by Chewett

That's already in place in a way: the items Mur created and placed in the Wasp Tower. They return to their home after they get...used.
Also, I believe Mur mentioned somewhere in his topic about items (when he first made them) that he has in mind something similar with your idea.
It's probably only a matter of time until it will be implemented.

yes, I remember he mentioning something like that in the announcements, but it is not that rare for him to forget about some things and move on to the others, this one isn't anything that would change the game radically (just boost up the already item system).

Like you said, it's already there in test items, and it can be applied in every scriptable item players have.

I asked Rendril about this 'new' feature, and he recommended me to post it on the forums. If the community agrees, it might be made possible :)

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1290274901' post='72662']
I would like to suggest a feature that allows me to transfer an usable item to somebody else for period of time or limited number of uses (so for example nobody crosses me over when I transfer Lorerootian Pass papers to someone for one-time use)
[/quote]
I highly doubt you'll ever be able to edit the pass papers themselves and making a tool that allows you to make items returning, is nice for those who have such a tool, but allows them to cross over others. What would stop you from making every item you trade come back to you even if that is not what the other party agreed upon? It seems to me you are dumping the problem of breach of trust onto the other party instead of actually solving it.

if a trade is commissioned, you can make screenshot of a PM or whatever (like now with any trade), so any abuses would be punished like up till now, but if you want to allow someone to test an item (or in an example i mentioned allow someone to enter another land), you need to make them say "i promise I'll get them back" every time, so you can screenshot it? :D There wasn't a single case yet as far as I know someone abusing a short-term item transfer (like for an RP event, when someone passes an item temporarily to another person just for the sake of realization of people's actions), so I don't know would that be sanctioned?

also a newb, or a new alt has nothing to lose by cheating (considering the account is not yet developed).
People owning an item usually have much more to lose by abusing the system.

Item that was transfered under the option of temporary usage, should have some signifier bellow that "usable" tag

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1290282207' post='72685']
Also a newb, or a new alt has nothing to lose by cheating (considering the account is not yet developed).
People owning an item usually have much more to lose by abusing the system.
[/quote]
On various occasions Mur has said that he is less likely to show mercy to very new players and that punishments for deeds of alts might be extended to the 'main'.

Homing items are interesting if used correctly, however they are more prone to abuse than usable items without pigeon genetics. You say you have not witnessed any cases yet, whereas I have long ago seen the effect of people being granted the power to make 'money' out of nothing. Back when coins were first introduced, one RPC proposed to 'trade' his spell document for a certain amount of coins. For those who don't know how spell docs and RPCs operated, RPCs were able to give people copies of their spell document and did so to reward people for quests. I do not consider 'give me five coins' a quest, but an abuse of a given privilege.

without the homing thing, you can still farm cash with those items.

Someone just needs to set up "free passage into Golemus for 5 coins", and they'll make a deal, all nice black&white on paper. Having the feature on the item would avoid such formalities, and making deals on every step you move.

Alts aren't that easy to detect. Reset your modem, change your computer... whatever it takes to be done... it's not that hard with decent amount of will.

[quote name='Kafuuka' timestamp='1290280853' post='72683']
What would stop you from making every item you trade come back to you even if that is not what the other party agreed upon? It seems to me you are dumping the problem of breach of trust onto the other party instead of actually solving it.
[/quote]
Add a tag to the item that indicates it has a limited period before it returns, and a way to see how long until the conditions are met. Have land items return to their king, instead of whoever was holding them, so that he can decide who to give them to next.

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1290285973' post='72690']
Alts aren't that easy to detect. Reset your modem, change your computer... whatever it takes to be done... it's not that hard with decent amount of will.
[/quote]
Alts are far easier to detect than that ;)
You would need to have some pretty serious tech skills, or simply be willing to shell out 40 or so dollars a month to have any chance to avoid the alt checker, and even then you will still almost always end up getting caught (unless you are smart).
But, since the only one who has access to the alt checker is Mur, so long as you don't break the rules (in this case, send the profit to your main or scam people until the community complains), odds are Mur won't care that much.

I have to agree with Kafuuka.

In additon to what he has said this very much feels like an appeal to the lowest commun denominator. If you can't even be bothered to make trades and take risks based on your own analysis of someone, then I'm not even sure you should have the items at all - and that goes double for the king comment.

I'd also say, that imo this is a form of magic. An item so tied to you it comes back, and I wonder whether you have an inner magic formula made up for this process? Probably not as it looks like you are just looking at it as a machanical way to make your life easier...but that's the only aspect about the suggestion that I find of interest.

Z

• Root Admin

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1290285973' post='72690']
[/quote]

Ignorance is Bliss

yes, I thought about it, that would be considered magic.

But consider this:
item having an ability (let's say potion that makes you speak french) is magical as well
it is realistic for an item to get stolen in that way, but where's the realistic feedback to my beating up the newb so I can get my item back? :D

about alts, my point is, you can just use the other computer... some people play at work and dont play at home (and other way around) and have extra computers on their own... plus internet cafes... That last one is perhaps an extreme scenario, but that the point is that you cane easily create an alt that won't be recognized as an alt if you want it.