Searching

DARK DEMON

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]It's currently difficult to use the Search feature because of the keyword requirement of 4 characters. Not only does this create problems for finding members, eg: Tal, but you can't even find threads with "MD" or others similar stuff in them just cause [/color][/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]th[/color][/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]e keyword has less than 4 characters...[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]Can the 4-character requirement please be removed?[/color][/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000] [/color][/font]

But then we could find Mur! :P

I've run into the situation a few times searching for things like "heat", but there are ways around it with different search terms, or using quotes, or multiple keywords. Good suggestion though, but seeing as some other forums I use have the same sort of "feature", I think it may be difficult to remove here on this one, as it's there for a reason.

Never hurts to ask though! :D

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]Other examples:[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]1) You can't find the thread, "You know you've been on MD too much when..." or other similar threads[/color][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]2) You can't find BFH, J-D, etc...[/color][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]3) Loads more..... [/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000](You can still type "Muratus" to find Mur :P)[/color][/font]

The problem with being able to search for fewer characters than 4, is that you would then have pretty much everything be returned in the search results.

Search MD, and you wouldn't just get you talking about MD, but also any word that includes that couplet of letters.

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1355399531' post='128102']
The problem with being able to search for fewer characters than 4, is that you would then have pretty much everything be returned in the search results.

Search MD, and you wouldn't just get you talking about MD, but also any word that includes that couplet of letters.
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]I thought about that, but you can choose to search only in titles...[/color][/font]

Another option is the search feature at the top of the MD page. Not only does it look more like MD, it lacks the character limit for search terms, and it indexes the Archives and player pages as well as the forum. Features particular to the forum search (posts by a certain member, within a range of dates, in a given subforum..) can be compensated for easily enough (to find posts by someone rather than just about them, include part of their signature in your search; include the date/name of subforum/etc.)

[quote name='Zyrxae' timestamp='1355405215' post='128104']
Another option is the search feature at the top of the MD page. Not only does it look more like MD, it lacks the character limit for search terms, and it indexes the Archives and player pages as well as the forum. Features particular to the forum search (posts by a certain member, within a range of dates, in a given subforum..) can be compensated for easily enough (to find posts by someone rather than just about them, include part of their signature in your search; include the date/name of subforum/etc.)
[/quote]

[color=#006400][font=comic sans ms,cursive]What search feature is this? And where?[/font][/color]

[quote]Admin CP --> System --> System Settings --> Search Setup

<b>Fulltext searching</b> is enabled by default for those using traditional, MySQL searching. You should only disable this in non-English characters sets which do not support fulltext searching. It is important to note that if you do not use fulltext searching your search queries will run <i>extremely</i> slow and will be very server intensive. The <b>minimum search word</b> length can be changed here but often MySQL will override IP.Board on this setting and force a certain word length limit (default is 4) depending on your server configuration.[/quote]

[url="http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/documentation/administrator-control-panel/system-tab/system-settings/system-search-setup-r77"]http://community.inv...earch-setup-r77[/url]

Don't ask me if that means you can do less than 4 letters or not, MySQL is and will always be gibberish to me.

Edited by Burns

as a solution is there a way to ask for searching with inclutiding blank space characters ? it would enable still respection the 4 letters min limit ands search for shorter words

like to find DST search "DST " , and still discreminating with garbage results like DSTT for exemple

right now i tried it it dont work, but if one can make it work ....

Edited by Tom Pouce

• 5 months later...