Suggestions to counter depletion (and a bit of off topic)

lone wolf pup

True, I (me) can discard them. I even can complain. But I cannot complain on all proposals. That would just make my point being discarded as always against ~ doesn't matter.

So, sometimes I post what I think it is overpowered, sometimes I post a counter proposal and let others decide which is best.

The only difference between my proposals and ... other's is that I am in the middle of it, I am involved. I am the one to be used against. So I know that smth is unfair or if it is overpowered. And if you don't believe me ... search the forum. There is even proposed : jail time / killing and even ban for ppl depleting.

So, what I am different from a stat grinder that attacks totally at random ? That might be difficult for some to see, but I don't deplete at random while grinders disregard to the other's well being (and push them to neg stats). With me (and most of the resource grinders I know in MD) you have a chance (to gather something for yourself) if you are in time at the location and if you are dedicated. All you have to do is find your niche.

And then ... why should I get banned while the others can do whatever they want ? (Especially when for some all they do is complain and never work for it) Just because I worked for it ? No thank you.

It can't just be that the suggestions are overpowered... that's simple to solve, you reduce timers, casts, make it more difficult to obtain... there are many ways to nerf an overpowered ability. But that first suggestions was simply blown out of the water, as if the concept itself wasn't viable. At least, that's what it looked like to me..

Sure, you can "nerf" the overpowered stuff. But having less casts of jail , or less time baned or less time in a dream (you don't want to participate) ... I don't find it less overpowered. If you don't agree ... you should try it a few times.

Edited by No one

- player A suffers from one of the following effects (take your pick):

--- inability to collect resource in question from land X for that day (magical effect = some barrier of sorts)

--- jailed for 1 day, a few hours... whatever sounds fair (realistic effect = you get caught, you're brought to justice)

Notice that the first option was the very one you proposed. :p It's laid out that way = inability to collect from land, instead of inability to collect from scene because it's thought as a land tool. 1 day from an entire land does kind of sound overpowered. Whatever's overpowered can be reduced. :p

So if you scrape off the jail option, what else is overpowered? :p It even gives you a fighting chance: collect and run before you get caught, lol.

It even gives you a fighting chance: collect and run before you get caught, lol.

I read it like this : I want only me to collect from here so ... I will use the tool on the others.

Sure. Seems ok,  make 2 -3 items for each land to be used against a player for a certain resource. The duration ... could be until next resource regeneration + 2 hours (lets say). The cooldown identical or similar.

That seems pretty good and fair.

Well .. you'll have limited items and limited resources (GG has only water , 1 place with herbs , 1 with stones) but we've got friends, we're determined to get that water ...

So, you will ask for a smaller cool down. And then it becomes overpowered.

See where I am going ?

On the other hand : do you think that I have that much time to run around ? I'd do TCs / HCs / BHCs if I'd had it.

Not a smaller cool down. I figured it could store multiple so called perpetrators it would activate for. If it's to use a cool down, then perhaps have separate instances of cool down for each target it stores?

Duration doesn't even need to be too long. Folks would just have to learn when to use it, a.k.a. figure the patterns of depleters. :p

See, already powering up. One item to use on infinite targets all day long. That is overpowered.

And for what ? Something you don't use.

Because one said : oh I want 2 water right now. I will ask / rent a bucket and go collect in my land because i know a place with 60 water. Oh YEAH, I can make tea.

Then cries and cries as it is not fair as someone beat him to it.

Well, it is called planning. Plan ahead to grab/rent a tool, plan ahead to have access to resources, plan ahead to see when the resources are available.

You are not the only one to rented  a Memory Stone collector for a full week just to find all the stone depleted.

Edited in:

See, already powering up. One item to use on infinite targets all day long. That is overpowered.

Multiple, not infinite. And multiple can be adjusted to reflect MD's population at the time. Perhaps even coded to set its own values in accordance to the number of current active gatherers.

And when multiple depleters with no purpose arise, what happens? Say MD gets an influx of people, and several of them decide to take care of everything.

Several = different time zones. They each grab a Herbs Basket (since so many are available) and get to work, keeping everything at 0 all the time. The situation is quite possible. What does one do if they want to get herbs but hit this scenario?

1. Wait for resources to reach 1 and quickly run to deplete themselves? Depleters making depleters...

2. Prevent them from getting the tools? Sounds interesting.. would require some planning, the involvement of a few players with a bit of power - move locks, teleports and so on - so that there would be enough time to get all the tools on other players; players they could trust, because it won't help if they can be bought = give them a basket, see how they sell it to a depleter. Sounds like a resource war to me. May have some potential, can be fought on both fronts. However, I wonder how long it'll take for such a group (protective) to form, as well as how long they could keep it up.

--- First of all, the number of players with this anti-depletion resolution needs to be high enough to ensure that not even one basket reaches the other faction, since 1 is enough to continue keeping every scene at 0

--- Their time zones need to be diverse for obvious reasons

--- Their cooperation and planning need to be flawless (both between different and similar time zones)

--- Their schedules need to collide (main reason why their number needs to be high is because this schedule collision rarely happens)

--- Rinse and repeat

--- Hope that depleters don't get reinforcements

How many of those conditions can be simultaneously sustained for a prolonged period of time?

Edited in: I suppose I could have high expectations in this regard from a group bent on keeping resources at the optimum performance level, but it's still not a reliable solution, considering how many things need to go right, all of which are susceptible to unexpected interruptions by RL.

Also, I'm not the one finding stones depleted, I'm the one hauling them, this week. (ends today) :P And I can sincerely say that, were I on the other side of the barricade, I'd hate myself terribly. :D

Edited by Myth

As I said, already powering up

Edited in:

Multiple, not infinite. And multiple can be adjusted to reflect MD's population at the time. Perhaps even coded to set its own values in accordance to the number of current active gatherers.

And when multiple depleters with no purpose arise, what happens? Say MD gets an influx of people, and several of them decide to take care of everything.

Several = different time zones. They each grab a Herbs Basket (since so many are available) and get to work, keeping everything at 0 all the time. The situation is quite possible. What does one do if they want to get herbs but hit this scenario?

How many of those conditions can be simultaneously sustained for a prolonged period of time?

Edited in: I suppose I could have high expectations in this regard from a group bent on keeping resources at the optimum performance level, but it's still not a reliable solution, considering how many things need to go right, all of which are susceptible to unexpected interruptions by RL.

Also, I'm not the one finding stones depleted, I'm the one hauling them, this week. (ends today) :P And I can sincerely say that, were I on the other side of the barricade, I'd hate myself terribly. :D

The group actions ... those are interesting and that idea can be enhanced.

The item idea .. hmm, if there is JUST one such item ... it can be handled. Could be ok, could be fun. More then 1 item and the entire MD population could be prevented to harvest anything ... indefinitely.

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't read the full topic, just expressing thoughts on what I have picked up so far, feel free to ignore.

• If you can get it to identify who is a citizen and who is not (active citizenship instead of land loyalty for this) you could have it store one depleter identity per citizen who is collecting the relevant resource in their land. This way, lands that don't even use their resources can't retaliate.
  • Tool should record all depleter identities.
  • If there are more depleters than active harvesters, the tool stops recording new depleters.
  • Players should not be able to see the list of recorded players.
  • Activation should require heat.
  • Activation should only be possible in the relevant land to the tool.
  • Activation should affect all recorded players in the same location at activation.
  • When activated, all recorded names are cleared.
  • Cooldown should be at minimum an hour.
  • When activated, all players on the item's list are moved to the land gate, have their AP set to zero, and have the cooldown timers for the relevant collection tools set to a cooldown equal to the land tool's cooldown. Citizens who are affected have their collection tool cooldowns set to twice the land tool's cooldown, as punishment should be worse for breaking their own land's regulations.
  • If the person activating the tool is also on the depleters list, instead only they are affected by the tool.
Edited by Kyphis the Bard

Interesting but difficult to understand the activation part and the roles involved.

Anyway:

• If you can get it to identify who is a citizen and who is not (active citizenship instead of land loyalty for this) you could have it store one depleter identity per citizen who is collecting the relevant resource in their land. This way, lands that don't even use their resources can't retaliate.

Doesn't this favor the lands with the resources ... greatly ? I mean : if the depleter is from that land ... then what ?

Also, if you'd have payed attention:

- there are some rare occasions where you gather resources from the land where the tools are taken from.

- the resources are ... grouped in certain lands, they are not evenly distributed

- and most important is : time zone distribution of players - meaning that one can have all the fun in the morning and take all the resources while in the afternoon, there will be some that will keep activating the tool just for the fun of it.

Question: can I , from LotE activate the tool in ... GG for example ? :D that would make it fair