How And Which Alliance To Join?

Mavac

There is actually a list of alliances stated here:
http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/4659-the-alliance-list/page__pid__73276__st__20#entry73276

And to answer your question:

Each Alliance comes with its different 'perks,' but also different uses.
Woodcutters, SoS, LS, KoB, etc. each have different purposes.

If you really want to choose an alliance, choose one that has a land you want to be affiliated with, but also has the desired purpose that you would like to fulfill.

Some Alliances, however, have an initiation process, or are exclusive due to reasons that they may be administrative, such as Underground, or are for very specific people who research important things, such as Akasha's alliance. [The name escapes me right now.] Some, might even hand pick their people making it that you have to be drafted in, as how my Alliance used to be.

My suggestion would be to take a look, understand the description, contact the alliance leader, and then make your decision.

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1291934032' post='74977']
Some Alliances...are for very specific people who research important things, such as Akasha's alliance. [The name escapes me right now.][/quote]
Kelle'tha Order.

Each alliance gives different benefits to skills. To say much more would probably be considered a spoiler.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]Try talking to different people with different symbols before their names. The symbols are alliance badges. You'll get a feel for the alliances and lands if you spend time doing a little investigation.[/font][/color]