Advice on Creating an Avatar

I decided to mess around and sketch an idea I had for an avatar. I'm really new to this game, so I was looking for some advice on how to make this better. I know I still need to make it translucent and I probably need to clean up some linework. Any other suggestions, thoughts? Am I on the right track?

Concept: The Master of Light and Shadow

[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/ThrawnFett/MD%20Avatars/masterLS.jpg[/img]

Edited by Burns

Avatars shouldn't have a background to them, so the shading around the figure would have to get erased when editing I guess (no idea whatsoever how the editing programs work)

I know you said about cleaning up the linework, but a bit more detail maybe as well? I like the hand that's on show, but the feet look a little blank in comparison. No idea what the orb thing is either, and a little dark overall.

XD I feel mean saying a long list, I do like the general idea though, and I think you do have some skill with a pencil, just needs a little refining to fit with the theme of MD

Above is ofc all my opinion, and I'm no artist, if people disagree, PLEASE say so.

Avatars can have a background, yet sometimes it can be tricky to make it so it's also translucent.
It depends on which program you use.

Otherwise, I agree with Grido.
It is a very good start, but if you refine it a little more, it can be better.

Maybe you could try to blur the shade a litttle more? It stops a little sharp in my opinion.

For the orb: try to make the lines as straight as possible, it should look better then...
+ make the arm visible behind the light.

Now, you Do have pencil skills, keep drawing, trying, experimenting!

I like drawing man...super cool shading...the problem is that when you put background shadows....and convert it to greyscale and alpha, the background might not look good with the MD background, so instead of adding background to entire pic..you can add shadow towards the ground.

-rider

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1311058759' post='88237']
Avatars shouldn't have a background to them, so the shading around the figure would have to get erased when editing I guess (no idea whatsoever how the editing programs work)

I know you said about cleaning up the linework, but a bit more detail maybe as well? I like the hand that's on show, but the feet look a little blank in comparison. No idea what the orb thing is either, and a little dark overall.

XD I feel mean saying a long list, I do like the general idea though, and I think you do have some skill with a pencil, just needs a little refining to fit with the theme of MD

Above is ofc all my opinion, and I'm no artist, if people disagree, PLEASE say so.
[/quote]

I added the background mostly because the area between his arms looked really strange as white. I'm thinking about changing his back arm to be bent so that the elbow is visible there instead, so I'll probably get rid of the background. And I hate drawing feet. :( I'll probably try to make them look more shoe-like, but every time I try it, it tends to look bad.

And the orb is supposed to just be a ball of light. Hence the lack of detail in it.

[quote name='Prince Marvolo' timestamp='1311072848' post='88257']
Avatars can have a background, yet sometimes it can be tricky to make it so it's also translucent.
It depends on which program you use.

Otherwise, I agree with Grido.
It is a very good start, but if you refine it a little more, it can be better.

Maybe you could try to blur the shade a litttle more? It stops a little sharp in my opinion.

For the orb: try to make the lines as straight as possible, it should look better then...
+ make the arm visible behind the light.

Now, you Do have pencil skills, keep drawing, trying, experimenting!
[/quote]

My biggest issue with adding the arm behind the light is that I'm going for a "blinding light" feel for it. So, you wouldn't be able to see it. But I might try something faint and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm hoping to trace it and fix a few details later today.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I uploaded an avatar to sell to the store. It got approved and is instead sitting in my vault. The only place I can see to "return" it to the store only give 1 credit (where the option in upload screen says 3 credits). I know I selected the right option when I uploaded it.

Am I missing something here? Or did it just get put in the wrong place?

Ann. 1446 - [2010-04-23 17:03:19 - Alpha 9]
Low quality avatars will be from now on sent to personal vault when accepted, without a credit reward. You can discard them so they turn up in the shop in exchange for 1 credit. This is so because low quality avatars affect MD image but at the same time if you want to use your own art for an avy you should do so. Only good quality avatars will be accepted in exchange for the 3credits shop price.

• 2 weeks later...