Event Calendar

Curiose

I was thinking.

Some people have a hard time sifting through the forums to find dates to announced events. And often, there is more than one happening. I was thinking, perhaps there could be a calendar tab that could be updated-- like a quest paper, but only for events.

The outline would probably look like:
Event Name: [Person would obviously put their name here]
Event owner:[Whoever runs said event/is in charge]
Time:[obvious]
Place:[obvious]
Possible Prizes:[A list of prizes would follow here, including various information regarding it]
Event Information:[A description of the event, why or who for, and other miscellaneous stuff]

I am not sure if this should be attained like a quest paper, or if it would be a calendar that can just be updated by someone. I find it would be a lot easier to find information, and advertising, I think would be easier too.

And how would you determine who had access to editing this document?

I would suggest the best option is to organize with someone who has clickies access to put up and maintain a calender in a public place, such as the GoE or MDP. Its simpler, and doesn't require Mur or the other coders to take time from other projects.

Or there's always the forum calender? That requires very little effort, presuming of course it's about things clashing, rather than advertising as well (which I be no issue with)

Otherwise, yeah, what Kyphis said

Yeah, right at the top;

MagicDuel Browser Game | Forums | Members | [b]CALENDER [/b]| Picture Gallery

You've got a personal one, and a public one, the public one displays all the member birthdays as well, user-added events (I believe) have to get approved by mods, so tell one of us if you add something, and appears alongside the birthdays when the date comes up

I do not think that using the forum calendar would be a good idea for advertising, and therefore, easily stating when something will happen.

Of course, it will state the DAY OF when the event will happen, however, how many people actually bother looking at the actual calendar in the forum? My suggestion, would probably be to have a little side panel with: "Upcoming events" which, if clicked, will give a page to the calendar with all the necessary information.

But this is stepping into wookie territory, and it all depends on what he thinks on that.

Edit:
I just looked at the forum lay out, and this could be placed beneath the calendar that is above the "Recently added topics" thingy.

Edited by Curiose

• Root Admin

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1295554880' post='77782']
And how would you determine who had access to editing this document?I would suggest the best option is to organize with someone who has clickies access to put up and maintain a calender in a public place, such as the GoE or MDP. Its simpler, and doesn't require Mur or the other coders to take time from other projects.
[/quote]

I agree with this idea, It would be pretty simple to have a clicky that would allow people to add events and such, or one that someone updats based on who sends them pms. I dont really think this is an issue that needs to bother mur or rendril.

Because its merely another thing to be "lazy" I personally feel quests and events should be advertised by the person, so that they have to do some extra work. Not have a list where they are all avalible, It gives it a little more reward as you have worked for the people visiting. It doesnt take too much to post on mood panel and contact people.

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1295585519' post='77795']
I do not think that using the forum calendar would be a good idea for advertising, and therefore, easily stating when something will happen. Of course, it will state the DAY OF when the event will happen, however, how many people actually bother looking at the actual calendar in the forum? My suggestion, would probably be to have a little side panel with: "Upcoming events" which, if clicked, will give a page to the calendar with all the necessary information. But this is stepping into wookie territory, and it all depends on what he thinks on that.Edit:I just looked at the forum lay out, and this could be placed beneath the calendar that is above the "Recently added topics" thingy.
[/quote]

I have absoletly no idea what you are talking about by "placying it beneath the calendar that is above Recently added topics" The forum works in a specific way which im not entirely sure you are familar of. Please be a little more clear.

What do you want placed below the current calender?

or a forum section might help? I want suggestions for the forum so you are always welcome to give them, even if they cant be implemented

Edited by Chewett

Sorry.

I'm kind of like a bug that's been hit by a car on the windshield-- all over the place.

I was thinking of having a small box with a list of events and their date to the side of the forum, beneath where the calender is that is to the right of all the threads.

I vaguely remember a forum or two having that implemented, unless it's just a personal feature, I don't know, but, by clicking it, you would be able to see all the events with a description of them and such.
As for having a new forum section dedicated to it, wouldn't it kind of be another: "Oh, I have to go diving into the forums to find a specific event."?

Its not problematically to use forum calendar for events. The server time is GMT+2 as I know, so it seems that there isn't any problem with the time zones cause all events in game are coordinated around ST.

The most difficult thing will be players to get used reading forum calendar regularly.

Why to find hot water when is simple as it is?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1295593299' post='77799']
Sorry. I'm kind of like a bug that's been hit by a car on the windshield-- all over the place. I was thinking of having a small box with a list of events and their date to the side of the forum, beneath where the calender is that is to the right of all the threads. I vaguely remember a forum or two having that implemented, unless it's just a personal feature, I don't know, but, by clicking it, you would be able to see all the events with a description of them and such. As for having a new forum section dedicated to it, wouldn't it kind of be another: "Oh, I have to go diving into the forums to find a specific event."?
[/quote]

Using a Forum - If it was well organised, and someone wanted to keep an eye on that forum then you can have each topic be closed and moved once they have done, meaning that only upcoming topics would be there, this would mean that there is much less chance of two events being schedualed on the same time, And would allow a central place for people to find the topics. Espically if the threads are all laid out in a similar manor "[time][day] - [name]" then they wouldnt even need to look in the topics, i cant imagine many events are on at once so i would only think at max 10 topics, but most of the time there would only be a few ones there

Using the Calender - Iv been looking at a calender recent events hook (something that shows the recent events on the front page) and the only one i have found is one that will severly lag the forum up, so will not be installing it

Using the calender would allow easy viewing of the events and such, because if you put them in the calender ([url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=2&m=&y="]Lectures, Debates and Meetings[/url]) then you can see it easier at a glance.

again it would require the user to look for it, Which i agree with more than having it pop up and such, because then it makes it easier to spam people with events and you have to do some work to advertise.