[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]friends[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]... what is [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]the best way to [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]get a good [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]picture and after [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]a good scan [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]to [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]be [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]transparent[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]in doing [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]a good [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]avatar and [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]how to make [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]noticeable [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]shading[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]? [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]greetings[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by gonzalocsdf95

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]I do not want [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]to learn to use [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]GIMP[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]...[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]I want [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]to know what the [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]best technique [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]to [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]draw [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]for the [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]avatar [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]as [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]well [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]note [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]that the shading[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]...[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by gonzalocsdf95

Lines get broken when they are too light, so the lighter parts are seen as a background.
As Shadowseeker said, using darker/continious lines helps a lot

For the shading: sometimes the transparency stops when the shading begins, because the program sees that as a darker spot, and not as background. I used to be able to fix it with Photoshop using Ctrl+1 or Ctrl+2 (Photoshop CS3) - Then, the program sees it as 'taking all white, and make that transparent' as opposed to 'the background stops at that line'
I havn't been able to do that with Gimp though.
I also tried to use the tool 'set transparent color' in Microsoft Publisher, but that doesn't work very well either.

So for me, Photoshop was the best program to make an image gradually transparent without ruining the image too much.

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]shadowseeker [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]thanks [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]for making [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]me understand my [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]need[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by gonzalocsdf95

Usually something similar to photoshop is needed to help with transparency. If there is shading involved, there is a particular technique that I use with the tools in CS3. The tools aren't much different in the newer versions either, but give me a moment and I'll find my thread and put it in with this post.

[quote][url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/6979-avatar-editing-tutorial-for-photoshop/page__hl__%2Bphotoshop+%2Btutorial__fromsearch__1"]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/6979-avatar-editing-tutorial-for-photoshop/page__hl__%2Bphotoshop+%2Btutorial__fromsearch__1[/url][/quote]

As for the problem of breaking lines, I'm not sure about the scanner your using, but there is a way to play with the resolution of the image so that more of the image shows up. Also, if your scanner software doesn't have an editing program in it to correct things like this, you may want to consider searching the web for one that's compatible. The editor program can be used to lighten or darken parts of the image.

Of course you can do this in photoshop as well, but you get the best results with avatars and items when you use both scanner editing programs, and something like photoshop.

I can dig around on the web for a bit to find something that is a bit more user friendly than GIMP, and hope that I find luck for you.

Another option is to attach the original scan to a message and send it to me via PM, and I can try to work through the issue you're having.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

:D well ya dont necessarily need pro image editing program, mine skills in paint beated shadow's skills in ps like 2 years ago exactly on this matter :P

but yeah ps or some other editing tool that comes with scanner makes it much easier, with ps it shouldnt be any trouble, and gimp is best image editin tool out there and its free but yeah it is a bit more complicated to use

idk how scanner itself would influence in bad img scan, never had any problems with mine so idk

general thing ya would want to do is to play with contrast a bit, i dont think there would be anythin more to do, but if there are problems ya might want to try turnin it into grayscale and then adjustin its levels, personally me didnt had many drawings myself and didnt needed to make transparent bg for them (except that one occasion when me did it in paint), but this should be how it goes

since me assumes ya will be usin adobe ps

grayscale is found at [b]Image - Mode - Grayscale[/b]
to adjust its levels go to [b]Image - Adjustments - Levels[/b] (moving sliders one towards another decreases span of color tones and that way it increases contrast so to speak)
and contrast is also found in [b]Image - Adjustments - Brightness/Contrast[/b]

although ya already got advices on drawing techniques, which aint mine field really, me still thinks that regardless of drawing technique its always possible to pull this up correctly with computer tools

so play with it a bit, hope it helps

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...