Heat

Shadowseeker

I don't understand heat very much but here's a rudimentary explanation:

In MD creatures gain heat by fighting and players gain it by walking, saccing creats, eating cake. Heat is gained by performing actions. It's the manifestation of energy that has been used to do something. When you walk you expend the energy stored in a few action points to move from place to place, and that energy then becomes heat stored in your Elroin. When a creature does damage it gains heat equal to the number of vitality its target lost and you gain an equal amount. Heat is just another form of energy in MD.

edit: OH GOD WHY WAS IT IN COMIC SANS

Edited by Rophs

I really like this part of your definition.

It's the manifestation of energy that has been used to do something.

And while it is true that Heat is gained by actions, it can also be given to you, when you are a protector for example. Right now I can't think of a way to gain heat without any action or at least no action from someone/thing.

The most obvious answer to the forms of energy you mentioned would be Liquid Dust. Can you mention more?

I really like this part of your definition.

And while it is true that Heat is gained by actions, it can also be given to you, when you are a protector for example. Right now I can't think of a way to gain heat without any action or at least no action from someone/thing.

The most obvious answer to the forms of energy you mentioned would be Liquid Dust. Can you mention more?

Liquid dust itself isn't energy, but one can easily see the effects of energy acting upon it. There is some sort of force that gives LD energy allowing it to gravitate towards Deathmorrow. Perhaps said force is related to NC's Land Weapon which according to this post is "Right from Deathmarrow". Right from Deathmarrow to control all of the LD in the realm? (that actually sounds a bit scary...)

Some more obvious forms of energy include Vitality, Value Points, Action Points. But each of the forms of energy are different and are used differently, I can't use AP to cast an outer circle spell but I can use heat to cast one. If I have an excess of AP and not enough heat I can simply run around for a little while to convert my AP into heat. Viscosity certainly also plays some sort of role in this too.

Todo: Learn how viscosity/land influences affects the conversion from AP to heat.

I'm not sure how close to understandable this is or if it follows what the thermodynamics textbook tried explaining but the closest thing I can think of to describe heat would be exergy (or work potential or usable work or action potential).

Some activities -say, walking through viscosity- take a fair chunk of personal energy and reduce our ability to do more of the similar for a while. Walking through viscosity also reduces heat and our potential to do stuff like spells or fighting capability. Walking in low viscosity or places that you are "better able" to go through increases heat to be used for the other stuff. Sitting alone in a place for a while not doing anything eventually will lead to your heat (and potential) being zero as you aren't doing anything and the environment isn't doing anything to you that might encourage you to do stuff.

I may be totally wrong, but i always associated heat with mindful effort exerted, or concentration.

Such as... if i'm concentrating really hard on something, I may not be exerting a ton of physical effort, but the mental degrees of effort are still there (it's kind of how I view spells and combat related heat).

If I'm trying to go somewhere, and the viscosity is thick or I'm on "not my homeland" territory (which is "unfamiliar"), then i'm expending physical effort as well as mental (making a conscious effort to get from point a to point b).

Eating cake.. that one I'm a bit fuzzy on but I'd assume it could be something like taking a med to increase one's focus, and that's why it increases heat as well.

I'm sure that there's probably other ways that I'm not thinking of at the moment, but the first two are just things that i noticed a long time ago and assumed was the connection.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting descriptions on this.   I myself prefer something akin to Amber & Intrigue.   Not so much "energy" in the literal sense, but Potential Energy.    Exergy is a great word!

Remember also that your "Experience" is also termed Heat, and was meant to be a core concept of MD.   That stored heat is also Stuff, but not in the same sense as I think "energy/willpower" describes.    It is experience, and potential.  Quanta of learning, or something I don't have words for, beyond "MD Heat".   :)  Ann. 1765 - [2011-03-25 00:21:59 - Stage 10]       

But then, while we are talking about Liquid Dust,  how would Heat relate also to the Heat Veins under all scenes, that 'flow' towards the GoE and down under it?    ;)

Heat veins, you ask?    =>  Ann. 2038 - [2011-09-30 04:22:37 - Stage 11]                                                 

In science:

Heat is simply a transference of energy between things that are at a different temperature. 

Why the transference occurs [naturally]? because all tends to its lowest energy state or chemical equilibrium.

[Many explanations can be given with physical chemistry laws, Gibbs etc, but I'm not willing to discuss those!]

Now one of the things I did when I was basically analysing this game for a paper in university There where several things I touched on. One of these was heat and its influence in the game. Since then it has not changed much. Actually it is likely the only thing that has remained and likely will remain a static constant. Ok lets get started. There are three different types of heat in MD there is Unstable Heat, Stable Heat, and stored heat. Stored heat is the simplest to understand. When I creature fights (Win or lose) it gains or loses a heat value. Think of stored heat as experience which can increase or decrease dependent on the results of a battle (along with wins and other things(I could go into battle but that is a completely different animal)). Luckily stored heat is the easy to explain and anything I said on stored heat is completely independent of Unstable and Stable heat.

Unstable heat and stable heat are completely separate. They are managed by the Elroin device in the top right corner. Unstable heat is gained by anything that is an action (anything that uses action points) which makes sense considering that organization balances to chaos. Any action that uses energy transfers potential or kinetic energy into a useless energy called Heat. When energy turns into heat inside our world it is lost into the universe as EMR (electo-magnetic Radiation). In the Magic Duel universe this goes through an intermediate step and gets captured (on the Elroin device) where it is more slowly released to the MD universe. We can also turn it into a stable energy by some sort of magical property of the Elroin Device to use later. It seems also through some magical means the more of it we have the more state increases we get per fight so to conclude this in a simple definition of what heat is in MD.

Definition: Heat is a Bi-product of action.

What you should actually define is what is the elrion device.