Evolution of the Realm

Miq

Hei,

I have been quite silent and distant for the last year as some of you know but i have been here reading, observing almost every day.

I have 957 active days now and i also did my first shop reset today so now i'm thinking why did i spent all that money. In the sense of future what is the point of that.

So, to the point i have allways loved rules and regulations but going over the changes on md in my head i keep wondering if it has gone to far with it. I mean i came here after the time of RPC's the GM and so on. And every time someone talks of something like a GM they get their head bashed in with the ever so horrible Shoebs (probably wrote that wrong).

But that is just one example that you base your judgement on. Same goes with the RPC's surely they were not all that bad (i don't think even 30% of them were particularly awful). This does not mean i want any of them back but i would not object against that. These are just some examples. We by now have lost usability of most MD due to Visc. or locks on the gates (i know they were there before but honestly it was easier to get to necro 2 years ago then now same goes for GG.) We lost kings, mur, gifts for less than very active, GGG, dojo, drachs, angiens, wp's.

Anyway i have a habit of speaking nonsense if i talk to long :) so i'll end here and alltho you can all comment this post is primarly meant for stirring up some minds.

Miq

Edited by Miq

Once again people seem to have a dislike for change...

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have 957 active days now and i also did my first shop reset today so now i'm thinking why did i spent all that money. In the sense of future what is the point of that.[/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When I buy credits, I do not just think about the impact it will have on myself, but also the game. Yes, I know that once I leave the game my credits will no longer be any use for myself, but they will have allowed me to enjoyed the game more when I played and will have helped the game keep running.[/font][/color]

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Same goes with the RPC's surely they were not all that bad (i don't think even 30% of them were particularly awful).[/quote][/font][/color]

RPC role was only really implemented to allow a certain, dedicated few, to create quests and fulfil their role slightly better. I believe it was Mur that said "[color=#000000][font=Georgia,][background=rgb(249, 240, 213)]Oh, and i almost forgot, for those that want RPC, please note that you get nothing more than your nice dots in the playername and some unimportant abilities to help you create quests for others, nothing more."- [/background][/font][/color][color=#ff0000][font=Georgia,][background=rgb(249, 240, 213)]Ann. 699 - [2009-03-01 00:08:09 - Alpha 8][/background][/font][/color]

As the system progressed the need for RPC's was no longer there.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][quote]I mean i came here after the time of RPC's the GM and so on. And every time someone talks of something like a GM they get their head bashed in with the ever so horrible Shoebs (probably wrote that wrong).[/quote][/font][/color]

The "Bashing your head in" about the GM post is not as it seems. There are a few that may still be rather angry and annoyed with Shoeps, but most will be trying to fill you in on the little information they know.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We lost kings, mur, gifts for less than very active, GGG, dojo, drachs, angiens, wp's.[/quote][/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The kings and queens will return when they do, mur is still very much the leading figure in MD(although he has deligated some of his power and decisions with the council), the GGG is gone because [b]the people[/b] wanted it to be gone, the dojo is still there(merely with another name and ethos), Drachorns are also still around, yes a little rarer to obtain but still there(likewise with Angiens) and WP's are gone? I don't know where you are looking but I see an influx of them, rather than a lack of.[/color][/font]

[b]Once again. [color=#ff0000]Change happens.[/color] People arrive and people leave. One tool is broken, another is created.[/b]

~Sasha

Please do not take small pits of what i said. I was not here in the time of RPC's and GM don't blame me for not wanting a change.

These are just examples. i have atleast 10 ideas that i'd love to have implemented but i keep my mouth shut because in the end they are just restrictions upon restrictions.

Edit:

Also i'm not against all that has changed in my time. Ressuces and tools for example are wonderful. Just the overall tendency feels to be towards making it a "second life"

Edited by Miq

[quote name='Miq' timestamp='1344271897' post='119447']
Please do not take small pits of what i said. I was not here in the time of RPC's and GM don't blame me for not wanting a change.
[/quote]

Firstly they are not small "pits" at what you said. I am giving you answers to your statements.Secondly, if you were not here at the time RPC's and the GM were around, how could you possibly know if it was a good or bad idea to have them and whether they should be reimplemented or not? Hm?

[quote name='Miq' timestamp='1344271897' post='119447']
i have atleast 10 ideas that i'd love to have implemented but i keep my mouth shut because in the end they are just restrictions upon restrictions.
[/quote]

Don't we all? You are always free to share your ideas, as am I and the rest of the MD population, but just because one person shouts, doesn't mean everyone agrees with it.
Show us your ideas and push them forward if you believe in them. If you aren't willing to share them due to "restrictions upon restrictions", then you obviously aren't willing to fight for them. Which in turn makes it your own fault that your ideas aren't heard.

~Sasha

Edited by Sasha Lilias

I must admit that i'm not good at expressing myself mostly because i want you do think not argue or agree with me.

I'm not blaming anyone, nor demanding change. Just talking what i see. Feel free do delete the entire post if it's to incomprehensible. Or ask why this or that, maybe you will change my mind maybe i will yours.

Actually, I think I kinda understand Miq..

The game has changed loads.... And loads...

The MD I joined was Unfair. Very unfair. Unbalanced, Kinda like how our real life is. There were people with more power and there were people who were weak. dst seemed like such a bully, people used to hate her. There was Shoeps, there was Jonn, and there was stormrunner, there was a very promiscuous mcvitie, a very cheerful Yami, a very ambitious Khalazdad, A very controversial Logan. Loreroot guards were important landmarks. Drachorn owners were worshipped. People used to make Pacts with the MRs to win the heads. RPCs were arrogant (well deserved in a few cases). There was an adventure log. Wispoints were of great value. Items were rare and precious. One gold coin in your inventory meant you were rich. Quests were simple. Bare minimum coding. Rules in the Dojo were actually followed and calyx was respected for her role (mainly by noobs). There was an Esmerelda and there was a pub. There was a Mur who gathered people to give speeches. It was more of a realm with a god/emperor (whichever suits your whims)

Then times changed.

MD became a democracy. The mordern day democracy. Meaning one not following the textbook version. Our god went poof. And Constantine put up a council. The bible was written and people made a religion out of it. ( not offence to religion. Its just basic comparison ). People decided what was to be put and what was to be kicked out. They broke the walls and rebuilt them. REsources were exploited. Material was made. RPCs got their royal butts kicked out. Common masses took over the government. Officials were made. Some corrupt. Some honest. Some practical. There were people with super powers because they could afford more. There were people who stayed in the aristrocracy because of their past histories and legacies. There were people who didnt like change and gave up. There were people who couldnt catch up with the pace and dissappeared.

And then people complained.

In an attempt to make things better and 'fair' everything became limited, evrything became too easy, Nothing was an achienvement anymore because atleast 20 more people had the same thing. All this in an attempt to balance the game.

And people complained more. Because people can never be satisfied :P

Ever heard old people recollect their times sasha? 'In our times, we used to write letters and pump water from the water pumps in buckets. We heard the world war over the radio. We used to read newspapers and there were oh so few advts. I could get a whole meal for a dollar!' Well... People do dislike change. Because what may seem good to you, or be for your good maybe very bad for them. MD was much simpler in those days when you were mcvitie... Some of us remember those days fondly.

It's not that I don't understand, nor agree with some of the points that Miq makes, it's that I choose to accept the change and hold the past as fond memories.

I remember when people with 400 attack seemed to be the strongest players ever. I remember when wish points were not even around, nor the dojo. I remember a small pub run by Ailith and Windy "The Wind and Rain", far before the DQ pub had even been thought about.
I could go on and on about what I remember and how it's changed, but the truth is. Everything will change, people will become accustomed to "New MD" and then start expecting even more change, to benefit them (as you pointed out).

So yes, I totally agree with you in that aspect and that "achievements" have become far more achievable and far from an actual achievement. For example, heads contests used to be a real competition, where one would have to work as hard as they could to keep their heads and gain scores. Nowadays we have people winning by accident due to the fact no one is participating, and when they do they just hide and sit in one place for days.

All I am trying to say is that no matter what we do, change will happen, and sometimes we just have to learn to accept it, no matter how much we dislike it. It I had my way I'd happily go back to when wishpoints were extremely rare, certain creatures didn't exist and certain features weren't even thought of. But, unfortunately, if that were to happen then the current players would probably do as we have done in the past. Moan about unfairness or lack of equal chances.

It's hard to make my thoughts on this subject make sense at the moment as I'm very tired, but I'm more than happy to have a discussion about it in game sometime. A good reminisce never hurt anyone...

~Sasha

Edited by Sasha Lilias

My point is... no matter how much the game'll change, the majority wll always moan, and 90% of the moaners will be noobs. Accepting change is one part of the game. Miq has accepted it. Reflecting on whether the change was for good or bad is what Miq is attempting to ask. Am I right Miq?

[quote name='Nimrodel' timestamp='1344281020' post='119454']
My point is... no matter how much the game'll change, the majority wll always moan, and 90% of the moaners will be noobs. Accepting change is one part of the game. Miq has accepted it. Reflecting on whether the change was for good or bad is what Miq is attempting to ask. Am I right Miq?
[/quote]

Hm, I agree with you completely. And if it was just that he is asking, then I understand more now.

~Sasha

What has happened to the dynamics of knowledge?

As I read the description, MagicDuel is foremost a teaching system and an opportunity to grow.

Unless that part has changed, I don't see what the concern is all about.

It probably has changed, but just to set a framework...You can also disagree with the framework...

(Goodness, I really come off as arrogant, don't I? *hides behind a rock*)