Spells on Clickables

Ivorak

Now that we've a simple mechanic to transfer spells by memory stones, perhaps those stones could transfer charges to items and clickables as well as other people. Once spells are stored in a clickable, their casting could be triggered by opening the clickable or completing an action within.

Possible use cases include:
- I could store a locate spell (complete with parameters) so that people could find me easily (perhaps require a passcode before the spell goes off).
- A prayer word entered into the clickable dialog box would provide healing, if enough charges were available
- A riddle answered incorrectly would lock a player in place using the movelock spell. (This would be improved if certain actions could also trigger a PM to the scripter's inbox).
- Etcetera

It turns out that Mur suggested this before. But now with the concept of memory stones in play (especially the notion of the transfer of limited casts) this is something that should be pushed forward.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1256728278' post='45941'][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Updated todo list :[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- creature transfers[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- item transfers[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- check for fight counts against a player[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- check for letters in a location[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- check for creatures[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- add name of editor to the item entry[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- hide item entries without activation words of users inactive over x days[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ideas that will remain for later:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- pseudo SQL to handle data in arrays like they are a database[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- fights triggered by script, trackable by script[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- ability to give heat to the objects[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- alt check[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- item and creature transfer history logs[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ideas for when i will find a good way to prevent abuse:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- wp awarding by script[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- magic [/font][/color][color=red][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]spells[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] triggered by script[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- illusions triggered by script[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- ability to store creatures, items and more on a clickable[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- add functions that allow user vars changes, teleportation, item creation and more drastic actions.[/font][/color][/quote]

From what I recall speaking to him about it, probably around the time of that post, it'd have to be put into the script (his side) with exclusion/allowances for the spells that shouldn't or should be able to be cast from it.

Maybe make a list of spells you think should be allowed through the clickables?
Personally I wouldn't have any WP spells allowed (makes them seem cheap), Ban, Unban, a few others as well I think, but a list is always good.

I'm just as confused as Pipstickz. I don't think it would lessen the value of spells at all, because one (according to my proposal) would have to load them into memory stones (thus losing some casts) and transfer the casts from the stones onto the clickable. There would be no extra spells (although a small bonus would be nice, and might make sense, considering how places and memories interact) to be cast by the clickable other than those put there by the scripter.

Edited by Ivorak

WP spells = any spell obtainable from the Wish Shop.

I had in my head the "original" idea, of it just being scriptable, the person writes in the code when heat > 300, allow cast of x spell or such, which was why I was saying about allowed/not allowed spells.
Unless you had fixed locations that had this (that has it's own issues) as in, uneditable etc, then you would find abuses. For instance, I code take_all stones without even mentioning anything of the fact just because I wanted to cause trouble. You'd also have to take heat from the player, cos otherwise you start casting spells for free.

I knew what you meant by WP spells, but I do not see how it cheapens them. If anything, it adds value through giving spells more diverse applications.

I believe the point of Ivorak's suggestion is that you add spells to your own item, rather than taking stones from others, so I don't see how you would take stones from people, unless I am still misunderstanding you.

Heat could be dealt with in a similar way to the clickable mentioned here: [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/11715-we-want-them-back-declare-war-to-death/page__view__findpost__p__104537"]http://magicduel.inv...post__p__104537[/url], where heat can be raised through donations or your own efforts and stored in the clickable, or possibly through dedicated items such as a heat jar that can be linked to a clickable, and if there is not enough heat for a spell that is deemed necessary to the experience of a quest, the associated event can be changed to say "Insufficient heat, try again or donate to continue". I don't think it's unreasonable for quest creators to ask for heat donations, and I would personally be glad to help, if this is a feasible idea.

Obviously there could be people who do things simply to mess with others, or out of spite, or whatever, but that can be dealt with through public opinion and awareness, or possibly the court:
(From the WPShop description of Edit all clickables)
[quote]Abuse of this feature by mistake or stupid use will get your feature _removed_, abuse by intention will get you _baned_.[/quote]

Edited by Pipstickz