About MagicDuel?

Many times I had myself in a situation where I was supposed to explain what was this thing I am playing.

What's MagicDuel all about? I usually got lost in my answers, making combination of terms that didn't sound as a homogenic whole, not being able to sway the person to dig up more about it.

Of course, every person should be approached separately as per his/her interests, but in case you're talking with someone unknown you need some universal description as a starting point.

I was thinking, why don't we work on some kind of a MD trailer? Doesn't have to be an actual video, can be just an amalgam of some pictures and text description (although it shouldn't be too lengthy).

What do you guys think, do you have the same opinion that we need this? Let's throw some thoughts on how to start this then.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

Text description could be:

MD a game where character is developed and minds explode through quests, ideas, and puzzles. Where does your story begin?

*shrugs* Or something like that if someone can figure out a better way to describe it.

The background could be a compiled pictures of shades or other creatures in the throne room or in front of a fort. Some sort of cut scene that would hold the ideal of an adventure.

Seems alright, but I am not talking about the kind of description found in MD's advertisement, short mottos on RPG score sites (like those found in free credits) and such.

I was looking more for a realistic and objective description of MagicDuel site. Some examples of what do we do around here, what can be found, etc.

No to poetic - yes to prose :)

Many times I had myself in a situation where I was supposed to explain what was this thing I am playing.

What's MagicDuel all about? I usually got lost in my answers, making combination of terms that didn't sound as a homogenic whole, not being able to sway the person to dig up more about it.

This.

I cannot find the video, but I think some trailer of MD is on youtube (and it was quite well done, considering the vast amount of things you would have to put into one). However, that trailer was kind of ”generic”. I mean, it doesnt make you see MD as very different from other mmorpgs (my opinion).

However (my second), I dont know if a better trailer CAN be made - I think it is very difficult (someone prove me wrong, please).

The only way I see a better trailer  is if it is somewhat split into ”sections”, where you would present the things you can do here - a section on combat, one on role-play, one on unlocking secrets and puzzles etc. Because this is what MagicDuel is all about - all those things.

Edited by TheRichMerchant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwkANDyGoqw

is this the video you mean, Merchant? I also think its well done, maybe we could do something similar with somebody actually telling things in background? always find those more fun to watch. Dividing into sections sounds great like: interaction, combat, creatures, ressources (and their use like tea ceremony for example) browsing around, research, questing.

Yes, this is the video. I knew someone would eventually post it here :D

I also think a narrator would be great. You dont have to explain too much, just to show the extent of the possibilities in MD. The fact that at first you dont really know what you can do seems (to me) to be an issue.

Edit: here is a negative review which supports the above idea and I will quote now: ”Dear lord, please tell me how to do stuff.” and also It just seems like a game that offers new players the chance to hang out with a bunch of people who are in on a joke but won't share that joke with new players.” 

source:http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/23/rise-and-shiny-recap-magicduel/

Edited by TheRichMerchant