What should the Tree Be called?

smartalekrj

Tree Name  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanasia are you talking about true names? it's said that every living thing, plant/tree/animal has both a true name, and a given name, the true name being known only to the person themselves and any which they tell, it also holds great power over them

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I like to think it is nice that we're all close enough to tell each other frankly what we mean. *cough* I only wish Lulu would stop badgering me when I speak like that in real life..

I can understand what Thanasia is saying. Let's just call it Tree. It's even capitalized in the topic.

sorry but i have to say

SAGE FOR THE WIN

and back on the disscussion well what it is leading anyways

yes there is also a book called runemark that suggests about given names and real names and such

it is a good book about the gods of the old days and norse gods and such goblins and other things

the theory itself is in all sorts of books, dont know where it origionated though, i've read it in the Eragon series, but also in a series of books which i dont know the title to, main character in called maerid or something though, there's 3 books atm but should be more at some point

/ends slightly advertising of book lol

lol, we got off topic again.

That true name thing has been in lots of fantasy literature, mostly with things like elves and demons; I think it probably originated from religion or something, unless something really influential like LOTR mentioned it.

The idea derives from several different stories in multiple mythologies; there are countless examples. It's also used in fantasy work a lot.

Okay, this is a bit off-topic, but ugh, Eragon. That series got to be one of the worst fantasy series I read.. I can't believe a movie was made of it. Reminds me of Harry Potter. Especially in the second book. Well in any case, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, even if it is horrible in my opinion, so I'm not about to complain in detail.

Okay, this is a bit off-topic, but ugh, Eragon. That series got to be one of the worst fantasy series I read.. I can't believe a movie was made of it. Reminds me of Harry Potter. Especially in the second book. Well in any case, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, even if it is horrible in my opinion, so I'm not about to complain in detail.

Don't be so harsh on it; I liked it, it seemed like an interesting story (while I read it). The sequel just had a few holes, but so do many books. You're just bashing it because it's unfairly popular compared to other books. DX Silly. I've read many, many worse books.

... Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West is better than all of it together :P, but the movie eragon was bad imo.

And forbidden kingdom just messed the mythology up, but it at least had nice fighting scenes in it.

... Sun Wukong and the Journey to the West is better than all of it together :P, but the movie eragon was bad imo.

And forbidden kingdom just messed the mythology up, but it at least had nice fighting scenes in it.

I never watched the movie for Eragon. Just saw the commercial, and let me just say: Wth's with the actor for the protagonist? Was it so hard to find a good actor with dark hair to fit the description in the book? EH?

Well, they say the movie and the book are separate pieces of art, but urk. My immediate impression was that they were trying to appeal and cater to girls who would that look "hunkish." Sorry, my opinion, shouldn't judge by appearances anyway; still repulsed me very much. Seeing that commercial also made me sense the cliche-ness of the story even more. Something about actually seeing it amplifies that sense.

the film "eregon" i saw the idear

it talked about if you knew the name you had power over the object

but the concept is actually quite old

Also in Lore, dragons had their true names and if u found out what that name was, the creatue was at ur command. They cannot resist the call of their true name. Also....remember rumplestiltskin lol

BTW.....why does the tree need to be named? Does it have a part to play in the game or is it just for fun?

• 2 weeks later...

True names are a rather old concept, originating in religion, I think. They are not just from fantasy stories or anything, they hold a basis in reality. If you wanted to, there are loads of books on the subject, or with the subject in them, that are not fantasy books. (Just in case it sounds like it, I'm not bashing fantasy books or anything, I read them almost exclusively. ^^)

I don't think we should name the tree. Not anything suggested anyway. Glaistig was right about Sage, even though it's overused, I would pick it from all the others because it at least has a magical ring to it. Unlike Bob. Seriously, whats with Bob, Dave, and Steve? They are ok names... but not for a TREE. Especially a cool tree.

Bob may be nice, because of its shortness or simplicity, or whatever other reasons you pull up for it, but as (someone? sorry...) said, it is a metaphor for the common. It's a filthy name for a tree. I didn't vote, because the names offered aren't good enough.

Bob may be nice, because of its shortness or simplicity, or whatever other reasons you pull up for it, but as (someone? sorry...) said, it is a metaphor for the common. It's a filthy name for a tree. I didn't vote, because the names offered aren't good enough.

I dearly hoped no one reading what you and others are saying is named Bob. This is called a stereotype, and it is a filthy thing to transpose such things from real life into a game without need when there is enough of it already. Bob is a good name, and it is unfair to shun it because of a silly idea like that.

^all my opinion

Does the thing with the blossoming works? Has someone managed to make it blossom (except Mur in the testing)? And what is the purpose of making it blossom.

ps: Did I tell you that I HATE Bob?

I think a lot of people hate the name Bob...........no offence the the people who are named Bob..........>_>

I think he means the unresponsive tree Bob, not the name. @_@ Bob will not cooperate with me either.