Chat Text Art - signup

Muratus del Mur

• Root Admin

According to the announcement about text art in chat, i am putting this topic up for signups. each participant can present 1 to 5 art pieces, made entirely out of characters, including the utf8 special chars. The will be scored publicly by vote.

Write here your playername, we will decide time of the event later to fit all (or in groups). Do not post the art here!
Do not copy from the internet...i know its tempting and hard to discover, but i will do efforts to catch you cheating, so try not to because punishment will be above contest scope.

rewards will be for best md integrated art, most original art, most difficult to realize and most beautiful, 4 rewards.

sponsorships are welcome, my reward will be that i will multiply any sponsorship (x2, x4 ..as i see needed), but if nobody sponsors, this contest will run without a reward.

PARTICIPANTS

Tom Pouce

SPONSORS (MULTIPLIED BY ME)

Nimrodel - 1 attack lock stone, 1 move lock stone. 1 toadspeak stone, 1 teleport to paper cabin stone, 1 locate stone, a pack of 20 memory stones, and 20 cups of tea for the quest.

UPDATES

- There is no fixed font size, you need to test and adapt to how md chat displays chars

- I will be waiting for a decent number of participants or this event will not happen

Edited by Muratus del Mur
updated participants list

Please use another initial char. it is difficult to use it with copy paste because the entire text will be copy paste and it makes it difficult to do 3 copy/paste for each line

and it fails when writing things like this:

'''@@#''''@@@@@+
''''@@@@@#@@+'''
''''''+@@@#@''''

These 3 lines should have same length in chat

Edited by No one

• Root Admin

"no one', the rules are as they are, they are same for all. If you can't easily copy paste some ascii art you find on the net is not my problem. If you would create it specially for this contest you wouldn't have such issues with the spacing. Also probably you misunderstood me, start and end your lines with that character, it does not matter what is between, so i really don't see how changing that character could affect anything at all.

MUr

i have try to make some and tested it in chat

there is an problem

its that you will need to put something (css thingy i think) such that chat use an fix wide typeset not an true type or other that are variable spacing

so that space taken by each character are same

right now its not same as if i do it in notepad before pasting (it dont make lines fit one on another depending of what is in an line)

░C    .   .   .i.   .     T░

░i         . 78@8    .   .e░

for exemple in notepad is exactly same  length

but here in forum and in chat its not same length

and i probably can make it looking good in "my chat" but if your brownswer is not with same kind of type set it may look ugly

Edited by Tom Pouce

What i meant is what Tom said

Please use another initial char. it is difficult to use it with copy paste because the entire text will be copy paste and it makes it difficult to do 3 copy/paste for each line

and it fails when writing things like this:

'''@@#''''@@@@@+
''''@@@@@#@@+'''
''''''+@@@#@''''

These 3 lines should have same length in chat

Because it looks like this :

2jac004.png

when the line 1 & 2 and 3 & 4  should have same length.

Please try to read and understand my posts.

Especially those written short and to the point for a specific person to read.

Edited by No one

• Root Admin

MUr

i have try to make some and tested it in chat

there is an problem

its that you will need to put something (css thingy i think) such that chat use an fix wide typeset not an true type or other that are variable spacing

so that space taken by each character are same

right now its not same as if i do it in notepad before pasting (it dont make lines fit one on another depending of what is in an line)

░C    .   .   .i.   .     T░

░i         . 78@8    .   .e░

for exemple in notepad is exactly same  length

but here in forum and in chat its not same length

and i probably can make it looking good in "my chat" but if your brownswer is not with same kind of type set it may look ugly

You are asking for fixed width characters, which notepad provides, which MD doesnt. Test things on MD, or set notepad to the same font MD uses.

when the line 1 & 2 and 3 & 4  should have same length.

See above comment for fixed width characters. ASCII art can still very successfully be done without fixed width characters, it also provides the added bonus that it makes it much harder to copy and paste from the Internet.

EDIT: This is going on the basis that Mur intentionally made it not fixed width, to prevent copying from the internet and make it more interesting.

Edited by Chewett

I sponsor that quest with 5 Spicy Pickle

If you don't know yet, if you are sponsoring a quest with a reward, you are not allowed to participate in it for winning any rewards. That was what the council had announced.

Ann. 2438 - [2012-12-05 10:11:15 - Stage 11]
New rule
To avoid further abuses, from now on, it's strictly forbidden for someone to participate in a quest they create or sponsor.

Edited by Nimrodel

oops! :wacko:

Id like to participate in that quest :(

i was not aware of that ruling

If it is permitted, i will remove my sponcering and keep my participation

and hope that someone else sponsor that quest :cool:

(that quest need sponsering to bring in participants)

Tom

Edited by Tom Pouce

I will sponsor 1 attack lock stone, 1 move lock stone. 1 toadspeak stone, 1 teleport to paper cabin stone, 1 locate stone, a pack of 20 memory stones, and 20 cups of tea for the quest. I know it's not much, but thats probably the best I can do. The distribution of rewards, I leave it to the discretion of the quest creator as he sees fit.

• Root Admin

I updated the initial post with participants and sponsor list

also, there is no fixed char width, as chewett pointed out. You need to check and experiment in md chat to find the best looking combination of characters, copy pasting from other ascii art sites is forbidden, and this lack of fixed width characters helps preventing people from copy pasting from other sources.

remember, the charcter to start and end your string should be (copy paste it from here)

Using utf8 characters opens a whole range of possibilities, you have there lines, corners, shapes and much much more, you could do very nice art with those, much better than simple characters.

I'm not good at this kind of things, so I decided to cheat. I made a .bmp to .txt converter a year ago or so. It basically took the average of the RGB values of the pixel and used that as a B/W comparisen. Then it took a character that has a density that represents that value.

I grabbed the old source code, and began to change some things. Soon I realized that it didn't work with the font size, as my characters in the .txt file only represents the density. So it was really hard to see what it was with a font size as big as 8. But I still want to show what the program can do, the link is below:

http://storenow.net/my/?f=1faf794b8a32aa2c4714eb8dbd736f46

(To view it correctly use the font "New Coerier" and set the font size to 2.)

If you want the source code or anything, just PM me. :)